Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

GM got a complimentary upgrade before PM

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GM got a complimentary upgrade before PM

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2015, 7:54 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Call DL and ask/complain. Is there a chance that the status associated with your ticket could be incorrect? Perhaps you moved from GM to PM after purchasing the ticket, although DL has been saying for a while that FF numbers don't need to be removed and re-entered in such cases.

Have you checked whether your flight currently has upgrades available? If so, a phone call should get you an upgrade.

I called the Platinum Medallion line and spoke with a supervisor who was able to verify that my friend who is a GM got a complimentary upgrade, and I didn't get one. She said that there are no seats available for a complimentary upgrade, and that she cannot control who gets, and doesn't get an upgrade.

She called the SkyMiles support desk and they said that revenue management releases upgrades automatically, and there is nothing further that can be done.

She told me to call corporate customer care if I wanted to complain.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 10:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by vsgvarun
I called the Platinum Medallion line and spoke with a supervisor who was able to verify that my friend who is a GM got a complimentary upgrade, and I didn't get one. She said that there are no seats available for a complimentary upgrade, and that she cannot control who gets, and doesn't get an upgrade.

She called the SkyMiles support desk and they said that revenue management releases upgrades automatically, and there is nothing further that can be done.

She told me to call corporate customer care if I wanted to complain.
Of course you should complain. This seems to be a verified case of DL not following its own published upgrade priority ordering.

I'd also try again with a different supervisor. Yes she doesn't control who gets the upgrade, but she should have verified that everything was OK with your reservation/ticket and associated upgrade request. She should also have done something to report the problem and have it fixed, such as starting a "ticket" for IT to investigate.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 10:13 am

Programs: Delta - Gold, Hilton - Diamond, SPG - Gold, Hyatt - Diamond
So I'm a GM that gets there on segments. Over 70 already this year. I pretty regularly get upgraded early on flights out of my home airport. I'm flying on the 14th this week and had upgrade for first clear yesterday morning.

I have no idea how the upgrade priority works with Delta as I'm never close on the list when I fly from anywhere else.

I am also a Platinum card holder for what it's worth.

I've always assumed that it had to do with the frequency that I am on this flight. Maybe some sort of little token.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 10:17 am

Ticket Price

Originally Posted by vsgvarun
I am new to FlyerTalk.

I also do not know the full upgrade policy for DL, but was unhappy when my GM friend traveling on the same flight as me (DL4981 from ATL-IAH on 11/14/2015) got upgraded, and I still haven't cleared. I am a PM at DL.

From previous posts, and from DL employees I thought that the order was Y fare medallions, DM, PM, GM, FO, companions.

How is this possible? My friend is a GM on a T fare. I am a PM on a V fare. My reservation still says "medallion upgrade requested".
It could be the ticket rice. An expensive Y and a GM will trump a less expensive one for a PM.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 10:19 am

Programs: DL DM, National EE, Hertz PC, IHG PL, Bonvoy Amb
Is it possible that your reservation did not have "Upgrade Requested" when the upgrades were issued?
Old Oct 12, 2015, 10:19 am

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by FlyingWithers
It could be the ticket rice. An expensive Y and a GM will trump a less expensive one for a PM.
A PM on a V fare is supposed to trump a GM on a T fare. No expensive Y fare class tickets are involved in this example. Look at the last paragraph of the post you quoted.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 10:23 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM 4MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat Elite, HH Diamond
Is you GM friend a Million Miler? Not that it is supposed to have any influence on the upgrade path, but I have been seeing upgrades handled a bit differently than what is published. Can't seem to drive an exact reason, but something is different.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 10:25 am

Originally Posted by DL Platinum
Is you GM friend a Million Miler? Not that it is supposed to have any influence on the upgrade path, but I have been seeing upgrades handled a bit differently than what is published. Can't seem to drive an exact reason, but something is different.
According to the published criteria, MM status doesn't make a difference.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 10:27 am

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by MarkCron
Is it possible that your reservation did not have "Upgrade Requested" when the upgrades were issued?
This is very likely the cause. If you start your booking while not logged in, it's easy to miss the checkbox you have to click and end up with a reservation where the status is "upgrade eligible" not "upgrade requested", and you're not on the list. Calling DL is necessary to fix it, unfortunately. It's ridiculous this happens, but you're definitely not alone.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 10:55 am

Programs: DL DM
[QUOTE

I am also a Platinum card holder for what it's worth.

I've always assumed that it had to do with the frequency that I am on this flight. Maybe some sort of little token.[/QUOTE]

Those two things won't affect your upgrade priority
Old Oct 12, 2015, 11:02 am
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Perhaps you moved from GM to PM after purchasing the ticket, although DL has been saying for a while that FF numbers don't need to be removed and re-entered in such cases.
That was my experience recently, went from FO to GM on an outbound and cleared 2 of 3 segments for the return at the GM window. (When I went from kettle to FO I did have to call in to have my existing reservations changed to "upgrade requested" but that's different...)

Originally Posted by BenA
This is very likely the cause. If you start your booking while not logged in, it's easy to miss the checkbox you have to click and end up with a reservation where the status is "upgrade eligible" not "upgrade requested", and you're not on the list. Calling DL is necessary to fix it, unfortunately. It's ridiculous this happens, but you're definitely not alone.
OP already noted his reservation said "medallion upgrade requested" so I don't think that's what happened here.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
OP: Was your ticker paid for at the time of the upgrade window and thus actually ticketed and not just on hold?
Old Oct 12, 2015, 11:31 am

Originally Posted by MarkCron
That was my first thought as well.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 11:43 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
OP: Was your ticker paid for at the time of the upgrade window and thus actually ticketed and not just on hold?
Thanks for all the help, I purchased the ticket online at delta.com with a credit card, and it always said "Medallion Upgrade Requested". I called Delta again, and I spoke with a supervisor, she stated that the upgrade was requested at the time of ticketing, but my upgrade did not clear.

I think that there was some kind of glitch in the system, and I will report it online in the Comment/Complaint section.

I think that since DL made the mistake and upgraded a GM on a T fare without clearing the DM's, and PM's, Delta should give me an upgrade to FC. This flight from ATL-IAH still has 6 open FC seats.

Let me know if my expectation is fair...

Last edited by vsgvarun; Oct 12, 2015 at 11:50 am
Old Oct 12, 2015, 11:51 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Perhaps DL is finally going all-in on making the medallion program revenue based. Make the fare class the first priority and medallion status the next priority. I have long advocated for something like this.

Upgrade Priority

DM on Y fare
PM on Y fare
GM on Y fare
FO on Y fare
DM on B fare
PM on B fare
GM on B fare
FO on B fare
DM on M fare
PM on M fare
GM on M fare
FO on M fare
etc.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.