Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 14, 2015, 4:38 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Summary of SkyMiles Upgrade Changes

Effective Aug 1, 2015, DM's on paid fares and no companions will no longer receive complimentary upgrades JFK-LAX/SFO. Delta's reps failed to disclose this in their June 14 announcement.

For travel on or after June 1, 2016, additional fare classes are eligible for SkyMiles upgrades:
Within North American and northern South America, L/U/T fares are now eligible. (Previously only Y/B/M/H/Q/K)
For all other markets, H/Q/K fares are now eligible. (Previously only Y/B/M)

SkyMiles Upgrade Awards will also require more miles. Prices for the following markets as quoted by multiple reservations agents: (Pricing is one-way)

(current chart based on observations has been moved to this thread: Upgrading with miles)
Print Wikipost

SkyMiles July Announcements

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14, 2015, 5:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by FlytheTail
Thanks -- but since there's no official source, should this be marked as [Unconfirmed]?

These upgrade award amounts are simply outrageous; hard to believe they are for one-way travel.
Since Delta won't publish charts on its website, they were confirmed the only way they are ever going to be - by calling and asking an agent. Feel free to do the same, and please come back to update the wiki with your findings for additional regions.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 5:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL Scattered Smothered Covered Medallion, Some hotel & car stuff, Kroger Plus Card
Originally Posted by javabytes
Edit: Got some very interesting data on SkyMiles upgrades.

Domestic (except JFK-LAX/SFO, Hawaii, etc.):
Y/B/M: 15,000 miles
S/H/Q/K: 20,000 miles
L/U/T: 30,000 miles

Prices are each way. Sorry, those are the only regions I got. But it's pretty clear: this is a bloodbath.
Not commenting on the int'l UGs, but at these rates for domestic, why not just PWM to the FCM fare? Quite often the FCM fare is well less than coach+$600 RT.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 5:51 pm

Programs: DL DM/2.768MM, Global Entry, Titanium_Marriott, GHertz
Originally Posted by gooselee
Not commenting on the int'l UGs, but at these rates for domestic, why not just PWM to the FCM fare? Quite often the FCM fare is well less than coach+$600 RT.
I mentioned PWMs upthread and after seeing the Wiki numbers wonder when DL is going to dilute PWMs which I thought pricey but sometimes necessary for my travel.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 5:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by AAerSTL
Medallions can once again take advantage of Complimentary Upgrades on flights between New York-JFK and Seattle as we are primarily offering our First Class experience on this route. [bolding mine]

Is DL trying to say that occasionally, some flights may be operated by flat-bed seat equipped flights but receive standard domestic F service? I assumed that was the case all along when they came to the realization that SEA can't sustain a premium transcon service. Not sure why they are calling special attention to this fact. ...
that is exactly what they are saying ... but the occasional 16J 757 flights are getting fewer and farther between, being replaced by 739s
Old Jul 14, 2015, 5:56 pm

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Delta has only one more devaluation in them before they have to start listing the miles required for awards and upgrades in scientific notation for readability.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 5:57 pm

Programs: Delta PlM, 1M
Is there any confirmation on Java's post (and what is now in the wiki) about upgrade cost (miles)?

These seam a bit out of whack.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 6:16 pm

Programs: AA Gold, Delta DM Hilton Diamond SPG Gold, and Foodland premium.
So, as a middle of the country FF, this is good and bad. Bad:variable awards pricing. Good: folks on the coasts(if they really need an upgrade) will use their RUC on transcons, leaving more space for me when I need to use them hopping from the Midwest to Florida, California, or Portland(whichever one) I am not sure about the other diamonds out there, but this should help most on the RUC front. It will be interesting what they do with the variable pricing.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 6:19 pm

Originally Posted by exwannabe
Is there any confirmation on Java's post (and what is now in the wiki) about upgrade cost (miles)?

These seam a bit out of whack.
United charges 20,000 miles + $425 - $550 for similar one way upgrades to Europe.

AAdvantage charges 25,000 miles + $350

An additional 60,000 miles instead of levying a $500 copay...or an additional 55,000 to avoid $350 in copay...

Seems plausible.

But not at all attractive.

Last edited by cerealmarketer; Jul 14, 2015 at 7:01 pm
Old Jul 14, 2015, 6:39 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Hmmmm... 230,000 miles plus ~ USD$2,000 for a restricted J ticked to Aus on Delta? Or, equating with PWM, roughly USD$4,300 for a restricted J ticket? I guess that's logical.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 7:40 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Gold
If true, I am very surprised to see such a huge increase for Y/B/M fares. This really screws the business traveler who is buying the very expensive last minute coach ticket and can't buy into J due to company policy but could use miles. Can you imagine buying a Y fare that was priced the same or even less than business and then be asked to fork over 120K miles for a r/t UG??
Old Jul 14, 2015, 8:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL FO, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by jdrtravel
If true, I am very surprised to see such a huge increase for Y/B/M fares. This really screws the business traveler who is buying the very expensive last minute coach ticket and can't buy into J due to company policy but could use miles. Can you imagine buying a Y fare that was priced the same or even less than business and then be asked to fork over 120K miles for a r/t UG??
I can't believe that those rates are accurate. 120K to upgrade is almost the same cost as a low-level J award (assuming the 125K award isn't eliminated entirely).

This is the ultimate slap in the face of the customers who make Delta's bottom line. Then again, since a company is paying for the ticket, perhaps Delta thinks that since they have a captive market, they can charge whatever they want, miles-wise, for upgrades.

The RUC changes are clearly meant to be a ruse to distract from the final deathblow to the SkyMiles program. I've been a big supporter of Delta for years now, but this might be the end. Next summer, I fully expect to see TATL J tickets for 300-400K miles. Seven-figure "awards" won't be far behind for other long-haul routes.

Last edited by KDCAflyer; Jul 14, 2015 at 8:22 pm
Old Jul 14, 2015, 8:28 pm

Programs: DL MM, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by WWads
I can't believe that those rates are accurate. 120K to upgrade is almost the same cost as a low-level J award (assuming the 125K award isn't eliminated entirely).

This is the ultimate slap in the face of the customers who make Delta's bottom line. Then again, since a company is paying for the ticket, perhaps Delta thinks that since they have a captive market, they can charge whatever they want, miles-wise, for upgrades.

The RUC changes are clearly meant to be a ruse to distract from the final deathblow to the SkyMiles program. I've been a big supporter of Delta for years now, but this might be the end. Next summer, I fully expect to see TATL J tickets for 300-400K miles. Seven-figure "awards" won't be far behind for other long-haul routes.
This analysis makes no sense unless they either eliminate PWM, drastically change PWM, or eliminate lower cost J tickets.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 8:40 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt D
Originally Posted by i2ad10head
It's like them telling us, "Hey we are out to screw you with the mileage redemption thing, we won't tell you by how much, but it will start in July 2016"

Gee, thanks for the advanced notice, keeps people like me confused as to whether I should keep or get rid of my miles.

Vague news is bad news...
Answer - Declining asset. Use them ASAP.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 8:42 pm

Programs: B6 Mosaic, Bonvoy LT Titanium (x SPG LT), IHG Spire, UA Silver
Originally Posted by jimrpa
This analysis makes no sense unless they either eliminate PWM, drastically change PWM, or eliminate lower cost J tickets.
It is totally within the realm of possibility. With dynamic pricing if a Skymile is valued at 1 cent and a one way fare for tomorrow in J from JFK to LHR is $5981, this means that the one way price could easily be 591,000 miles for a redemption if DL so chose. At these rates upgrades and redemptions for flights that are in demand are going to cost A LOT more than they do now. It is only a matter of time before the move towards a much more narrow value for points than has been the case in the past comes to fruition. DL has been taking steps forward each year to get to this point.
Old Jul 14, 2015, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Wow if those upgrade prices are correct its really beyond insulting. 230k round trip to southern Asia or the south pacific? Thats more than a supposed low level award ticket costs. Its pretty clear where award ticket prices are going just based on the insane upgrades. Bye bye first class redemptions. Now its going to be pay for coach, then use the same amount of miles you use to for an entire free ticket just to get onto the waitlist for J

Better go hit the skymiles mall... some of those previously horrid exchange rates aren't looking so bad now.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.