Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Emotional Support Animals, Service Dogs and Comfort Pets: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emotional Support Animals, Service Dogs and Comfort Pets: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2015, 8:03 pm

Programs: DL PM
What service animals have you seen on DL flights? A turkey????

Before boarding my SLC-SEA flight I came across a woman who had a full grown, live turkey as a service animal (2 years old). She had just flown from SEA-SLC. She had said that the turkey flew on her lap on the flight, not in it's own seat. I unfortunately did not ask if she was in Y or F.

What other "emotional support companions" have you seen on flights where the pet was on the passenger's lap, not in it's own seat?
Old Dec 25, 2015, 8:16 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Well, at least she pardoned it for Christmas dinner!

Old Dec 25, 2015, 8:17 pm

Programs: DL GM, Hilton Silver, IHG Platinum
Originally Posted by zitsky
IMHO, dog owners in general have a grossly exaggerated idea of what is appropriate. They think everyone just loves dogs and they don't understand why people have an issue with their saliva and germs (and poo). I like dogs, but they don't belong in a lounge unless in a carrier.

Yes, I'm a cat owner and you won't see my cats drooling over the food in the lounge. They'll be at home where they belong.
IMHO, as a dog owner, this is a grossly exaggerated view of dog owners. That said, I completely agree dogs don't belong in the lounge. I would go further to say forget the in a carrier, only service dogs should be allowed in. Of course my view is also biased because as the owner of a large dog (80 lbs) I get upset seeing all the people who travel with their pet and think rules don't apply to them. For example last week I had a layover in MSP, I saw no less than 10 dogs on leashes walking around the airport (yes I kept a running tally). Each of these pet owners had a carrier with them but the dog was out of it. MSP's policy is that "All non-service animals must be kept kenneled while in the airport's facilities." So each of these people got to pay around $125 to ignore the rules. If I want to travel with my dog I can't even guarantee that she'll on the same flight as me, and it will cost $500+. (and because she has the dog version of autism she needs an emotional support person so she'd probably howl the whole flight)
So yeah some dog owners get pretty upset about the people who don't follow the pet rules too. Of course I teach my dogs to heel very tightly and not approach people unless told to (and then I usually have the person who asks approach them) so I'm probably not the best example of a dog owner for your purposes.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 8:49 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by davetravels
Well, at least she pardoned it for Christmas dinner!

...or was flying it home for Christmas Dinner
Old Dec 25, 2015, 8:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
A turkey with a turkey.

Nice.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 12:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I thought DL had a specific list of animals that could come into the cabin as service and emotional support animals. IIRC household birds like parakeets and parrots are allowed but not farm animals. OTOH some of the middle eastern carriers allow falcons, even sitting on the owner's arm. I wonder whether a falcon would attack and eat a turkey.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 1:27 am

Programs: DL PM
There was no way this turkey was going to be eaten, ever. She was petting it like a dog, and some friends actually saw her walking it in Downtown Seattle, on a leash.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 1:50 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
I STILL want to bring my fully-grown emotional-support boa constrictor. Her name's Fluffly. She's absolutely ADORABLE! And if she gets hungry during the flight, I'm sure she can slither around the cabin and find SOMETHING living to eat - unrestrained warm-blooded mammals are her favorite! It's so calming to watch her stun her prey then eat.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 7:46 am

Yes, there is very much abuse of the service dog and emotional support animal rules and it is growing. It is becoming easier, cheaper and more convenient than getting a pet sitter or a kennel. TOO easy.

I use a pet sitter, but I would go the service/emotional support route if I absolutely had to fly a large dog. When you put a pet in a crate in the hold you take a terrible chance. Those conditions are stressful, even dangerous, and totally beyond your control how long before you get your pet back. Not just during flight, but additional hours before and after the flight waiting on the Tarmac on in a warehouse stuck in a crate in the heat or cold. I understand how people don't want to chance that. I wouldn't unless it was beyond driving distance and there was no alternative.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 8:01 am
Suspended

Programs: DeltaPrivateJet, Ritz PP, Delta 4 million miler - Flying Colonel; AA Exec Plat (3 million + USAir)
Originally Posted by WWads
This whole "comfort" animal thing is out of control. If you don't have a legitimate physical limitation, your animal needs to stay in a carrier, or at your house.

Too bad the airlines are too cowardly to try to stop the practice. If I was allergic to dogs and saw one sitting in my seat, I'd demand that the dog and its owner be offloaded. Then again, people with "comfort" animals seem to have more passenger rights than the rest of us, so I'd probably be the one left at the gate.
The above is another example of a DYKWIA who does not care of another's needs
Old Dec 26, 2015, 8:15 am

Originally Posted by Tizzette
Yes, there is very much abuse of the service dog and emotional support animal rules and it is growing. It is becoming easier, cheaper and more convenient than getting a pet sitter or a kennel. TOO easy.

I use a pet sitter, but I would go the service/emotional support route if I absolutely had to fly a large dog. When you put a pet in a crate in the hold you take a terrible chance. Those conditions are stressful, even dangerous, and totally beyond your control how long before you get your pet back. Not just during flight, but additional hours before and after the flight waiting on the Tarmac on in a warehouse stuck in a crate in the heat or cold. I understand how people don't want to chance that. I wouldn't unless it was beyond driving distance and there was no alternative.
It doesn't seem right to lie when it's convenient for you. Tell me again about abuse of the rules. Unless you are moving overseas, you could always drive cross country as an option. Sure it may not be pleasant but the options are more than crate or fake support animal. Your post seems to imply that you recognize that driving is an option for some people. Sure crates can be scary but most pets are ok.

I realize it's not easy flying with large dogs. I have driven and flown with cats but those are much easier. I may be moving cross country in a year or two. I will probably drive with my cat as he is big and might not be comfortable under the seat in a soft carrier.

Last edited by zitsky; Dec 26, 2015 at 9:08 am
Old Dec 26, 2015, 9:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by BeatCal
The above is another example of a DYKWIA who does not care of another's needs
No, I'm just a passenger who doesn't want unnecessary animals loose in the cabin. If you aren't blind, prone to seizures, etc, you DO NOT NEED to have Scruffy loose in the cabin with you. Ten years ago, people flew just fine without "emotional support" from their pet.

As evidenced by the previous post, the number of people who are willing to lie just to avoid the pet fee is significant. The airlines were stupid enough to allow this practice, and now it's being heavily abused. What happens if there is an emergency? People already don't leave their carryons behind if they have to evacuate. I could totally see someone holding up an evacuation to get their pet off the plane. People > animals

I didn't know that being allergic and objecting to there being a dog on your seat made someone a DYKWIA. You learn something new every day...

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Dec 26, 2015 at 9:09 am
Old Dec 26, 2015, 9:10 am

I didn't know that being allergic and objecting to there being a dog on your seat made someone a DYKWIA. You learn something new every day...
Agreed. +1
Old Dec 26, 2015, 10:20 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
What happens if there is an emergency? People already don't leave their carryons behind if they have to evacuate. I could totally see someone holding up an evacuation to get their pet off the plane. People > animals
When I flew with the late great Five cat, (used to joke that with what I paid for him to go in-cabin, he should get his own frequent flyer miles) it was made clear at check-in that I wasn't allowed to sit in an exit row seat because it was assumed my first priority would be grabbing my little pal's carrier and not opening up the door upon crew instruction.

Spousal Unit works at a school that has a fair number of students who are doing VA vocational rehab retraining, including some with severe PTSD. The disabilities coordinator there is pretty hard core about - "properly trained service animals are of course welcome, it you need an 'emotional support animal', this isn't the school for you" because of incidents of people bringing barely housebroken large breed puppies to class and claiming that they were ESAs. And then the dog would go on extended barking jags, the student would refuse to remove the dog from the room, and it would be a trigger for the veteran with diagnosed PTSD.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by zitsky
It doesn't seem right to lie when it's convenient for you. Tell me again about abuse of the rules. Unless you are moving overseas, you could always drive cross country as an option. Sure it may not be pleasant but the options are more than crate or fake support animal. Your post seems to imply that you recognize that driving is an option for some people. Sure crates can be scary but most pets are ok.

I realize it's not easy flying with large dogs. I have driven and flown with cats but those are much easier. I may be moving cross country in a year or two. I will probably drive with my cat as he is big and might not be comfortable under the seat in a soft carrier.
We are on the same page about this. Like I said, I use a pet sitter. Or I would drive with my dogs if I could. But absolutely I would lie to keep my dog in the cabin on an overseas flight. My son's large dog flew in the hold when he moved to Europe. We drove the distance to an airport where it was only a 7-1/2 hour non-stop flight but it required checking him in 3 hours in advance, and due to arrival time there was nobody to check him out for 4 hours after landing. So 14 hours in a crate in strange surroundings, unable to comprehend what was happening. Badly dehydrated, never a chance to relieve himself, stressed out and in pretty bad shape.

Last edited by Tizzette; Dec 26, 2015 at 12:12 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.