Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Emotional Support Animals, Service Dogs and Comfort Pets: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emotional Support Animals, Service Dogs and Comfort Pets: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Jan 15, 2016, 5:51 pm

There really are no words.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 12:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I'm in the LAX SC now and there's a little rat like dog that staff claim is an emotional support animal. They seem to know it well as when the woman rushed to enter the lounge before me, she went immediately behind the desk so that her friend could greet and play with the dog. No credentials were checked so I assumed that it was an employee bringing her pet to work.

Last edited by MSPeconomist; Jan 17, 2016 at 9:01 pm
Old Jan 17, 2016, 1:06 pm

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I'm in the LAX SC now and there's a little rat like dog that staff claim is an emotional support animal. They seem to know it well as when the woman rushed to enter the lounge before me, she went immediately behind the desk so that he friend could greet and plY with the dog. No credentials were checked so I assumed that it was an employee bringing her pet to work.
Could it not just be a frequent traveler who brings her ESA dog into the lounge when she travels?
Old Jan 17, 2016, 1:49 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by zitsky
Could it not just be a frequent traveler who brings her ESA dog into the lounge when she travels?
That'd be my guess. Except I think you meant to say "pet". Not actual trained emotional support animal.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 2:23 pm

Originally Posted by Zeeb
That'd be my guess. Except I think you meant to say "pet". Not actual trained emotional support animal.
"Staff claim is an emotional support animal"
Old Jan 17, 2016, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zeeb
No federal regulations requires that pets be trained to serve as "emotional support animals."

Emotional support animals are pets that help alleviate/mitigate travel anxiety of those suffering from emotional and mental disabilities.
Old Jan 17, 2016, 11:24 pm

Programs: QF PS, EK-Gold, Security Theatre Critic
Originally Posted by EditingFX
no f'ing way would i sit next to that
I would.

(Note to self: if I ever have to fly in the USA again, carry on a roasting pan, box of stuffing mix and 3.4 oz jar of cranberry sauce just in case. Only book 3+ hr flights. Mmmm mmm. Shouldn't this thread be in Dining Buzz?)
Old Jan 18, 2016, 5:17 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by RadioGirl
I would.

(Note to self: if I ever have to fly in the USA again, carry on a roasting pan, box of stuffing mix and 3.4 oz jar of cranberry sauce just in case. Only book 3+ hr flights. Mmmm mmm. Shouldn't this thread be in Dining Buzz?)
Don't forget the turkey baster.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 9:05 am

Originally Posted by RadioGirl
I would.

It is always easier to use a fresh turkey than waiting for one to thaw out. Sit in F and they will give you a knife to use.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 9:14 am

Programs: Delta DM, SPG PLT100, Marriott Gold
I saw another dog being walked onto a plane with a leash but no carrier on BOS-ATL last night. It definitely was not trained as well as an actual support animal would be (it wasn't barking or being too horrible, but it did walk around and sniff things and have to be pulled by the leash during boarding). I would have been very annoyed if I had to sit next to it, but I was up front and the dog was somewhere way in the back. I never heard any complaints, and the plane took off on time, so I guess no one complained. I certainly would have though.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 5:10 pm

Programs: UA1K, LH GM, AA EXP->GM
Originally Posted by FWAAA
..Emotional support animals are pets that help alleviate/mitigate travel anxiety of those suffering from emotional and mental disabilities.
Among a great many other things....

If I lived in the US, I'd get that cert too - simply because I'd feel financially irresponsible to pay the pet-haul fee for transporting my parrots. Plus they love to be outside of the cage so it's a win-win for everyone accept for the broad public and the airline.
Old Jan 18, 2016, 7:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
This animal thing is totally getting out of hand... What's next, emotional support Python?
Old Jan 18, 2016, 7:45 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by mnredfox
This animal thing is totally getting out of hand... What's next, emotional support Python?
A python would be more emotionally supportive than a turkey as the snake can at least hug its owner (to death).
Old Jan 19, 2016, 7:13 am

Originally Posted by mnredfox
Wouldn't that be excluded under the category, possible threat to other pax?
Old Jan 19, 2016, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Nah, just bring a smaller one so its only a threat to the other emotional support animals :P

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.