Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 14, 2015, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Summary of SkyMiles Upgrade Changes

Effective Aug 1, 2015, DM's on paid fares and no companions will no longer receive complimentary upgrades JFK-LAX/SFO. Delta's reps failed to disclose this in their June 14 announcement.

For travel on or after June 1, 2016, additional fare classes are eligible for SkyMiles upgrades:
Within North American and northern South America, L/U/T fares are now eligible. (Previously only Y/B/M/H/Q/K)
For all other markets, H/Q/K fares are now eligible. (Previously only Y/B/M)

SkyMiles Upgrade Awards will also require more miles. Prices for the following markets as quoted by multiple reservations agents: (Pricing is one-way)

(current chart based on observations has been moved to this thread: Upgrading with miles)
Print Wikipost

SkyMiles July Announcements

Search this Thread

Old Jul 15, 2015, 11:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
It's always amusing to read these hit and run DL Company announcement threads.

First it's the "Oh, wow, benevolent master thank you for posting here and telling us of your glorious plans".

Next it's the, "Oh, look at all the new benefits they're giving us".

Then, when you do a real study of the changes, you find out that:

A. You're screwed.

B. You're super screwed.

C. You are so screwed, they won't even tell you how many miles it's going to cost you.

If there are any real benefits, like using upgrades, on probably hard to upgrade transcons, it's because they took away Diamond upgrade on this route.
This is so true. I love the first part about "thank you for telling us of your glorious plans". Why do people feel the need to thank a corporate spokesperson? They are just on here doing marketing. It's like thanking Coca Cola for showing you a commercial during the Super Bowl.

It's not just the Delta forum BTW, it's all the various "insiders" or "Lurkers" in these forums who pollute the place with their corporate marketing speak while offering us no more info than we can get from an online press release.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 12:50 am

Programs: delta dm
Yep some pretty bad enhancements by my girl delta....the upgrade policy is down right insulting....yet thats why i have that little slut AA on speed dial for just such a devaluation....they offered me explat status match for no fee which i think i may have to take them up on
Old Jul 16, 2015, 1:26 am

Programs: DL GM
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
I wonder if this will force the introduction of a true premium economy class on long haul Delta service?
Why not?
Hey Delta, here's the deal: make C+ a separate cabin, name it Economy Elite (or Economy One, you choose) and add some true exclusive experience, like F snack basket or something. Well, you know better. Next, enhance business class elite experience by starting charging all those boatloads of miles to upgrade from Y not to J but to Economy Elite!! @:-) And in order to upgrade from Y to J, you just... well, I think I gave you enough, figure the remaining part by yourself, you seem to have best enhancement experts in the world.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 6:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Anyone notice that the upgrade pricing from the more discounted tickets is about what it would cost to outright buy a 'low' level award ticket? Give you one guess where the pricing and availability for those award tickets is going too.

If it costs 120k just for an upgrade, you're not going to see an award ticket for that price.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 6:54 am

Programs: DL Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat, Hertz Prez Circle, National Exec
Originally Posted by rylan
Anyone notice that the upgrade pricing from the more discounted tickets is about what it would cost to outright buy a 'low' level award ticket? Give you one guess where the pricing and availability for those award tickets is going too.

If it costs 120k just for an upgrade, you're not going to see an award ticket for that price.
Yep. This does not bode well at all for what their "dynamic" pricing is going to be for award tickets. This is looking like a huge devaluation.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 7:15 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
It's always amusing to read these hit and run DL Company announcement threads.

First it's the "Oh, wow, benevolent master thank you for posting here and telling us of your glorious plans".

Next it's the, "Oh, look at all the new benefits they're giving us".

Then, when you do a real study of the changes, you find out that:

A. You're screwed.

B. You're super screwed.

C. You are so screwed, they won't even tell you how many miles it's going to cost you.

If there are any real benefits, like using upgrades, on probably hard to upgrade transcons, it's because they took away Diamond upgrade on this route.
Indeed.

What is the point of spending lots of time collecting 160,000 DL SkyMiles for a roundtrip business class vacation trip that is going to cost $1500 (USD) plus 160,000 miles when a regular paid discounted business class ticket for the same visit purpose is in the $1200-$2000 range but is free of the long-term gambling aspect involved in collecting Delta SkyMiles and hoping for availability and pricing to be reasonable? No surprise that the SkyMiles game of collecting miles for a year or more for an award ticket is not for me.

"Scam me once, shame on you. Scam me twice, shame on me" for not having wised up earlier to the scam run by the DL management schemers fleecing SkyMiles customers.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 8:03 am

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
I hope DL (and the other US3) sends a bottle of the finest Champagne to the DOJ. With ~60% less competition, they now have the power to do whatever they want. I cringe every time I see a post from DL about SM changes. You just know it isn't good news. Congratulations DL, I'm now seriously reconsidering my loyalty again.

I laugh at the DOJ "investigating" collusion. They should investigate themselves for *allowing* the elimination of 4 major airlines in the U.S.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 8:38 am

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
I just spoke to a DM agent about a related SM issue and asked if she had seen charts for the number of SMs required to upgrade fares starting June 1, 2016. She said nothing like that was available to her.

I want to know sooner than later because if the Wiki numbers are correct then I may need to burn a lot of miles and sort out carriers going forward unless for some odd reason they don't tamper with PWMs.

I did so much better with SWUs - was it 10-12 a year I could get as PM then DM? - due to only 4 GUCs and now yesterday's announcement is making it much harder for me to fly DL because over 90% of my flying is international.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 8:52 am

Programs: DL DM
Everyone is freaking out over the Wiki when it is just conjecture. DM agents say that no such list exists.

I think it is MISLEADING to even have the wiki. Following the FT mantra with DL Res....HUACA.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 8:56 am

Programs: Skyteam
Good for businesses with AMEX.
Old Jul 16, 2015, 9:07 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by Xeno
I just spoke to a DM agent about a related SM issue and asked if she had seen charts for the number of SMs required to upgrade fares starting June 1, 2016. She said nothing like that was available to her.
\EXACTLY! That is why the Wiki is nothing more than creative writing at this point. I got the same result as Xeno from the Diamond Line.

If it is true, so be it. Y'all wanted international upgrades from cheap fares...you got 'em. "...but Bubba, it's cheaper to just pay for the discounted Business fare"......BINGO...good business for DL/
Old Jul 16, 2015, 9:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Xeno

I want to know sooner than later because if the Wiki numbers are correct then I may need to burn a lot of miles and sort out carriers going forward unless for some odd reason they don't tamper with PWMs.

I did so much better with SWUs - was it 10-12 a year I could get as PM then DM? - due to only 4 GUCs and now yesterday's announcement is making it much harder for me to fly DL because over 90% of my flying is international.
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Everyone is freaking out over the Wiki when it is just conjecture. DM agents say that no such list exists.

I think it is MISLEADING to even have the wiki. Following the FT mantra with DL Res....HUACA.
Originally Posted by bubbashow
\EXACTLY! That is why the Wiki is nothing more than creative writing at this point. I got the same result as Xeno from the Diamond Line.

If it is true, so be it. Y'all wanted international upgrades from cheap fares...you got 'em. "...but Bubba, it's cheaper to just pay for the discounted Business fare"......BINGO...good business for DL/
Most agents either don't know where to look or can't be bothered. It's the age-old problem we have with reservations agents not being up to date on the rules. Only the best know where to look to find the new information and are actually willing to bother. Two out of probably 6 or 7 agents have been willing and able to find it. So yes, HUCA.

Tell them this is brand new within the last few days. Most importantly, tell them that the email you got from Delta says that the pricing is already in effect for travel starting next June. (I've had many agents try and say that changes to next year's program will be announced next year. You need to get them over this hump. One agent who initially gave me this line, that "we have no information yet, it will be communicated next year" is one of the agents who ultimately found the new pricing.) Tell them to look wherever it is they look for notices on updates to the program. It's there. I don't sit at home making these things up for funsies. I wish I was making it up...

Last edited by javabytes; Jul 16, 2015 at 10:08 am
Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Blogger & Delta Diamond Medallion Million Miler
Originally Posted by javabytes
I don't sit at home making these things up for funsies.
I can confirm some of the numbers are correct (I did not get all the numbers). I can not tell you my source (it is not the medallion line btw).
Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:10 am

Programs: United - PG, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by javabytes
Most importantly, tell them that the email you got from Delta says that the pricing is already in effect for travel starting next June.
So just to clarify:

If I call today to upgrade an already purchased flight (assuming availability):

Departure Date Fare Class Miles Required
March 1, 2016 from a T fare = Not possible
March 1, 2016 from a K fare = 12,500 miles
July 1, 2016 from a T fare = 30,000 miles
July 1, 2016 from a K fare = 20,000 miles

Last edited by houserulz77; Jul 16, 2015 at 10:34 am Reason: Correction to numbers (from: javabytes post 195)
Old Jul 16, 2015, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by houserulz77
So just to clarify:

If I call today to upgrade an already purchased flight (assuming availability):

Departure Date Fare Class Miles Required
March 1, 2016 from a T fare = Not possible
March 1, 2016 from a K fare = 15,000 miles
July 1, 2016 from a T fare = 30,000 miles
July 1, 2016 from a K fare = 20,000 miles
Weren't domestic upgrades from K fares 12,500 miles each way? But otherwise yes, those would be the quoted rates.

Whether they've been put into effect already, I can't say. I didn't ask to upgrade an actual ticket, I just asked for what the chart said.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.