Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 14, 2015, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Summary of SkyMiles Upgrade Changes

Effective Aug 1, 2015, DM's on paid fares and no companions will no longer receive complimentary upgrades JFK-LAX/SFO. Delta's reps failed to disclose this in their June 14 announcement.

For travel on or after June 1, 2016, additional fare classes are eligible for SkyMiles upgrades:
Within North American and northern South America, L/U/T fares are now eligible. (Previously only Y/B/M/H/Q/K)
For all other markets, H/Q/K fares are now eligible. (Previously only Y/B/M)

SkyMiles Upgrade Awards will also require more miles. Prices for the following markets as quoted by multiple reservations agents: (Pricing is one-way)

(current chart based on observations has been moved to this thread: Upgrading with miles)
Print Wikipost

SkyMiles July Announcements

Search this Thread

Old Jul 21, 2015, 10:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by EVA777
Typical FT response.

Good luck in your travels.
And to you as well. Seriously - find what works for you.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 5:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
I have just found HKG low as recently as last week. Here is a very quick look at NYC-DUB next month:

[IMG][/IMG]
Old Jul 22, 2015, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Is that free business class I see? 0k miles?
Old Jul 22, 2015, 9:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by javabytes
Is that free business class I see? 0k miles?
No idea why that happens but it books at low if you click it.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 12:09 pm

Programs: UA Silver, AA, WN, DL
Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
Convenience, reliability, and inertia.

It takes some people a very long time to change their behavior even when it makes sense to do so.

Not everybody is focused on the FF program and just want a convenient schedule and reliable operation.
True, but I guess if you're not in hub-captive area, you have options to address the convenience and reliability... inertia, on the other hand, is human nature. And as the saying goes, you can lead a horse to water...

Originally Posted by javabytes
What I'm doing isn't relevant to this thread. But if you must know, the camel's back was broken late last year. I ran to Diamond instead of ending the year at Platinum specifically so I could status match to AA EXP in Q3 of this year after passing the date where the status is good until 2017. I'm finally reaching my endgame just as DL is finally reaching theirs.
I dropped DL about a year after the NW/DL merger. I just couldn't accept how poorly they were treating elites, like charging a Plat $750 in award change fees (remember when they gave Plats 2 or 3 changes, then charged for every change after). Spent the rest of the time on UA till last year.

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
I switched to Alaska. I plan to top-off my Skymiles balance for a ticket to Europe or Israel and then call it quits. I will most likely cancel my Delta AMEX at the end of July unless AMEX gives me tens of thousands of Skymiles as compensation.
I canceled my DL CC last year when the new mileage earning program came in effect. I realized they were going towards the EOS program that had been speculated on for awhile. I figured I could still collect miles, but the writing had been on the wall.

Originally Posted by Oldogface
Well, I have 1.3 + million skymiles (sky feet?) in my account. No way I'll use them before next summer. Good news is I retire end of August, and will have flexibility to book based on best availability vice when I can get time off.

Why do I have such a balance? I couldn't make myself book at the exorbitantly high redemption rates.
I have close to 300K left. A year and half ago, I was still thinking of redeeming them for 2 business class flights. But every time I searched, it was impossible to find (330 days out or close in). Even looking for domestic economy, DL wanted 45K while AS, on DL's site, showed 25K. Of course the others (AA and UA) had avail at 25K.

So there they sit... waiting for a flight that I want to take that won't be overpriced compared to the other airlines. At this rate, I don't think they can ever be used...
Old Jul 22, 2015, 5:08 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Typical FT response.

Good luck in your travels.
Why don't you do your own research? Many AA partner awards, CX included, are not bookable online. You have to call. CX is one of the easiest airlines to find premium award availability on.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 5:53 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by MAH4546
Why don't you do your own research? Many AA partner awards, CX included, are not bookable online. You have to call. CX is one of the easiest airlines to find premium award availability on.
True. The person can also check CX availability on BA.com just like we can check Delta partner availability with a dummy Flying Blue account. (Not all FB availability is bookable with Skymiles, but it's close.)
Old Jul 22, 2015, 6:25 pm

Programs: AA PLT/3MM, UA GM/1MM, DL DM/1MM, FB Plat, AS MVP Gold, WN AList+
Burn Baby, Burn!

While I missed the impart of this announcement when it first hit my inbox, thanks to everyone on FT I was still an arrival to this party before it was too late. Some post 6/1/16 searches have convinced me that the writing is firmly on the wall, and the safest approach now is to burn now as pricing looks dreadful from the evidence that is available with my own eyes.

Even better, I am happy to say that I have since been able to burn down 1.3m SM for trips for Ms. CoMooter and myself in Biz internationally between now and 6/1/16 at the (formerly) 'low' rates since this very opaque announcement was made.

I still have 400K to go and hopefully I can get this below 100K in the next couple of weeks and then wait to better survey the wreckage that is left of the SM program without a huge balance of SM remaining to blow on 230K+ r/t in J to Europe as seems to be the trend.

I am not buying the "Most awards will stay the same" propaganda from VA Ave in the least...I have played this game with DL before during their major changes and the best tack is always to burn, back away and see what remains.

I am afraid by this time next year SM will be little more than a glorified clone of WN's destroyed RR program. Hence, just like my use of WN now, I will fly them when I need to but will not be going out of my way to fly DL...the value proposition with DL becomes more and more blurred.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why can't I find a single ATL - BKK saver J or F ticket using AA miles. Looked from now until the end of 2015. Guess the grass isn't greener for me.
Don't search on aa.com. Set up an account at www.awardnexus.com, which willl be free for you (for a bunch of searches, anyway) as a FlyerTalk member. (Look for the "more signup options" link below the green Purchase button at the bottom right.) Then do a OW (oneworld) search on there. (It'll search BA and/or QF for you, as you specify. If it finds something, then call up AA to book it, and explain that aa.com couldn't find it, and they should waive the phone booking fee in that case.)

The one downside of Award Nexus is that it uses up your free points fast if you have no idea what date you want to travel (it doesn't do an award calendar). But if you have specific dates (or a narrow range of dates) in mind it's really useful IMHO.

There's a lot of AA partners that don't show up on aa.com award searches, so don't assume that just because aa.com shows nothing there is nothing.

AA itself doesn't fly to BKK, so you'll need at least part of the flight on partners, and maybe it'll be all on partners. And maybe all on partners that don't show up on aa.com?

Last edited by sdsearch; Jul 22, 2015 at 7:59 pm
Old Jul 23, 2015, 5:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sdsearch
Don't search on aa.com. Set up an account at www.awardnexus.com, which willl be free for you (for a bunch of searches, anyway) as a FlyerTalk member. (Look for the "more signup options" link below the green Purchase button at the bottom right.) Then do a OW (oneworld) search on there. (It'll search BA and/or QF for you, as you specify. If it finds something, then call up AA to book it, and explain that aa.com couldn't find it, and they should waive the phone booking fee in that case.)

The one downside of Award Nexus is that it uses up your free points fast if you have no idea what date you want to travel (it doesn't do an award calendar). But if you have specific dates (or a narrow range of dates) in mind it's really useful IMHO.

There's a lot of AA partners that don't show up on aa.com award searches, so don't assume that just because aa.com shows nothing there is nothing.

AA itself doesn't fly to BKK, so you'll need at least part of the flight on partners, and maybe it'll be all on partners. And maybe all on partners that don't show up on aa.com?
Yuuuuup
Old Jul 23, 2015, 6:49 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by CoMooter
I am not buying the "Most awards will stay the same" propaganda from VA Ave in the least...I have played this game with DL before during their major changes and the best tack is always to burn, back away and see what remains.
^

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me
Old Jul 23, 2015, 7:08 am

Programs: AA, SPG, HERTZ, BA, UA, CO, JB
SkyMiles July Announcements

I laughed at Amex when the only cards they offer to convert me to from spg were delta cards. I swear that I will only get delta miles if they gave them away for free and will only fly delta if they are the absolute cheapest option.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 9:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by flyerwanabe1
I laughed at Amex when the only cards they offer to convert me to from spg were delta cards. I swear that I will only get delta miles if they gave them away for free and will only fly delta if they are the absolute cheapest option.
Delta is the absolute cheapest option.

Oh, you meant least expensive. Never mind.
Old Jul 23, 2015, 11:00 am

Why do people think that people will be dumping their CC in droves? I dont think people will be "dumping" delta credit cards just because skyrupiah is devaluing. Most people aren't smart enough to realize that Delta skyrupiah is worthless.

Again, Delta isn't looking to appease the "road warrior" who tries to get every benefit from their miles, which is to Delta's detriment.. That in fact, is the type of customer that they are trying to get rid of so they can make more profit!
Old Jul 23, 2015, 11:52 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by xcalibir
Why do people think that people will be dumping their CC in droves? I dont think people will be "dumping" delta credit cards just because skyrupiah is devaluing. Most people aren't smart enough to realize that Delta skyrupiah is worthless.

Again, Delta isn't looking to appease the "road warrior" who tries to get every benefit from their miles, which is to Delta's detriment.. That in fact, is the type of customer that they are trying to get rid of so they can make more profit!
Not overnight, but removing the awards charts was a big deal that not everyone has noticed yet. Going completely to "it'll cost what we say it costs" also will take time to filter through the non-flyertalk occasional flyers, but people will notice in the long run.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.