Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Emotional Support Animals, Service Dogs and Comfort Pets: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2015, 10:58 am

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
My interpretation is that the OP was traveling alone and had to move out of a bulkhead seat in order to accommodate a passenger with a service dog in a bulkhead seat.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 11:01 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
However, if we interpret 10A as the OP's seat assignment, then the OP was not on the side of the aircraft where the special needs seats are normally located, although I have seen service dogs in the A bulkhead window seats rather than on the F side of narrow body aircraft.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Originally Posted by prelude410
I was in 10a going ATL to FLL Monday and I just got a call from Delta forcing me out of my bulkhead seat. I got moved 15 rows back. Is this federal law? I didn't know about this. We have a service dog for my brother and had no clue we were able to "force" people out of their seats? Or maybe I am just not knowledgable about US laws. I, of course, changed w no issues
All seat requests (your request for 10A) are requests. The Bulkhead is reserved for people who need them (whatever the definition) and can/will be reassigned if needed. I think there is actually some verbiage about that as well as bassinet rows...

When you click on a seat it is only a request. The airline just has to provide "a" seat to you. Not that I agree with what happened to you but that is the way it has always worked.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 11:10 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
At least the OP was notified in advance and given the opportunity to keep checking for better seats. Most people only learn at check in that their seats have been moved.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 11:11 am

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz President Circle
Originally Posted by CarmenOM
My interpretation is that the OP was traveling alone and had to move out of a bulkhead seat in order to accommodate a passenger with a service dog in a bulkhead seat.
Yup, I am traveling alone and was in bulkhead 10a. There were no economy comfort seats available so she forced me back 15 rows. I guess good to know for future! I just didn't know about it.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 11:38 am

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
I was in the PBI airport last month and encountered a Westie in a service dog vest.

I was a Westie owner for 15 years (my Daisy died of a brain tumor at age 15 in 2011).

If I ever get another Westie, maybe I'll try to qualify it for service dog status so that it can travel with me in style.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 11:44 am

Location: Michigan's West Coast and wherever my clients need me
Programs: Delta Diamond (2+M MQMs), Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ND76
If I ever get another Westie, maybe I'll try to qualify it for service dog status so that it can travel with me in style.
An animal does not have to "qualify" as a service animal to be let onboard as such by Delta airlines. I have seen countless people bring their pets onboard; all they did was tell Delta that it helps them with a nervous condition.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 11:47 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ND76
No need to try. Just buy the vest and order a certificate from the internet. Delta can't ask you to prove anything.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 11:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Delta's rules make a clear distinction between service animals (trained, with access mandated by Federal law) and support animals, in a way that the OP and certain other posters do not.

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...e-animals.html
Old Jul 7, 2015, 11:50 am

Originally Posted by jwlowry
An animal does not have to "qualify" as a service animal to be let onboard as such by Delta airlines. I have seen countless people bring their pets onboard; all they did was tell Delta that it helps them with a nervous condition.
Don't confuse a "service" animal with an "emotional support" animal. Some folks go the emotional support animal route to get around paying the pet fees.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 11:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
I travel with a Cheetah for emotional support. I can let him run around out back or keep him with me on the bulkhead...your choice.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 12:17 pm

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
FWIW, as of July 1, it is now a 2nd degree misdemeanor in Florida to knowingly and willingly misrepresent an animal as a service animal.

Of course it is also against the law in Florida to text while driving and to block the left-most lane when faster moving traffic wants to pass.
Old Jul 7, 2015, 7:57 pm

Programs: Delta DM, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz President Circle
upgrade confirmed today so no worries now
Old Dec 23, 2015, 6:54 am

Programs: FB Gold Privilege

Not sure if this fits the DYKWIA bill but I'll post it anyway. Right now I'm in the JFK SC. There is a guy with a little dog, took it out of the crate, put it on the fabric chair next to him, and started feeding him pieces of food taken from the breakfast bar, like a boss. Barf.
Old Dec 23, 2015, 7:06 am

Originally Posted by fjord
Not sure if this fits the DYKWIA bill but I'll post it anyway. Right now I'm in the JFK SC. There is a guy with a little dog, took it out of the crate, put it on the fabric chair next to him, and started feeding him pieces of food taken from the breakfast bar, like a boss. Barf.
Did you report this to the dragons? If the dog is a pet, it isn't allowed to be out of the carrier or unleashed in a SC. If the dog is eating, it should have been charged the admission fee unless the owner has an Executive membership.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.