Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 14, 2015, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Summary of SkyMiles Upgrade Changes

Effective Aug 1, 2015, DM's on paid fares and no companions will no longer receive complimentary upgrades JFK-LAX/SFO. Delta's reps failed to disclose this in their June 14 announcement.

For travel on or after June 1, 2016, additional fare classes are eligible for SkyMiles upgrades:
Within North American and northern South America, L/U/T fares are now eligible. (Previously only Y/B/M/H/Q/K)
For all other markets, H/Q/K fares are now eligible. (Previously only Y/B/M)

SkyMiles Upgrade Awards will also require more miles. Prices for the following markets as quoted by multiple reservations agents: (Pricing is one-way)

(current chart based on observations has been moved to this thread: Upgrading with miles)
Print Wikipost

SkyMiles July Announcements

Search this Thread

Old Jul 23, 2015, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Mrs. ATOBTTR and I had been debating whether or not we wanted to another trip to Europe next year since recently returning from one back in May or if we wanted to wait a little while longer before heading back. But with the announced changes, and not wanting to see my Skymiles devalued to a PWM rate (and thus not being able to snag J to Europe again, unless I wanted to shell out 500,000 per person that I don't have), we decided that we're going to go next year. I found two J awards at Low (125,000 miles per person) for next May/June on miles partners (it could be that partner redemption levels don't change, but didn't want to chance that either). As of now, we have a KL 747 on the outbound and the AF A380 on the return. Can't wait.
Old Jul 25, 2015, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Except now Delta is running a redemption "sale" (10k round trip some routes, 20k round trip some other routes), "The Great 48 Escape":
so that'll confuse people who aren't paying attention even more, and they'll say "see, Delta has some good redemptions". Many of those, of course, are just short routes. It's sort of like AA's reduced mileage awards from Citi, except in Delta's case it doesn't require having a particular credit card. But the people who don't know much may have been planning to use 25k miles RT on a short route (that's inexpensive in dollars) anyway!
Old Jul 25, 2015, 11:15 pm

I apologize if this has been posted before. While I have read most of this thread, I can't say I have read all the pages.

In terms of new Skymiles pricing, everybody is freaking out (rightly so) about the huge increase in miles needed for flights after 6/1/16.

However, if Delta is 100% doing dynamic pricing, would it be possible that they are now pricing these at the highest price possible, thinking it will get the most value out of people who want to book early (because it was how everyone who wanted great deals on free tickets before), and that if loads are not good, these could come down significantly ?

In other words, could the jump we are saying not be absolute but a way to change how/when people book trips using miles?

Just so I am super clear (because I am not sure I am): if right now LAX-SYD one way is let's say 350k on 6/1 in D1, who is to say it can't come down to 175k or even (let's be crazy for the purpose of the argument) 50k closer to the flight date because Delta is having trouble filling the D1 cabin?

thanks for your insights.
A
Old Jul 26, 2015, 5:44 am

Programs: A3 *G, AA exePlat, AS MVP 75k Gold, JL sapphire, UA silver
Originally Posted by aurelien75017
I apologize if this has been posted before. While I have read most of this thread, I can't say I have read all the pages.

In terms of new Skymiles pricing, everybody is freaking out (rightly so) about the huge increase in miles needed for flights after 6/1/16.

However, if Delta is 100% doing dynamic pricing, would it be possible that they are now pricing these at the highest price possible, thinking it will get the most value out of people who want to book early (because it was how everyone who wanted great deals on free tickets before), and that if loads are not good, these could come down significantly ?

In other words, could the jump we are saying not be absolute but a way to change how/when people book trips using miles?

Just so I am super clear (because I am not sure I am): if right now LAX-SYD one way is let's say 350k on 6/1 in D1, who is to say it can't come down to 175k or even (let's be crazy for the purpose of the argument) 50k closer to the flight date because Delta is having trouble filling the D1 cabin?

thanks for your insights.
A
do u see delta lowing the cash price of business class ticket if thet were not filling up? delta has been talking about pricing integrity... and i dont expect it to come down significantly. even at 175k, it is the high level currently.
Old Jul 26, 2015, 8:09 am

I have actually. I would argue there are plenty of routes when the cash price a year out is expensive, and closer to the date, you see inventory in lower fare classes being opened if the flight isn't filling up as fast as anticipated by revenue management

I have no idea whether the price would ever go down to be lower than current but I thought I would bring this up as I could see this scenario happening at least on some routes

A
Old Jul 26, 2015, 9:32 am

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
I have actually. I would argue there are plenty of routes when the cash price a year out is expensive, and closer to the date, you see inventory in lower fare classes being opened if the flight isn't filling up as fast as anticipated by revenue management

I have no idea whether the price would ever go down to be lower than current but I thought I would bring this up as I could see this scenario happening at least on some routes

A
There is no indication at this point that just because the cash price is lowered that the number of points required for a redemption is lowered as well. Just look at a simple one way from SFO to LAX in F class tomorrow. The 8AM flight is $424.10 cash/55,000 points. The 9AM is 265.10 cash and also 55,000 points. The latter values each point at less than a half a cent which would be a horrible redemption value. Seems the dynamic part on this route only applies to the upward direction and not when the price goes down.

Last edited by sfozrhfco; Jul 26, 2015 at 9:42 am
Old Jul 27, 2015, 5:11 pm

Originally Posted by sfozrhfco
There is no indication at this point that just because the cash price is lowered that the number of points required for a redemption is lowered as well. Just look at a simple one way from SFO to LAX in F class tomorrow. The 8AM flight is $424.10 cash/55,000 points. The 9AM is 265.10 cash and also 55,000 points. The latter values each point at less than a half a cent which would be a horrible redemption value. Seems the dynamic part on this route only applies to the upward direction and not when the price goes down.
you're absolutely right that there is no indication at this point. But I am hoping that come 6/1/16 there might. Just trying to keep an optimistic outlook. But again you may very well be right.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 5:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
you're absolutely right that there is no indication at this point. But I am hoping that come 6/1/16 there might. Just trying to keep an optimistic outlook. But again you may very well be right.
There's nothing magical that's going to happen on 6/1/16 next year. The changes are already in effect. Dynamic award pricing applies to flights booked today for travel on or after June 1, 2016.
Old Jul 27, 2015, 5:54 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by ATOBTTR
As of now, we have a KL 747 on the outbound and the AF A380 on the return. Can't wait.
We flew this combination in reverse last year - AF A380 east, KL 747 back (and got the new WBC, too). It was a great trip!

We debated UD vs. nose on the 747 for a while, but eventually settled on the UD as Mrs. Lee had never ridden upstairs before. Wish all of life's decisions were that hard.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 7:26 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Dieuwer
I will most likely cancel my Delta AMEX at the end of July unless AMEX gives me tens of thousands of Skymiles as compensation.
Called AMEX to solicit for a retention bonus in order for me to keep the card and pay the AF. AMEX threw me a skinny bone of a measly 1,000 Skymiles.
Insulted, I cancelled the card ASAP.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Back in Reds Country (DAY/CVG). Previously: SEA & SAT.
Programs: DL PM 1MM, AA PLAT, UA Silver, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium
Originally Posted by gooselee
We flew this combination in reverse last year - AF A380 east, KL 747 back (and got the new WBC, too). It was a great trip!

We debated UD vs. nose on the 747 for a while, but eventually settled on the UD as Mrs. Lee had never ridden upstairs before. Wish all of life's decisions were that hard.
We have the UD for the KL 747 (and for the A380 too). That's a bucket list item for me - ride on the upper deck of the 747. And although she usually just leaves all the flight reservations to me and lets me have my fun ("Do what you want - just tell me when I need to be ready to go"), in this case Mrs. ATOBTTR is nearly as I excited as I am for the upper deck.
Old Jul 31, 2015, 5:41 pm

Programs: AA - PLT(2MM); DL - PM(2MM); Hilton - Gold; Marriott Bonvoy- Titanium; Hyatt - Platinum
A couple of weeks ago we flew UD on our ATL-AMS 747. While at the gate, and getting settled into our seats, I noticed that the flight deck door was open and therefore headed forward with camera in hand. The pilot introduced himself, and his co-pilot, and asked if I would like to have my photo taken in his seat. Is the Pope catholic?! A great souvenir!! He also indicated that this bird, and perhaps all the other NW 747's, would be retired in 2017. On our CDG-DTW 747 return we opted for seats in the nose. A nice experience, but the UD seemed to be a little more private, and our preference.
Old Aug 8, 2015, 7:37 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, , Delta 2MM & DM UA Gold
I did some random flights, and yes found BOS- SYD next summer at 600k+ for a business seat, which is absurd, but I also found some MSP-Europe at 120k business, which is tolerable.

What bothers me even more is that I was looking to go from MFR to PHL next summer, and 325 days out, a coach seat is 60k+ I know there are only 2 flights, on DL, but I just don't see that many people booking flights from MFR 325-331 days out for the low flight.

I totally get what Delta is doing. It makes good business sense. However, those who fly to little airports again get the shaft
Old Aug 28, 2015, 6:43 am

Programs: DL - PM (Sky Priority);HH - Gold; Marriott - Silver; National - Executive; DL Reserve AMEX
Wow.... we used to be able to book an M fare US-Europe and use 25,000 miles each way to upgrade. So, 50,000 miles total.

Under this new system, I'll have to use 120,000 miles to upgrade roundtrip US-Europe, even in an M fare? That is NUTS!
Old Sep 14, 2015, 9:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by MikeyZBT
Wow.... we used to be able to book an M fare US-Europe and use 25,000 miles each way to upgrade. So, 50,000 miles total.

Under this new system, I'll have to use 120,000 miles to upgrade roundtrip US-Europe, even in an M fare? That is NUTS!
Yep. That's what just happened to this guy who upgraded from a B fare. 120k. http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...g-tickets.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.