Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 14, 2015, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Summary of SkyMiles Upgrade Changes

Effective Aug 1, 2015, DM's on paid fares and no companions will no longer receive complimentary upgrades JFK-LAX/SFO. Delta's reps failed to disclose this in their June 14 announcement.

For travel on or after June 1, 2016, additional fare classes are eligible for SkyMiles upgrades:
Within North American and northern South America, L/U/T fares are now eligible. (Previously only Y/B/M/H/Q/K)
For all other markets, H/Q/K fares are now eligible. (Previously only Y/B/M)

SkyMiles Upgrade Awards will also require more miles. Prices for the following markets as quoted by multiple reservations agents: (Pricing is one-way)

(current chart based on observations has been moved to this thread: Upgrading with miles)
Print Wikipost

SkyMiles July Announcements

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2016, 5:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Nashville -Past DL Plat, FO, WN-CP, various hotel programs
Programs: DL-MM, AA, SW w/companion,HiltonDiamond, Hyatt PLat, IHF Plat, Miles and Points Seeker
Originally Posted by woodenshoe101
The questions will be: how much?.....
I looked at the Delta link and pages and could not find rates for upgrades, but the Wiki above does have some indications.

These upgrades are not cheap. My price for an actual seat (not upgrade) for CDG-JNB on AF-biz was 70k and ICN-DTW in D1 at 65k

For example - from the Wiki:
US-Europe:
Y/B/M: 60,000 miles
S/H/Q/K: 80,000 miles
Old Mar 7, 2016, 12:06 pm

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
I just called to book a EU-JFK r/t, with the return (overnight) in K so that I could use miles to upgrade. I can price it out on ITA with V for the outbound and K return, but the agent said her computer was forcing the outbound to Q, causing the price to jump $200. Can it be that you cannot combine V and K?

The extra $200 will get me more RDM and lower the co-pay for an AMS DoD upgrade by €300, but it's not guaranteed it will be available anyway, so I might rather just have a V-class ticket.

FWIW, making the return M added yet another $200, but would drop the miles required to upgrade by 20k, which might be a good move, since I always get more than 1cpm out of my miles. The extra $200 should net at least 2k more RDM too, effectively dropping the upgrade to "only" 58k. Either way I'm not sure that these rates are worth it for the upgrade, when one can find J seats for 62.5k. Might make more sense to use a GUC or hope for an OpUp (given that it's during high summer travel).

Last edited by EZEDoesIt; Mar 7, 2016 at 12:15 pm
Old May 18, 2016, 8:23 am

Bringing this topic back up since it still seems to be a giant mystery what the new post-6/1 mileage upgrade awards chart looks like. The one that was leaked last year may not be accurate based on my experience last night.

So I called GM desk to purchase a late-June one-way LAX-JFK flight for my mother and upgrade her to transcon D1 with miles. To my surprise, there was literally one upgrade available so of course I pounced. The rep quoted me 20K miles to upgrade + K class fare (7.5K more than the previous 12.5K). I asked if I could upgrade on a lower-tier fare but she told me it had to be K.

Here's the rub: The leaked chart says 35K to upgrade a K class ticket on a Premium Transcon Route which is substantially more than the 20K I got.

Has Delta come to their senses? 20K+K class seems much more reasonable than the chart that leaked last year.

Either way, feel like this needs some investigating.
Old May 18, 2016, 8:33 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
Yeah, the leaked chart must not be correct. I was quoted 60k for a TPAC upgrade from a Q fare. Chart said 80.
Old May 18, 2016, 9:00 am

Originally Posted by bruininabag
Has Delta come to their senses? 20K+K class seems much more reasonable than the chart that leaked last year.
If this it true it's great news! I used 80k to upgrade a TATL o/w, then cancelled it the following day because I thought the upgrade price was ridiculous.
Old May 18, 2016, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I've updated the wiki with a note that the amounts may have changed since last year. If anyone is able to obtain more information please do share. I published the original charts, which have been consistent with actual quotes to FTers over the past year. I will also try to get an update.
Old May 18, 2016, 9:37 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
I expect that the next redemption chart will have two levels:
Level 1 - All of your SkyMiles
Level 2 - More SkyMiles than you have.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
I have confirmed the mileage upgrade prices have, in fact, dropped. I don't have a full list yet but it is still a 2-tier chart (3 for domestic and shorter int'l).

US to Europe
Y/B/M: 30k
S/H/Q/K: 60k

US to Northern South America
Y/B/M: 25k
S/H/Q/K: 30k
L/U/T: 45k

US to Southern South America

US to Southwest Pacific
Y/B/M: 35k
S/H/Q/K: 80k

Last edited by javabytes; Jun 14, 2016 at 10:39 pm
Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:20 pm

I'm curious what it'll cost for Europe>South America when it's one fare.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:28 pm
Moderator: Hyatt; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: :rolleyes:, DL DM, Mlife Plat, Caesars Diam, Marriott Tit, UA Gold, Hyatt Glob, invol FT beta tester
Originally Posted by javabytes
I have confirmed the mileage upgrade prices have, in fact, dropped. I don't have a full list yet but 1) it is still a 2-tier chart (3 for domestic), and 2) US to Southwest Pacific is 35k each way for Y/B/M or 80k for S/H/Q/K.
FWIW a phone agent recently (maybe 2 weeks ago, I forget exactly) quoted me domestic non-D1 pricing consistent with the wiki at all 3 levels:

Y/B/M: 15,000 miles
S/H/Q/K: 20,000 miles
L/U/T: 30,000 miles

although it took them forever to find the info; I don't know if the info is difficult to locate in whatever internal system or it was in a place they weren't expecting/mental block or what.
Old Jun 14, 2016, 10:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Zorak
FWIW a phone agent recently (maybe 2 weeks ago, I forget exactly) quoted me domestic non-D1 pricing consistent with the wiki at all 3 levels:

Y/B/M: 15,000 miles
S/H/Q/K: 20,000 miles
L/U/T: 30,000 miles

although it took them forever to find the info; I don't know if the info is difficult to locate in whatever internal system or it was in a place they weren't expecting/mental block or what.
I don't think domestic has changed - it is high, but not really outlandish compared to what they did with int'l BusinessElite.
Old Jun 24, 2016, 1:35 pm

US to Europe
This is 5k more than you would pay doing a DoD upgrade at AMS, but without the risk and hassle.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 9:30 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I have confirmed the mileage upgrade prices have, in fact, dropped. I don't have a full list yet but it is still a 2-tier chart (3 for domestic and shorter int'l).

US to Europe

US to Northern South America
Y/B/M: 25k
S/H/Q/K: 30k
L/U/T: 45k

US to Southern South America

US to Southwest Pacific
Y/B/M: 35k
S/H/Q/K: 80k
I am looking at an April 2017 trip to Chile (SCL). D1 fares on preferred day of travel are north of $8K and drop to $5.6K if I go with alternate days.

B fares are the same as Z while M is $2.8K and K is $2K. I have not called to check for OP inventory but unfortunately I need to not go with an award ticket as the MQMs are in short supply for 2017. I wish EF would let me sort out options before having to call DL.

It seems pretty stiff to put out even $2K + 120K SM for a 9 hour ride to SLC on a 763. Am I missing an option?
Old Jul 8, 2016, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Xeno
I am looking at an April 2017 trip to Chile (SCL). D1 fares on preferred day of travel are north of $8K and drop to $5.6K if I go with alternate days.

B fares are the same as Z while M is $2.8K and K is $2K. I have not called to check for OP inventory but unfortunately I need to not go with an award ticket as the MQMs are in short supply for 2017. I wish EF would let me sort out options before having to call DL.
YHPM

It seems pretty stiff to put out even $2K + 120K SM for a 9 hour ride to SLC on a 763. Am I missing an option?
GUC? But otherwise this seems to be the new reality.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 10:13 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM

Buy a coach ticket and use a GUC?

A few months ago, I paid about $950 for a rt LAX-ATL-SCL over Labor Day. GUC's cleared at booking on the long leg for the two of us in both directions.

At the prices you are seeing, I'd buy coach. It isn't that bad on a Delta 767 if one pick a seat on one of the "two across" benches. Applying, even wait-listing a GUC, is even better.

I think Delta's new slightly lower upgrade mileage costs are STILL absurdly high. It is a better value to use Skymiles on outright long-haul awards in biz-class.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.