Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 14, 2015, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Summary of SkyMiles Upgrade Changes

Effective Aug 1, 2015, DM's on paid fares and no companions will no longer receive complimentary upgrades JFK-LAX/SFO. Delta's reps failed to disclose this in their June 14 announcement.

For travel on or after June 1, 2016, additional fare classes are eligible for SkyMiles upgrades:
Within North American and northern South America, L/U/T fares are now eligible. (Previously only Y/B/M/H/Q/K)
For all other markets, H/Q/K fares are now eligible. (Previously only Y/B/M)

SkyMiles Upgrade Awards will also require more miles. Prices for the following markets as quoted by multiple reservations agents: (Pricing is one-way)

(current chart based on observations has been moved to this thread: Upgrading with miles)
Print Wikipost

SkyMiles July Announcements

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2015, 3:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
Does Delta really think its Skymiles members are all idiots?
The answer is obviously, "Yes".

If you look back 5-6 years at every change they've done, it shows their intentions quite clearly. Sure, they'll throw you an odd bone to confuse you (one way awards, no mileage expiration), but for every step forward, there are three backward.

I'm sure that their actions would make a great marketing doctoral thesis. I think the title might be, "How to screw your customer, and have them thank you".
Old Jul 17, 2015, 3:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by RustyC
Nope. Not gonna do it...loyalty is a two way street and I won't give DL the revenue after all the negative changes. Still zero paid tickets on them this year, and not the easiest thing to do from ATL. I just have to burn off the existing balance.
I did the same after DL and NW announced their merger in 2008. I burned 90% of the 3 million miles in my accounts. Their actions even back then showed their sneakiness and lack of loyalty.

I never quite got to zero miles, and also credited some miles to them for some RGN F/J flights. I'll work to get it as close to zero before June 1st.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 4:31 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by uclacolumbiaunc
Does Delta really think its Skymiles members are all idiots?
I don't think so. I think they just don't care.

who would buy an economy ticket and use 30000 miles to upgrade while there is possibility to get a business award seat for as low as 25000 miles?
The obvious answer is that if upgrade prices are going upwards "dynamic pricing" is going to push reward tickets upwards as well.

Bye Delta. Even if I have to fly Delta with no other via choice, no way I am crediting the miles to skymiles. Maybe FlyingBlue or other skyteam programs.
Maybe this will be the straw that breaks the camels back. AmEx can't be to thrilled with this development, plus the pilot union contract rejection... Delta management is cocky and reaching too far.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 4:57 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by brocklee9000
I also would like to know how you did this. I'd almost be willing to drive to MSP just take advantage of that. Almost.
By paying attention to the very discounted business class sales that come and go.

My latest MSP-CDG discounted business class roundtrip ticket for the French
tennis open last month was bought in May of this year, and it cost me less than $1600 roundtrip. Even got at least 360 BA tier points for it and a large chunk of miles for that.

When it comes to personal, non-reimbursed premium cabin long-haul US-EU travel, I now buy more regular paid deeply discounted business class tickets than I buy award tickets. It's quite useful to be free of hunting and pecking for scraps from the US3's mileage program offerings.

DL Amex spending for the miles? Stupid. I'd be better off even with a cash back card. So DL Amex, go to the scrap yard.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jul 17, 2015 at 5:04 am
Old Jul 17, 2015, 5:40 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
My international trips have fixed dates and destinations so I can't shop around for the best fare anywhere in the world but i would like to know how you got such a good deal at the last moment for the French Open.

At least my corporate AMEX gives me points that I can use in ways other than flying on DL.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 6:21 am

Programs: DM/3MM
Originally Posted by naranjero
It looks like DMs are screwed with "secret" complimentary upgrades on TCONs. Oh well. I guess DL is closing the gap between cash and free upgrades for TCON J which has been out of whack. Elite experience of D1 will become even more elite and everyone will be happy. (Especially nonrevs.)

Sorry DMs, WJBJ.
But this makes them once again uncompetitive with AA. When they removed the upgrades before (using the "more exclusive experience, so just buy the J ticket logic"), there were a number of people that went over to AA. I'm certain that's one of the reasons that they reversed course and started offering upgrades again for DMs.

Only offering 2 RT upgrades (4 RUCs for the PM choice benefit) is not going to cut it. (And most will not sacrifice their 4 GUCs for 8 RUCs...and 4 GUCs is uncompetitive with AA EXP to begin with.)

Making the use of RUCs mandatory for upgrades on these routes is a reduction in DM benefits (but clearly benefits PMs). Taking away complimentary upgrades makes that worse. This will unnecessarily piss off their DMs in this market who have another choice, AA. And since you could still offer space available for DM upgrades after filling seats with certs, it just seems doubly punitive, for no apparent reason.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 6:39 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Xeno
My international trips have fixed dates and destinations so I can't shop around for the best fare anywhere in the world but i would like to know how you got such a good deal at the last moment for the French Open.
I'm not sure I would call it last moment (especially when most of my ticket purchases for my own trips are ticketed within well less than 72 hours of departure), but it was very easy. And having double checked one of the receipts, it was less than $1320 (USD) total price for a MSP-ORD-CDG-ORD-MSP routing in business class courtesy of the AARP discount (available to even non-senior citizens). Bought it a bit more than two weeks before the time of this post: http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.c...e-this-summer/

With prices like this in business class on regular paid tickets, I didn't have to rely upon booking an award ticket picking up scraps from the mileage program of a US3 airline. I had been looking at availability/pricing using DL miles, but DL award ticket pricing was very ugly unless purchasing separate tickets to get from MSP, ORD or NYC to Paris, and even then the award ticket pricing DL wanted was anything but uniformly acceptable.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 6:48 am

GUWonder (hijacking thread), did you get your French Open tickets through the official site, and if not, were you able to get tickets for a reasonable cost? I thought the prices were a bit steep (even tried to go to the one in Monaco and they were steep too). Just curious...we wanted to go to the French Open for a few days and decided against it because of the cost (and went to Spain instead).
Old Jul 17, 2015, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Grabbed a couple F seats to the Caribbean next Jan for 30k each way during peak winter season... thats right, full award ticket for the same price as the future upgrade cost.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 8:03 am

I was fortunate enough to get a very knowledgeable DL rep this am. She told me that the complimentary upgrades on the transcons are indeed going away, but they will still be in place up to and including July 31. So as of August 1, no more complimentary upgrades for DMs.

She said that there was a lot of noise around this, and highly encouraged me (and other DMs) to contact/complain via DL.com. She commented that if enough DMs complain, especially for something like this, it might get reversed. She gave me examples of other changes that were reversed due to a large negative reception by higher-ranking Medallions. FWIW.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I wonder if this will force the introduction of a true premium economy class on long haul Delta service?

The reason I think this might happen is that, if the devaluation is as bad as these early reports indicate, D1 class will become basically inaccessible to a whole class of people who had previously been flying in D1 using miles or mileage upgrades.

Many of us (myself included) simply won't sit in coach for a 10 or 12 hour flight. It would be under this circumstance that I would start to shop away from Delta. While I really can't afford to spend $4K-6K on a D1 seat, I very well might decide to bite the bullet and pay $2K for a premium economy seat on one of the many foreign carries who seem to able to offer this service (and no, the 4 extra inches in comfort plus don't cut it).
I will likely do the same. In the past would buy the M fare US-Africa (about $2,000 - $2,500 r/t) and use cert to UG wife and I. Now the fare is about $5,000/pp and UG is waitlist most often. I'm not gambling with $10,000 to not sit in J on either the ATL-AMS/CDG leg or the AMS/CDG-NBO leg. A true Prem Econ seat on Qatar or similar carrier would be a reasonable cost for a better than coach cabin. I honestly don't think DL truly understands the premium J market. They can have all the fancy writing and pics on their website but on board about the only that has any consistency is the food and that is not 100% of the time. If I'm paying $5-$7K/pp for a J seat long haul I want the service to be FAR better than what DL's cabin crews currently provide. Don't get my wrong, I'm a southern boy who generally loves all the DL FAs but service style/attitude expectations on a domestic US flight is FAR different than long haul international. I see nothing that tells me DL's head of inflight understands this or has any clue.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 8:29 am
k2

Originally Posted by naranjero
It looks like DMs are screwed with "secret" complimentary upgrades on TCONs. Oh well. I guess DL is closing the gap between cash and free upgrades for TCON J which has been out of whack. Elite experience of D1 will become even more elite and everyone will be happy. (Especially nonrevs.)

Sorry DMs, WJBJ.

On a side note, it's interesting how DL will manage with partner redemptions.
They're trying to lure DMs into picking RUCs so they had to shut down the free upgrade loophole. DL's flip flopping indicates they're still trying to figure out the NYC-LAX premium market.

But yes, this should be good news for nonrevs.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 8:35 am

Originally Posted by US1@ORF
They can have all the fancy writing and pics on their website but on board about the only that has any consistency is the food and that is not 100% of the time. If I'm paying $5-$7K/pp for a J seat long haul I want the service to be FAR better than what DL's cabin crews currently provide. Don't get my wrong, I'm a southern boy who generally loves all the DL FAs but service style/attitude expectations on a domestic US flight is FAR different than long haul international. I see nothing that tells me DL's head of inflight understands this or has any clue.
Completely agree. I have had mostly mediocre food, and more importantly, service, on my BE/D1 int'l flights for the past year. I am fortunate in that I can often buy my own int'l J tickets for leisure, but I am really starting to question as to if it's worth it on DL.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 9:08 am

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by bennos
If DL eventually introduces W, it won't be because they're removing upgrades to J.

Most people buy cheapest available. They don't care about these changes. Some people buy J outright (corporate policy or whatever). They don't care about these changes. That leaves a tiny, tiny percentage of people who jump through hoops to chase OU inventory or play games with gate waitlists. I suspect this number is typically between 1 and 4 per longhaul flight.

Meanwhile, W has been around for a while. You can even buy DL marketed W seats on 3 different carriers. If DL wanted to introduce a proper W service, it would be because they think people will buy it at a profitable price. (They must already have data on this based on their own sales.) That some people can't upgrade into J is not a reason to invest millions in a whole new product.
We will have to see-I don't think we have any idea about how many customers we are talking about. If enough people start purchasing true W on other carries it may force DL to take another look: Would it be more profitable for them to loose those customers, add a W class, or make it easier to upgrade to D1? The Amex is another factor here: We currently spend a lot of money on our Delta Amex for the specific purpose of having miles to upgrade to D1 for long haul flights. We almost never use miles on domestic fights unless it is a transcon redeye or something. If I no longer find value in those miles, than I will probably move most of my spending to my Amex platinum card and use the MR points for whatever I want.
Old Jul 17, 2015, 9:30 am

Programs: DL - DM MM / UA - PP / LH - SEN / Marriott - AMB-LTT / Avis - PC
I'm just at the point of "I don't give a f..." with these DL SkyMiles changes. I receive the emails, I see the threads and yes, I understand the frustration. But at the end of the day, I know that my loyalty doesn't mean anything to DL. I have many more things to care about and give my time and dedication to. I've just accepted the continued devaluation of the program and moved on. If the hard product was changing for the worse, then I'd feel differently.

Also, I apologize if this was asked already, but I never understood why JFK-LAX/SFO was treated differently than JFK-SAN. As SAN is my home airport, it doesn't bother me much, but I do fly in and out of LAX frequently.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.