Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 14, 2015, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Summary of SkyMiles Upgrade Changes

Effective Aug 1, 2015, DM's on paid fares and no companions will no longer receive complimentary upgrades JFK-LAX/SFO. Delta's reps failed to disclose this in their June 14 announcement.

For travel on or after June 1, 2016, additional fare classes are eligible for SkyMiles upgrades:
Within North American and northern South America, L/U/T fares are now eligible. (Previously only Y/B/M/H/Q/K)
For all other markets, H/Q/K fares are now eligible. (Previously only Y/B/M)

SkyMiles Upgrade Awards will also require more miles. Prices for the following markets as quoted by multiple reservations agents: (Pricing is one-way)

(current chart based on observations has been moved to this thread: Upgrading with miles)
Print Wikipost

SkyMiles July Announcements

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:28 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by HDQDD
I hope DL (and the other US3) sends a bottle of the finest Champagne to the DOJ. With ~60% less competition, they now have the power to do whatever they want. I cringe every time I see a post from DL about SM changes. You just know it isn't good news. Congratulations DL, I'm now seriously reconsidering my loyalty again.

I laugh at the DOJ "investigating" collusion. They should investigate themselves for *allowing* the elimination of 4 major airlines in the U.S.
Just follow Holder and some of his closest associates from the DOJ. The revolving door isn't entirely opaque. And DL's SkyMiles shenanigans aren't all that surprising either.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:33 am

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by javabytes
Weren't domestic upgrades from K fares 12,500 miles each way? But otherwise yes, those would be the quoted rates.

Whether they've been put into effect already, I can't say. I didn't ask to upgrade an actual ticket, I just asked for what the chart said.
Interesting. With the charts gone from delta.dum, I fully expected the new upgrade rates (the devaluation) to begin immediately, while the increased fare code eligibility (the enhancement) to not begin until 2016.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:34 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Delta Points
I can confirm some of the numbers are correct (I did not get all the numbers). I can not tell you my source (it is not the medallion line btw).
Same here. These numbers, by the way, were at least in part circulating earlier with some DL management types.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by bubbashow
\EXACTLY! That is why the Wiki is nothing more than creative writing at this point. I got the same result as Xeno from the Diamond Line.

If it is true, so be it. Y'all wanted international upgrades from cheap fares...you got 'em. "...but Bubba, it's cheaper to just pay for the discounted Business fare"......BINGO...good business for DL/
Yeah, great business to persuade people to buy discounted J on AA/UA rather than Y (for almost as much) on DL and upgrade with miles that removes a liability from DL's books.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Here's a thought: in their next quarterly filing with the SEC, how much will Delta claim/admit the liability due to SkyMiles in customer hands (that is, their estimate of the value of those SkyMiles) decreased? A bigger number means higher "earnings" and they probably don't expect their customers to notice as much as Wall St. will.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:59 am

Setting aside the upgrade issue, the endgame here became obvious when the award chart slinked away in the middle of the night. DL is heading to the same destination as WN, but doing it in a somewhat difference sequence and style. WN chose to blow up the dam, while DL practices Chinese water torture.
Varying the mile price by time of day, day of week, destination, season, etc. is exactly what WN instituted earlier this year. For many pax, this marked the third devaluation of Vapid Rewards in four years. Originally, it took any 8 paid RTs/16 paid OWs, no matter how short or discounted, to get 1 free RT/2 OWs anywhere in the system. In one swoop, WN went to revenue-based earnings and redemptions. A year or so later, the redemption price was raised from 60 points per $1 of fare to 70 points. Earlier this year, the fixed rate was dropped with some redemptions going to 80 points per $1. In other words, a one-third devaluation from the original.
With DL, at first blush, there would seem to be no need to vary redemptions by demand; I thought that was the point of five different award tiers. The only plausible explanation is that this is a bridge to pure revenue-based system, probably in 2017 given Virginia Avenue's propensity to unwrap a new bundle of enhancements every year. So anyone who does anything at this point to accumulate SkyMiles will get what they deserve.
As an aside, when will someone start the thread to post snagging or even sighting 7.5K awards? Does this mean we can expect other discounted awards, such as 18K for TATL?
Old Jul 16, 2015, 11:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by gogreyhound
Setting aside the upgrade issue, the endgame here became obvious when the award chart slinked away in the middle of the night. DL is heading to the same destination as WN, but doing it in a somewhat difference sequence and style. WN chose to blow up the dam, while DL practices Chinese water torture.
Varying the mile price by time of day, day of week, destination, season, etc. is exactly what WN instituted earlier this year. For many pax, this marked the third devaluation of Vapid Rewards in four years. Originally, it took any 8 paid RTs/16 paid OWs, no matter how short or discounted, to get 1 free RT/2 OWs anywhere in the system. In one swoop, WN went to revenue-based earnings and redemptions. A year or so later, the redemption price was raised from 60 points per $1 of fare to 70 points. Earlier this year, the fixed rate was dropped with some redemptions going to 80 points per $1. In other words, a one-third devaluation from the original.
With DL, at first blush, there would seem to be no need to vary redemptions by demand; I thought that was the point of five different award tiers. The only plausible explanation is that this is a bridge to pure revenue-based system, probably in 2017 given Virginia Avenue's propensity to unwrap a new bundle of enhancements every year. So anyone who does anything at this point to accumulate SkyMiles will get what they deserve.
As an aside, when will someone start the thread to post snagging or even sighting 7.5K awards? Does this mean we can expect other discounted awards, such as 18K for TATL?
Overall you're right, but to give credit where credit is due, the lower mileage awards (7.5k, 10k, etc.) have been sighted, and in fair abundance.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 11:15 am

fares...you got 'em. "...but Bubba, it's cheaper to just pay for the discounted Business fare"......BINGO...good business for DL/
I have long been supportive of the airlines' efforts to be profitable, including adding fees, FCM, closing of loopholes, spend-based miles earning, etc.

Where I draw the line is with the swift and significant devaluation of existing miles.

You have a lot of very loyal customers who have banked huge sums of miles for various purposes. Essentially, as a condition of their loyalty, they expected to be able to purchase award tickets with the miles they banked.

People can be upset or complain about the current value proposition of loyalty all they like; but that's crying over spilt milk. It's all laid out for us now: You gotta really spend to earn miles. You aren't going to be able to use those miles for long-haul J travel unless you got a bunch of them. Your status isn't going to get you up front 90% of the time. etc. etc. While it may stink, it's all a matter of supply and demand.

The devaluation of already-earned miles is changing the rules of the game halfway through. People stayed loyal with an expected return that is no longer there. Someone who banked half a million miles with the expectation of taking the family to Asia for a once-in-a-lifetime family trip, now can't do that.

It was reasonable to assume that r/t J to Europe would go up from 100k eventually; and perhaps 120 was a fair number. But what we are seeing now is that it's going to cost 160, 200, 250, even when booked in advance. What has happened is the customers who are going to be hit the hardest are the ones who have the most miles. Who are those customers? The most loyal. That's what makes the increased redemptions problematic for me.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 11:19 am

Programs: DM/3MM
If true, I don't understand why they would remove complimentary upgrades for DMs on the transcons. They would technically still be behind DMs and PMs who were using GUCs and RUCs. DMs might not be using certs on these routes because a) they had run out or b) decided to chance it.

If there are empty seats after certs are filled (and in my experience that's unlikely as DL has been good at filling the cabin), why not upgrade DMs as they have been doing? Plus it helps differentiate DM from PM...and makes it more competitive with, say EXP on AA (which I believe is one of the reasons they brought back complimentary upgrades for DMs, after taking it away).
Old Jul 16, 2015, 11:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by TrojanTraveler
If true, I don't understand why they would remove complimentary upgrades for DMs on the transcons. They would technically still be behind DMs and PMs who were using GUCs and RUCs. DMs might not be using certs on these routes because a) they had run out or b) decided to chance it.
Its pretty clear... because there is (and hasn't been for a while) no such thing as 'loyalty'. As far as DL is concerned, you could be a first time flyer or with them for years. Either way you've got to pay to play.

Its really getting to the point that the best 'benefit' from the skymiles program is better customer service handling. Maybe you can pay for that soon too... 'Why Wait? With optional SkyPriority Service plan, for only an additional 5,000 miles per call to Delta, you can be routed to the top of the queue at the elite service desk'.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 12:07 pm

Programs: Newly minted free agent; MR LT(!)TE, HH SE, BA SECM, DL MM, UA PS, 2V Fanboi, CBP GE
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I wonder if this will force the introduction of a true premium economy class on long haul Delta service?

The reason I think this might happen is that, if the devaluation is as bad as these early reports indicate, D1 class will become basically inaccessible to a whole class of people who had previously been flying in D1 using miles or mileage upgrades.
If DL eventually introduces W, it won't be because they're removing upgrades to J.

Most people buy cheapest available. They don't care about these changes. Some people buy J outright (corporate policy or whatever). They don't care about these changes. That leaves a tiny, tiny percentage of people who jump through hoops to chase OU inventory or play games with gate waitlists. I suspect this number is typically between 1 and 4 per longhaul flight.

Meanwhile, W has been around for a while. You can even buy DL marketed W seats on 3 different carriers. If DL wanted to introduce a proper W service, it would be because they think people will buy it at a profitable price. (They must already have data on this based on their own sales.) That some people can't upgrade into J is not a reason to invest millions in a whole new product.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 12:11 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by houserulz77
I have long been supportive of the airlines' efforts to be profitable, including adding fees, FCM, closing of loopholes, spend-based miles earning, etc.

Where I draw the line is with the swift and significant devaluation of existing miles.

You have a lot of very loyal customers who have banked huge sums of miles for various purposes. Essentially, as a condition of their loyalty, they expected to be able to purchase award tickets with the miles they banked.

People can be upset or complain about the current value proposition of loyalty all they like; but that's crying over spilt milk. It's all laid out for us now: You gotta really spend to earn miles. You aren't going to be able to use those miles for long-haul J travel unless you got a bunch of them. Your status isn't going to get you up front 90% of the time. etc. etc. While it may stink, it's all a matter of supply and demand.

The devaluation of already-earned miles is changing the rules of the game halfway through. People stayed loyal with an expected return that is no longer there. Someone who banked half a million miles with the expectation of taking the family to Asia for a once-in-a-lifetime family trip, now can't do that.

It was reasonable to assume that r/t J to Europe would go up from 100k eventually; and perhaps 120 was a fair number. But what we are seeing now is that it's going to cost 160, 200, 250, even when booked in advance. What has happened is the customers who are going to be hit the hardest are the ones who have the most miles. Who are those customers? The most loyal. That's what makes the increased redemptions problematic for me.
How many hints are required before people realize that holding on to a currency in a constant state of devaluation is not a great idea? The faster you use the miles, the better the chance that you will know what the value is. Saving miles up for retirement as one might have more reasonably done in the 1980s into the 90s just makes absolutely no sense now. You get no interest, dividends, or any guarantee of the underlying value--which means that this is something you use up on a regular basis--not accumulate for long periods time.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 12:22 pm
Suspended

I wonder if Delta defrauded AMEX by devaluing skymiles.
Suppose I make waffle irons which I sell to AMEX for $10 each, who in turn gives the waffle irons away to customers signup up for AMEX DieuwerAwards cards.
Now, I devalue my waffle irons by making them so cheap they basically fall apart after a one-time use. No way they are worth $10 but AMEX still has to buy them for $10 upfront because the contract says so. However, AMEX customers won't be thrilled and start cancelling the AMEX DieuwerAwards card and don't sign up for any other.
AMEX is screwed because they are now stuck with thousands of waffle irons they cannot get rid of!
Old Jul 16, 2015, 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
I wonder if Delta defrauded AMEX by devaluing skymiles.
Suppose I make waffle irons which I sell to AMEX for $10 each, who in turn gives the waffle irons away to customers signup up for AMEX DieuwerAwards cards.
Now, I devalue my waffle irons by making them so cheap they basically fall apart after a one-time use. No way they are worth $10 but AMEX still has to buy them for $10 upfront because the contract says so. However, AMEX customers won't be thrilled and start cancelling the AMEX DieuwerAwards card and don't sign up for any other.
AMEX is screwed because they are now stuck with thousands of waffle irons they cannot get rid of!
Not just AMEX. What about all these SkyTeam partners who are essentially providing the world's largest airline with a dumping ground for customers miles.

I don't fly near as much as many on here, but in the last 6 years DL has gotten every dollar I spent on air travel, while AF and KE have been the ones to fly me across oceans in J for free. At some point the jig is gonna be up.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 2:16 pm
k2

...but Bubba, it's cheaper to just pay for the discounted Business fare"......BINGO...good business for DL/
I doubt cheaper, but they're converging - DL is closing the gap between cash and mileage pricing for int'l J which has been way out of whack for a long long time.

At the new rates a cheapo TATL coach ticket + 160k mile upgrade is maybe ~$3k of value. You might find Z fares that low in some markets but they're rare; and nonexistent in hubs and uncompetitive markets.

As much as people hate to admit it, even the new rates represent a decent value (on a cpm basis).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.