Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 14, 2015, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Summary of SkyMiles Upgrade Changes

Effective Aug 1, 2015, DM's on paid fares and no companions will no longer receive complimentary upgrades JFK-LAX/SFO. Delta's reps failed to disclose this in their June 14 announcement.

For travel on or after June 1, 2016, additional fare classes are eligible for SkyMiles upgrades:
Within North American and northern South America, L/U/T fares are now eligible. (Previously only Y/B/M/H/Q/K)
For all other markets, H/Q/K fares are now eligible. (Previously only Y/B/M)

SkyMiles Upgrade Awards will also require more miles. Prices for the following markets as quoted by multiple reservations agents: (Pricing is one-way)

(current chart based on observations has been moved to this thread: Upgrading with miles)
Print Wikipost

SkyMiles July Announcements

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2015, 3:03 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM
I, too, am curious about this: Will DMs still be entitled to the "secret" TCON UGs once all DMs and PMs using certain have cleared?

Anyone know someone at DL (or perhaps the OP) who can respond to this?
Old Jul 15, 2015, 3:08 pm

Programs: Skymiles member
I wouldn't mind these mileage upgrade prices, but let's talk about availability? Will these upgrade options come out of the same bucket as OP upgrades, or what?
Old Jul 15, 2015, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by UVAhoo06
I, too, am curious about this: Will DMs still be entitled to the "secret" TCON UGs once all DMs and PMs using certain have cleared?

Anyone know someone at DL (or perhaps the OP) who can respond to this?
Several people have called reservations and have been informed that no, DMs will no longer get the secret complimentary upgrades.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 4:28 pm

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Marriott Gold
I'm pretty Delta ignorant, but does this mean the cheapest award one way in business to Europe will be 80,000 instead of 62,500? Or are those upgrade costs in the wiki only?
Old Jul 15, 2015, 4:33 pm

Programs: DL DM360, Aeroplan SE
Originally Posted by javabytes
Several people have called reservations and have been informed that no, DMs will no longer get the secret complimentary upgrades.
That would be a massive for Diamonds. Typically flying J domestic on last minute tix for work (accrued 180k MQM / $60k+ MQD YTD) the new mileage program has been better for me and even with these new devaluations still likely net up over last year... but if if the net of this RUC change is limiting Diamonds to only upgrading 4 TCONs/year assuming we now take the RUCs as a platinum benefit with no ability to get more of those certs from thresholds like on UA or AA (free for EPs anyway) then this will be the end of DL for me as the only use for my status is the handful of upgrades I can catch on short personal weekend trips to the west coast. Really don't get why they would go after DMs in this way, mid-way thru the year with no ability to get more RUCs.

Anyway time will tell after next Monday... please share your success or lack thereof as fellow DMs' ability to still get instrument-less upgrades / added to the upgrade list on JFK-LAX/SFO once the change is in place!!
Old Jul 15, 2015, 4:35 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM
When do the complimentary TCON UGs for DMs? Effectively immediately or on 8/1, per blogger on Points, Miles, and Martinis?

Last edited by UVAhoo06; Jul 15, 2015 at 6:20 pm
Old Jul 15, 2015, 5:24 pm

Programs: Delta DM, AA EXP, Hyatt Diamond, HHoners Gold, SPG Gold, National ExecElite, Hertz PC, Avis First
Originally Posted by daveland
I actually find this pricing to be offensive!

They are now pricing just an upgrade WELL above what a RT in J used to be under saver pricing - back when you could find "saver" to Europe. So now I'd have to pay ~$1,500 + 160,000 miles to upgrade?! Basically, that means you can pay cash or you can use miles but one way or the other it's going to cost over $3k worth of an instrument (cash or miles) to fly J to Europe. It truly is revenue based award pricing in every sense now... The game of FF miles, at least on Delta, seems to be largely over. The only exception would seem to be straight partner award availability.

US-Europe:
Y/B/M: 60,000 miles
S/H/Q/K: 80,000 miles
I agree... It is deplorable. It is representative of a deep trust deficient that exists between Delta and its customers.

The airline industry is cyclical and these changes reek of arrogance and hubris. Delta One is not worth any more than other airlines' J class with direct isle access, which is quickly becoming the norm... Hey, even AA's J has in most cases surpassed DL in the hard product, and yet they give 8 SWUs to their top tier elites which can be used from any fare, and they set mileage upgrade from full fare coach at 15,000 miles with no co-pay on international trips!

DL is delusional.

Last edited by theYipster; Jul 15, 2015 at 5:57 pm
Old Jul 15, 2015, 6:12 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Anyone think the partner concerns are related to a virtual disappearance of Virgin Australia J inventory via dl.com?

FWIW a few weeks ago I was able to see loads of LAX-SYD availability for the low amount (80k I believe).

Just a cursory search on VirginAustralia.com shows award availability on Aug 1 for VA2, yet Delta.com isn't showing that!
Old Jul 15, 2015, 6:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by thoiboi
GET OUTTA HERE WITH THAT LOGIC AND HALF GLASS FULL MENTALITY..

This FlyerTalk... We are here to complain and complain not look at things with understanding....
^

Of all the DMs I know, none selected GUCs with the intent of burning them on a 4-5 hour domestic route.
exactly - I got mine for my TATLs.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 9:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
It's always amusing to read these hit and run DL Company announcement threads.

First it's the "Oh, wow, benevolent master thank you for posting here and telling us of your glorious plans".

Next it's the, "Oh, look at all the new benefits they're giving us".

Then, when you do a real study of the changes, you find out that:

A. You're screwed.

B. You're super screwed.

C. You are so screwed, they won't even tell you how many miles it's going to cost you.

If there are any real benefits, like using upgrades, on probably hard to upgrade transcons, it's because they took away Diamond upgrade on this route.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 9:41 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Oh well, there goes my record -- I am 100% on upgrades between LAX and JFK going back to before DM (when they were cradle seats). Of course that is only 12-15 legs or so as I really try not to connect at JFK.

I'm routed thru JFK on my August trip, burned my last GUC on the outbound: LAX-JFK cleared (surprisingly) about 3 weeks ago, JFK-FRA cleared at booking. So my return will probably be my first time in EC/C+ on the TCON -- unless I decide to burn that hanging PM CB for some RUCs. I had decided to go for the $200 Delta card as one 1 of my last batch of RUCs expired unused and two other were "wasted" on LAX-SEA and back (were going to expire) I tried to use them between LAX and ATL and many times didn't clear.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
More data:

Domestic Premium Routes (JFK-LAX/SFO)
Y/B/M: 25,000
S/H/Q/K: 35,000
L/U/T: 45,000

US-Hawaii
Y/B/M: 30,000
S/H/Q/K: 45,000
L/U/T: 55,000

US-Canada
Y/B/M: 15,000
S/H/Q/K: 20,000
L/U/T: 30,000

US-Puerto Rico, Mexico, Bermuda, Caribbean

US-Northern South America

US-Southern South America
Y/B/M: 60,000
S/H/Q/K: 80,000

US-Africa (North, Central, and South)
Y/B/M: 80,000
S/H/Q/K: 115,000

US-Middle East

Again, pricing is each way. Updated wiki.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 9:55 pm

Programs: DL GM
More data:

Domestic Premium Routes (JFK-LAX/SFO)
Y/B/M: 25,000
S/H/Q/K: 35,000
L/U/T: 45,000

US-Hawaii

US-Canada

US-Puerto Rico, Mexico, Bermuda, Caribbean

US-Northern South America

US-Southern South America
Y/B/M: 60,000
S/H/Q/K: 80,000

US-Africa (North, Central, and South)

US-Middle East

Again, pricing is each way. Updated wiki.
What a joke. Way to go, Delta.
Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:18 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
I wonder if this will force the introduction of a true premium economy class on long haul Delta service?

The reason I think this might happen is that, if the devaluation is as bad as these early reports indicate, D1 class will become basically inaccessible to a whole class of people who had previously been flying in D1 using miles or mileage upgrades.

Many of us (myself included) simply won't sit in coach for a 10 or 12 hour flight. It would be under this circumstance that I would start to shop away from Delta. While I really can't afford to spend $4K-6K on a D1 seat, I very well might decide to bite the bullet and pay $2K for a premium economy seat on one of the many foreign carries who seem to able to offer this service (and no, the 4 extra inches in comfort plus don't cut it).
Old Jul 15, 2015, 10:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
US-Hawaii
I wonder if ATL/MSP/JFK-HNL are in the same category as West Coast-HNL for this one. 55,000 miles for a mileage upgrade to a domestic FC 757 (or 767 on SLC-HNL)? No thanks. Heck, I've seen First Class fares for $600 or so for one-way on West Coast-HNL. You'd be getting a better value paying for the whole FC ticket with PWM than you would paying the $300-$400 one-way economy LUT ticket to HNL and then using an additional 55,000 miles to upgrade.

Last edited by ATOBTTR; Jul 15, 2015 at 11:48 pm Reason: Grammar/Typo

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.