Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Payload Optimized [The Definitive Thread]

Payload Optimized [The Definitive Thread]

Old Aug 4, 16, 5:11 pm

Programs: SkyMiles Gold, AAdvantage Member, Elevate Silver
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer View Post
Is the 2105 mile BOS-SLC route the longest route DL flies the A320 on?
Seems about right.... I can't think of any longer route off the top of my head. I've seen an A320 fly LAX-BOS in an IRROPS but the winds were in their favor.
Old Aug 4, 16, 5:41 pm

Programs: DL DM
Delta will often "payload optimize" a flight through reservations. If you look at DTW-PVG on the 744, they (frequently) only offer 309 of the seats for sale headed TO PVG
Old Aug 4, 16, 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by BostonPlanesAndTrains View Post
Currently on DL1059 SLC-BOS. The GA just made an announcement about that the flight is "payload optimized". They can't gate check any items so they keep on making the announcement. Delta, that is why you shouldn't fly a horrible A320 on the route.
FWIW you probably got a 320 with the small motors vs one with the bigger motors.

The issue is NW ordered A320s with the CFM56-5A1s (~ half the fleet) and the others with CFM56-5A2s The 5A2s have able 2K more thrust than the 5A1 engine. While that not might seem like a lot, for SLC which is hot and high it is.

Why DL can't change the trust plug and make them all 5A1s is a great question I can't answer. As far as I know it can be done but I'm guess it might have something to do with the fact those engines are sent out of house for overhaul and the power-by-the-hour agreement NWA signed doesn't allow it. Of the CFM56-5A is different from the CFM56-5B and CFM56-7B engines.
Originally Posted by GagaPilot View Post
Haven't seen many Domestic Flights referred to as "Payload Optimized" before. This is common on ultra long haul international (JNB, SYD, formerly DXB) and can be a reason why the flights commonly go out with seats to spare (can have a significant impact to Non-Revs). My guess is it was critical some out of the ordinary cargo was needed to be carried on this route.
It happens to the 320 fleet a good bit, again goes back to NW not going with the CFM56-5B engine over the CFM56-5A engine on all but the oldest 320s (when the 5B wasn't around)
Originally Posted by Often1 View Post
'320's (and '319's) routinely fly TCON's on DL and other carriers and that's the way things are and will remain. The days of flying excess capacity are long gone.

Once in a great while, this will result in weight restrictions before loading and that's a bit of a hassle. Enroute, maybe a fuel diversion and a bit of a greater hassle.

But, that's better than losing a frequency which is the alternative.
It isn't really about overcapacity or not. Both the 738 and 320 are more than capable doing transcons. The issue here is the motors and weight packages on the aircraft.
Originally Posted by TTT View Post
I was on a new A319 from MSP-BZN that was payload optimized a couple of months ago. No cabin baggage could be checked, it all had to fit in the cabin. Weird given the relatively short distance.

Do the few added seats to the new A319/A320 configuration make this more commonplace?
A 319? thats odd. That plane should have plenty of legs to do that route......

(DL's A319s have the same issue as the 320, 23K is the highest thrust you can go on the CFM56-5A for the 319 motors (5A3 and 5A4) the CFM56-5B7, which is what AA has on the few nAAtive birds are 27K motors. That allows them to be at full MTOW package. Its basically like the 73W fleet at DL, pocket rockets.)
Originally Posted by HDQDD View Post
"Payload Optimized" = euphemism for "overweight"?
Sometimes. Sometimes it can be other issues. IIRC when the 764 did ATL-DKR-JNB it was always payload optimized but I think it had more to do with the 764 having a somewhat small window for the CG because the plane is so long.
Originally Posted by mrbratty View Post
incorrect! Dl does not use a319/320 for transcon..they use 757/767.thank you.
no that isn't incorrect.
DL uses the 737/757/767/777/320/330 for transcons. At one point on of the longer routes in the system (LAX-TPA) was a 320. Went 737 once AA showed up on the route. (and 2x daily at times)
yaychemistry likes this.
Old Jan 20, 17, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
Payload optimized

Boarding DL1745 SMF-MSP right now. Lots of announcements about being payload optimized and that they won't gate check any bags, all bags must fit in the cabin. If the bag is still going on the plane what difference does it make if it's in the cabin or gate checked?

Boarding is going to be a mess, as per the usual at least 2/3 of passengers appear to have a roller bag.

When all the bins fill, what will happen? Will they check the bags on a different routing, or start IDB-ing people?
Old Jan 20, 17, 7:30 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TSA PreCheck
Is it a full flight? Delta has quite a few flights going out from SMF at that time...

But I'm not sure what they would do.
Old Jan 20, 17, 7:31 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, United Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by PV_Premier View Post
If the bag is still going on the plane what difference does it make if it's in the cabin or gate checked?
They are using the overhead bins as a control measure, once those fill up - that's max weight.
Old Jan 20, 17, 7:34 am

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat, SPG Gold, TSA PreCheck
Originally Posted by Youngmiler View Post
They are using the overhead bins as a control measure, once those fill up - that's max weight.
So they would vdb or idb a few passengers? It's going to be a tough sell to pax to not arrive at the same time as your luggage.
Old Jan 20, 17, 7:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Flying whoever is most convenient
Originally Posted by berliner5000 View Post
Is it a full flight? Delta has quite a few flights going out from SMF at that time...

But I'm not sure what they would do.
Packed to the gills as usual. 75 people or so on the upgrade list.

I checked my bag at the counter and there was no mention of weight restriction or otherwise. App says my bag is on the plane.
Old Jan 20, 17, 8:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 1MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC
They must have some high value cargo being transported or on a contract that takes precedence over bags.
Old Jan 20, 17, 8:27 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
A similar discussion from a few years ago:
Payload Optimization Flight

Some good post from Delta insiders.

I have heard it a few times on some relatively short flights (<1,000 miles). All depends on the winds, loads, cargo, etc.

The issue with gate checking is the way weights are calculated. Passenger + cabin baggage has a different weight calculation than passenger + checked baggage. Here is a news article with some details (recent average weight increases from 2005):
http://articles.orlandosentinel.com/...ter-of-gravity

Last edited by TTT; Jan 20, 17 at 8:37 am
Old Jan 20, 17, 9:08 am

Could be Cargo, could be projected headwinds, or rough weather, or far more checked baggage than expected.

Look at the media baggage allowance, and with today being inauguration day it wouldn't be shocking to see some media people leaving California's capital possibly on the way to DC.

1ST AND 2ND BAG

ADDITIONAL BAGS

Domestic

Same as regular baggage allowance if no more than 50 lbs. (23 kg)/62 inches.
If overweight / oversize, flat media rate of 50 USD/CAD* applies.

3rd-25th bags 50 USD/CAD* each if no more than 100 lbs. (45 kg) and 115 total linear inches*

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...ial-items.html
Old Jan 20, 17, 9:17 am

Programs: DL DM/MM, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat., Marriott Plat., SPG Plat., IHG Spire Elite/Royal Ambassador
Originally Posted by kop84 View Post

Look at the media baggage allowance, and with today being inauguration day it wouldn't be shocking to see some media people leaving California's capital possibly on the way to DC.
If anyone is going to the inauguration on this flight, then they'll miss the whole show, especially with a change at MSP! Anyone going to the event would have left yesterday at the latest! I'm not sure why you even mentioned that!
Old Jan 20, 17, 9:49 am
Suspended

Programs: DL DM, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Platinum, etc etc etc
Originally Posted by rylan View Post
They must have some high value cargo being transported or on a contract that takes precedence over bags.
So help me understand something, does DL NOT have dedicated cargo planes like CX, EK, CA, AS, LH, etc.????
Old Jan 20, 17, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); still teleworking with the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.3MM; AS MVPG 75K
Originally Posted by vincentharris View Post
So help me understand something, does DL NOT have dedicated cargo planes like CX, EK, CA, AS, LH, etc.????
that is correct ... they haven't run an all-cargo subfleet since the early 1960s; I think NW had some cargo 747s in service as late as ~2000
Old Jan 20, 17, 10:10 am

Originally Posted by audidudi View Post
If anyone is going to the inauguration on this flight, then they'll miss the whole show, especially with a change at MSP! Anyone going to the event would have left yesterday at the latest! I'm not sure why you even mentioned that!
They may not be covering the inauguration itself as yes they would be too late, but there are tons of marches and protests to cover tomorrow.

Search this Thread
Search Engine: