Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Payload Optimized [The Definitive Thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Payload Optimized [The Definitive Thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 15, 2016, 10:27 am

Programs: DL Gold, UA Gold, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by NoStressHere
Okay, they can not gate check, which would also mean you can not carry it on.

What happens then? Pretty sure nobody is going to just leave their roll aboard at the counter and hope it gets there someday.
We were allowed to bring one bag on the plane and they would send anything that didn't fit on DL1843, the evening flight.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 10:37 am

Programs: AAdvantage, United MileagePlus, TrueBlue, Alaska Airlines Mileage Plan (starting 2016)
Looks like people in New England are tying to get a last minute ski trip in.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 10:47 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
'320's (and '319's) routinely fly TCON's on DL and other carriers and that's the way things are and will remain. The days of flying excess capacity are long gone.

Once in a great while, this will result in weight restrictions before loading and that's a bit of a hassle. Enroute, maybe a fuel diversion and a bit of a greater hassle.

But, that's better than losing a frequency which is the alternative.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 10:49 am
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Cool

Originally Posted by BostonPlanesAndTrains
We were allowed to bring one bag on the plane and they would send anything that didn't fit on DL1843, the evening flight.
It sounds like they are carrying a full load of horse manure.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 12:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
I HATE the 320 for that route. It would likely be worse for BOS-SLC due to headwinds.

Curious as to what cargo they are transporting from SLC that they're bumping bags off. I'd sure be pissed if I was told there is no more room for my carryon and it won't arrive until 11:30pm. That means pax won't be getting their bags until the following afternoon via the bag delivery service... basically a 24hr bag delay. Sounds like some comp coming.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 1:06 pm

Programs: Delta DM, SPG PLT100, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by rylan
I'd sure be pissed if I was told there is no more room for my carryon and it won't arrive until 11:30pm. That means pax won't be getting their bags until the following afternoon via the bag delivery service... basically a 24hr bag delay. Sounds like some comp coming.
Have you had bad experiences with DL's baggage delivery? I've only needed it once, on a tight connection in ATL where I made it to LAS but my bags didn't. The agent at LAS told me they would send my bag on the first plane the next day and it would be delivered by lunch. To my surprise, it was actually delivered to the front desk of my hotel around 3 am. It must have come in on a cargo delivery flight, because there were definitely no more ATL-LAS passenger flights going out the night before.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 1:17 pm

Programs: DL Gold, UA Gold, B6 Mosaic, Marriott Gold
I heard them mentioning something about the right side of the aircraft, possibly a non-critical issue with the engine/fuel tanks, I noticed a lot of vibrations so far (but I am sitting next to right engine) Anyways were only delayed 18 mins.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 1:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by BOSTransplant
Have you had bad experiences with DL's baggage delivery? I've only needed it once, on a tight connection in ATL where I made it to LAS but my bags didn't. The agent at LAS told me they would send my bag on the first plane the next day and it would be delivered by lunch. To my surprise, it was actually delivered to the front desk of my hotel around 3 am. It must have come in on a cargo delivery flight, because there were definitely no more ATL-LAS passenger flights going out the night before.
Its been about a year since I had a bag not make it and they had to deliver it, but yes that experience was... shall we say, less than stellar. My bag didn't get delivered until 2 days later at night. Luckily that was at home and not on the outgoing part of a trip.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 1:35 pm

I HATE the 320 for that route. It would likely be worse for BOS-SLC due to headwinds.

Curious as to what cargo they are transporting from SLC that they're bumping bags off. I'd sure be pissed if I was told there is no more room for my carryon and it won't arrive until 11:30pm. That means pax won't be getting their bags until the following afternoon via the bag delivery service... basically a 24hr bag delay. Sounds like some comp coming.
Really doesn't matter. A lot of the times Air Cargo is tagged "MUST FLY". Someone paid a good chunk of money for air cargo service and if DL gets the reputation for letting cargo sit on the tarmac then no one would ever use them.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 1:37 pm
Suspended

Why not VDB/IDB if the "payload" is so precious?
Old Mar 15, 2016, 3:27 pm

I had B6's delivery service once ring my doorbell repeatedly at 3AM then leave my bag in front of my rather large apartment building unattended after I had explicitly instructed them not to attempt delivery until at least 6AM (it was an option you could specify on their baggage tracking site)... I think I got some voucher out of that.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 4:16 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
This time of year (late winter/early Spring) can be tricky for winds. I flew ATL-LAX the other day and we arrived 45min early due to a lack of headwind.

It used to be commonplace for B6 to add a fuel stop on cross country A32x flights during high winds from the West (Late winter/fall). I'm not sure if they still do that, or just take VDBs and load more fuel. I suspect the latter as the former results in an operational nightmare.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 7:10 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
B6 still stops on cross-country flights to refuel when there are strong headwinds rather than VDB'ing. I too am surprised that the OP's story happened on an east-bound flight, when you would figure the winds are helping the flight.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 7:25 pm
Used to be PWMRamper

Programs: Marriott Platinum
SLC-MSP was also payload optimized tonight.
Old Mar 15, 2016, 7:32 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
I was on a new A319 from MSP-BZN that was payload optimized a couple of months ago. No cabin baggage could be checked, it all had to fit in the cabin. Weird given the relatively short distance.

Do the few added seats to the new A319/A320 configuration make this more commonplace?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.