Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Emotional Support Animals, Service Dogs and Comfort Pets: The Definitive Thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Emotional Support Animals, Service Dogs and Comfort Pets: The Definitive Thread

Search this Thread

Old Dec 26, 2015, 12:37 pm

Programs: DL DM
If the dog is eating, it should have been charged the admission fee unless the owner has an Executive membership.[/QUOTE]

Please tell me you are joking
Old Dec 26, 2015, 1:04 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM
Though a bit of a read -- and it's actually a really *great* and funny (but troubling) read -- this New Yorker article shows how easy and ridiculous the whole comfort animal thing has become. The author shows how easy it is to obtain a certificate and then proceeds to bring the most absurd animals around, including an alpaca, turtle, snake, etc. -- http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...0/pets-allowed

I'm all about allowing people who have serious medical conditions, including anxiety, that affect their ability to fly or get around -- this includes vets who might need comfort animals after coming home with serious PTSD -- but there is a point at which this becomes a little over the top. Don't ask me where to draw the line because I don't know where it would be.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 1:28 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by WWads
The airlines were stupid enough to allow this practice
Is this something the airlines had a say-so in, or is this an ADA law requirement?

That said, when I search eBay for "emotional support dog vest, there are quite a few listings!

There are also listings for these:

So, I guess anyone can take a pic of their TURKEY and put it on an ID card!

Note the blue banner on the left that says:

"FULL ACCESS REQUIRED BY LAW"

For $5 more ($26.95), you can get one with a nifty hologram on it that says:

"GENUINE SEAL OF AUTHENTICITY" + "SECURE" + "VALID"

Last edited by davetravels; Dec 26, 2015 at 1:45 pm
Old Dec 26, 2015, 1:28 pm

Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
Though a bit of a read -- and it's actually a really *great* and funny (but troubling) read -- this New Yorker article shows how easy and ridiculous the whole comfort animal thing has become. The author shows how easy it is to obtain a certificate and then proceeds to bring the most absurd animals around, including an alpaca, turtle, snake, etc. -- http://www.newyorker.com/magazine/20...0/pets-allowed

I'm all about allowing people who have serious medical conditions, including anxiety, that affect their ability to fly or get around -- this includes vets who might need comfort animals after coming home with serious PTSD -- but there is a point at which this becomes a little over the top. Don't ask me where to draw the line because I don't know where it would be.
I've read that before. Still makes me furious with people who pretend to have ESA's just to get what they want. I guess it doesn't matter if it makes noise or defecates somewhere, as long as the owner is happy, right?
Old Dec 26, 2015, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by zitsky
I've read that before. Still makes me furious with people who pretend to have ESA's just to get what they want. I guess it doesn't matter if it makes noise or defecates somewhere, as long as the owner is happy, right?
Welcome to modern America. Maximize personal pleasure, screw everyone else...
Old Dec 26, 2015, 2:19 pm

Programs: Delta PM, 1MM
The service animals covered by ADA law are those that have been trained to perform specific tasks for people with disabilities. That does not include emotional support animals who are there because it comforts the owner to have the animal's company. There are psychiatric support animals that have been trained to anticipate a panic attack (for example) and take actions to calm the owner, but that is not the same as an untrained emotional support animal. Most airline employees will not question whether an emotional support animal has been trained for its role.

Here is information from the ADA website:

http://www.ada.gov/regs2010/service_animal_qa.html
Old Dec 26, 2015, 2:32 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
If one needs an animal for emotional support and I mean "need" in the sense he/she cannot fly otherwise, he/she shouldn't probably be flying.
In case of an emergency this person will in all likelyhood hinder evacuation, for one.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 2:37 pm
Suspended

There's no room — let alone tolerance — for that kind of common sense in present-day America. The inmates took over the asylum long ago.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 2:40 pm

Programs: DL DM, Marriott PE
Flew IND-ATL with a large dog today. He laid across the exit row at the feet of other passengers because he was far too large to go under the seat. Absolutely not a service dog. The ADA does not require this. Delta simply allows it.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 2:46 pm
Suspended

Hard to blame Delta, though. Not trying to turn this into a political thread, but the U.S. news media is so dishonest that the passenger would almost undoubtedly be portrayed as a victim of discrimination if Delta turned him/her and the dog away, and then a zillion self-righteous dimwits on Facebook and Twitter would be slamming Delta and calling for action.

It's much lower-risk for Delta and the other airlines to inconvenience two or three passengers, who are highly unlikely to go public and risk being labeled as heartless jerks, than risk a p.r. backlash. This nonsense will get worse and worse until the silent majority stops being so silent.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 2:48 pm

Programs: DL PM/MM, Hilton Silver, SPG+, Hertz PC
I'm afraid that's precisely the reason.

I thought animals cannot be in an exit row, though. Unless they can positively answer the FA spiel with an audible "yes", that is.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 2:54 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by huskerchad
Flew IND-ATL with a large dog today. He laid across the exit row at the feet of other passengers because he was far too large to go under the seat. Absolutely not a service dog. The ADA does not require this. Delta simply allows it.
The exit row? Seriously? Not only obstructing the exit but if the pax is claiming a disability enough to have a service dog or ESA, that alone should disqualify them from the exit row. Not to mention the very serious danger to other pax of hindering anyone even getting to and opening the exit door and/or others not being able to deplane in a timely manner in case of emergency. The poor dog would be panicked in an emergency and would most certainly block the exit of those behind. I would definitely have spoken up if I had seen this. It could very literally be the difference between life and death.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 2:59 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Finkface
The exit row? Seriously? Not only obstructing the exit but if the pax is claiming a disability enough to have a service dog or ESA, that alone should disqualify them from the exit row.
In present-day America, pretending that disabled people aren't 100 percent as capable as non-disabled people is monstrously discriminatory.

Please report for reeducation at 9:00 AM on Monday.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 3:06 pm

Programs: AS 75k, UA peon, BA Bronze, AC E50k, Marriott Plat, HH Diamond, Fairmont Plat (RIP)
Originally Posted by jsk1973
In present-day America, pretending that disabled people aren't 100 percent as capable as non-disabled people is monstrously discriminatory.

Please report for reeducation at 9:00 AM on Monday.
Sincerest apologies (hangs head contritely in shame). (Insert sarcasm emoticon here)
Old Dec 26, 2015, 3:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by huskerchad
You need to file a complaint. The FAs should be punished for violating FAA regs.

If I'm on that plane, we're not taking off until the animal is removed from the exit row. The safety needs of the many outweigh the petty emotional wants of one person.

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Dec 26, 2015 at 3:12 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.