Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

GM got a complimentary upgrade before PM

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GM got a complimentary upgrade before PM

Search this Thread

Old Oct 13, 2015, 5:10 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, MR Ambassador, National EE
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I'm wondering how the OP is able to fly on a school day
"Online school"... Lol... I'll give OP one thing, they could actually be 16. As the parent of 4 grown adult children I will personally vouch for the fact that 16 year olds have an answer for everything and know everything there is to know about any and everything, lol. That said, no way in hell any of my kids would have been flying around the country at their leisure at that age.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 5:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
I go to an online school. I am able to work at my leisure, as long as I complete the assignments on-time. This is how I am able to travel so frequently.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 6:03 pm

Programs: DL
Slightly on topic, there is one bug and one security "flaw" I know about:

-The release of RU inventory is not synchronized with the upgrade system. There exists points in time where there is an upgrade available that hasn't been distributed to fliers. If you are PM/DM, check buying a ticket on your flights 4-7 days out. Sometimes you'll see "upgrade available" and if you book it, the upgrade will process immediately on the new ticket.

-Many portions of the name entered are not validated. For example, only the first letter of the last name at login is validated. The other letters must be there, but in any order. For example, "Smith" "Shtmi" and "Shtim" are all valid last names in the username+password+lastname system. Furthermore, only the last name and first initial are validated with "view my reservation". For example, John Smith, 54ASDF could "view my trips" as "Justplaindumb" "Smith".

Anyway, the 16 year old crowd likes to do something called "swatting" in which they use a caller-ID spoof among other things to make a report to local police that causes a home raid. Another thing "doxxing" is a research/social engineering technique that reveals personal details like phone number. For example with simply your phone number, someone could use a caller-ID spoof and call DL. The result would be an automated system that could divulge trip details like PNR without any actual conversation. From there, a last name + first initial could give full access to the reservation, including seat modification and cancellation.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 7:56 am

Programs: DL FO
Originally Posted by vsgvarun
I don't think this is the case. Usually when I call in myself, they ask me which trip, my full name, and because my tickets have been cancelled before, they ask to verify the address on file, my date of birth, email address and passcode documented.

How would somebody with the same name be able to verify all of my information? This seems like a case of someone that I know who is trying to do this just to cause me pain when I travel.

I also do not think it is a random person because what benefit does the person who is cancelling the tickets get?

I just can't think of anyone that would do this though... I will leave this to the police so they can trace the IP address, and or the phone numbers used to call DL and cancel the tickets.
Just a heads up that all of this information is available online. Anyone who googles your handle can find your email address and full name. From that they can find everything else. I'm not speaking hypothetically - I checked out of curiosity, and was able to find all of that in less than 5 minutes. The only wildcard is the trip, but I have a feeling that would be easy to glean from conversation. Giving the benefit of the doubt that you are 100% genuine here - please take some time to separate the internet trail for your work and social accounts.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 8:03 am

Originally Posted by mpheels
Just a heads up that all of this information is available online. Anyone who googles your handle can find your email address and full name. From that they can find everything else. I'm not speaking hypothetically - I checked out of curiosity, and was able to find all of that in less than 5 minutes. The only wildcard is the trip, but I have a feeling that would be easy to glean from conversation. Giving the benefit of the doubt that you are 100% genuine here - please take some time to separate the internet trail for your work and social accounts.
Agreed - if this is legit (and there are plenty of reasons to think it isn't) changing all the information on the skymiles account (including the FF number, which DL might do in this case) is a necessity. Too much info is available online and easily accessible by others. Disassociate the phone # from the account, too. You'll have to call skymiles support and get rerouted, but it should be possible.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 9:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by vsgvarun
None of my friends know all of this information about me; can't wait till this is over. I think the police are getting a warrant for all of DL's records so they can investigate further...
I can't imagine the police being so interested in this. Plus, if it's a friend or family member, do you want the person to be thrown in jail?
Old Oct 14, 2015, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I can't imagine the police being so interested in this. Plus, if it's a friend or family member, do you want the person to be thrown in jail?
I also can't imagine the police getting involved.

As far as being a friend involved, if they were doing this kind of stuff to the OP, then they aren't a true friend and I wouldn't have an issue with them getting arrested. If it's one of his friends and they are under 18 they will get a hand slap anyway and not go to Juvie or jail and it might be a good thing, imagine what they will be doing as adults if they are doing this stuff at kids. Might be enough to scare them into getting their act together.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
As I said, they won't be very interested (not enough damages). But there is the issue of "identity theft" so it can look like a felony bust if they want.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 12:07 pm

Programs: DL GM 1MM, MR LT Titanium
Forgive me if I'm missing something, but why are we talking about the police? Would they really care if DL's auto-upgrade system screwed up?
Old Oct 14, 2015, 12:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
Forgive me if I'm missing something, but why are we talking about the police? Would they really care if DL's auto-upgrade system screwed up?
The police are about another thread in which the OP claims that someone has been cancelling his flights.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 12:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Look at some of the OP's post in other threads and it will make sense. Sort of entertaining reading actually.

Originally Posted by LoganFlyer
Old Oct 14, 2015, 1:21 pm

Programs: IHG Gold,SPG Gold, HH Gold, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Delta Kettle, AMEX Plat, DL AMEX Plat
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I'm wondering how the OP is able to fly on a school day
The kid said upthread that he does online school. No set school days, no set school hours. I know a few kids in my town that do this so they can do their non-school winter sports.
Old Oct 14, 2015, 10:29 pm

Programs: DL Gold / AA Gold
If all this checks out that in a very short time span, you got screwed on your bookings and your upgrades.

My advice: change airline. You are not meant for this airline. God knows what other catastrophe you will bring to Delta (guessing when you turn 21 your unopened Woodford is filled with apple juice)
Old Oct 16, 2015, 7:22 am
Formerly known as scootr29

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.