Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

GM got a complimentary upgrade before PM

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

GM got a complimentary upgrade before PM

Search this Thread

Old Oct 12, 2015, 12:11 pm

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by vsgvarun
Thanks for all the help, I purchased the ticket online at delta.com with a credit card, and it always said "Medallion Upgrade Requested". I called Delta again, and I spoke with a supervisor, she stated that the upgrade was requested at the time of ticketing, but my upgrade did not clear.

I think that there was some kind of glitch in the system, and I will report it online in the Comment/Complaint section.

I think that since DL made the mistake and upgraded a GM on a T fare without clearing the DM's, and PM's, Delta should give me an upgrade to FC. This flight from ATL-IAH still has 6 open FC seats.

Let me know if my expectation is fair...
There are definite glitches in the upgrade system. It's just that most people don't know they are happening unless they are traveling with someone else with status and can discover the particulars.

You can ask for an upgrade, but I doubt DL will do so. Expect miles, that's about it.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 12:11 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Perhaps DL is finally going all-in on making the medallion program revenue based. Make the fare class the first priority and medallion status the next priority. I have long advocated for something like this.

Upgrade Priority

DM on Y fare
PM on Y fare
GM on Y fare
FO on Y fare
DM on B fare
PM on B fare
GM on B fare
FO on B fare
DM on M fare
PM on M fare
GM on M fare
FO on M fare
etc.
Delta has not posted anything like this. I hope this does not happen because a FO who travels twice a year internationally can get an upgrade on an M fare instead of a PM who travels every week on an U fare.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 12:14 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
There are definite glitches in the upgrade system. It's just that most people don't know they are happening unless they are traveling with someone else with status and can discover the particulars.

You can ask for an upgrade, but I doubt DL will do so. Expect miles, that's about it.
They gave me a $200 voucher and 10,000 miles...
Old Oct 12, 2015, 12:16 pm

I would not expect more.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 12:16 pm

Programs: DL DM PM
Excellent! I'm glad you reported it. Perhaps they'll find the glitch and fix it for the rest of us. And you may still get your UG from the waitlist.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 12:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by NotHamSarnie
Excellent! I'm glad you reported it. Perhaps they'll find the glitch and fix it for the rest of us. And you may still get your UG from the waitlist.
I might get the upgrade...

I wonder how many times this might have happened in the past, because if I wasn't traveling with my friend, I would not have known that there were any issues with this.

It's been reported, hope that Delta fixes it soon...
Old Oct 12, 2015, 12:27 pm

I might get the upgrade...

I wonder how many times this might have happened in the past, because if I wasn't traveling with my friend, I would not have known that there were any issues with this.

It's been reported, hope that Delta fixes it soon...
There have been upgrade glitches for years. Now and then, Mrs. TrojanTraveler and I are not next to each other on the upgrade list...same status, same itin, same record locator, same fare class, etc. And I have gotten some responses regarding why a pax (sometimes more than one) is between us on the list that have led me to have less confidence that the "system" works as it should.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 12:43 pm

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
I think that since DL made the mistake and upgraded a GM on a T fare without clearing the DM's, and PM's, Delta should give me an upgrade to FC. This flight from ATL-IAH still has 6 open FC seats.

Let me know if my expectation is fair...
What about the DMs and PMs that are higher fare classes than you? Shouldn't they get THEIR upgrades first even if they don't know your friend?
Old Oct 12, 2015, 3:04 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by DL-Don
What about the DMs and PMs that are higher fare classes than you? Shouldn't they get THEIR upgrades first even if they don't know your friend?
Correct. The Diamonds, and Platinums on a higher fare should receive the upgrade before I should. I made a general statement that DL should issue the upgrades in the correct order. I do not know who has been upgraded, and who hasn't. I just know that DL should not have upgraded a GM without clearing ALL DMs & PMs unless they are on a Y fare. My friend is on a T fare.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
Correct. The Diamonds, and Platinums on a higher fare should receive the upgrade before I should. I made a general statement that DL should issue the upgrades in the correct order. I do not know who has been upgraded, and who hasn't. I just know that DL should not have upgraded a GM without clearing ALL DMs & PMs unless they are on a Y fare. My friend is on a T fare.
If I were in your shoes and DL gave me $200 and 10,000 Skymiles for a complimentary upgrade (that carries no guarantees) screwup, I would be one happy guy. For me, $200 > than a chance at an upgrade on a short flight like IAH-ATL.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 3:47 pm
Original Poster

If I were in your shoes and DL gave me $200 and 10,000 Skymiles for a complimentary upgrade (that carries no guarantees) screwup, I would be one happy guy. For me, $200 > than a chance at an upgrade on a short flight like IAH-ATL.
I am not worried about the upgrade, just the principle that a GM can get upgraded before a PM in these circumstances. Unless I was traveling with a friend, I would not even have known that a GM was upgraded on a T fare.

If it can happen once without explanation from DL, it can happen multiple times without me even knowing. I would agree with you if it was a one-time screwup. Delta has not even told me why he got the upgrade before me.

Again, if it can happen once, who knows how many times it has happened in the past...
Old Oct 12, 2015, 6:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott/SPG Gold Elite
I am not worried about the upgrade, just the principle that a GM can get upgraded before a PM in these circumstances. Unless I was traveling with a friend, I would not even have known that a GM was upgraded on a T fare.

If it can happen once without explanation from DL, it can happen multiple times without me even knowing. I would agree with you if it was a one-time screwup. Delta has not even told me why he got the upgrade before me.

Again, if it can happen once, who knows how many times it has happened in the past...
I think it happens multiple times a DAY. I don't fly nearly as much as many of the folks on this board, and I've seen things that make NO sense all the time. I also lost my sense of entitlement long ago to something that's clearly identified as a perk and not an expectation.

Not to mention, I can't even imagine how complicated the system has to be to determine who should or shouldn't get an upgrade, and when. I know that MY software glitches all the time when it has to do much simpler things.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 8:09 pm

Perhaps DL is finally going all-in on making the medallion program revenue based. Make the fare class the first priority and medallion status the next priority. I have long advocated for something like this.

Upgrade Priority

DM on Y fare
PM on Y fare
GM on Y fare
FO on Y fare
DM on B fare
PM on B fare
GM on B fare
FO on B fare
DM on M fare
PM on M fare
GM on M fare
FO on M fare
etc.
Why stop there? Might as well go MQD for the ticket then tie breaker by Medallion status.

I am just kidding.
Still fine with upgrades by Medallion status and not fare buckets.
Old Oct 12, 2015, 8:12 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Anyone else surprised that the OP received a response to their complaint email in a matter of minutes (looks to be about 35 minutes from the time they posted that they would report it to when they posted the result)?
Old Oct 12, 2015, 11:05 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by TTT
Anyone else surprised that the OP received a response to their complaint email in a matter of minutes (looks to be about 35 minutes from the time they posted that they would report it to when they posted the result)?
I just submitted a complaint and got a reply in 20 min exactly.....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.