Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

DL extends offer to give 2,500 SM if bags are not delivered within 20 min. to baggage

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 24, 2015, 2:03 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Zorak
Link to automated claim form: https://www.delta.com/bags/bagsClaimAutomation.action

Post away DL crediting 2500 miles.
Please list the date, arrival time, and airport and when your bags made it.
  • Sample: 2/23/15 MDT 3:15 PM 28 minutes
Print Wikipost

DL extends offer to give 2,500 SM if bags are not delivered within 20 min. to baggage

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2015, 8:28 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, 5.7 MM, UA 3.1 MM, MARRIOTT PLATINUM, AVIS FIRST, Amex Black Card
Originally Posted by pbiflyer
Yep, that was my first thought.
But I am sure that they have so many caveats that they won't give out mile 1.

If they are so intense on good customer service, as their propaganda states, why is this only through March? Do they give up on customer service then?
OP here. I was told by two people (DL contract managers) why this is being done. I posted the info on FT that DL will give 2,500 SM if bags are not delivered within 20 min. to baggage claim 6-8 hours before DL made the official announcement.

There are reasons DL is doing this promotion/test. I will reveal the reasons in 45 days when this 20 min. guarantee is over. I know the reason, but I will respect the wishes of those that gave me the info not to reveal it until it is over.

I have no idea why some on this forum are so negative about something DL is offering for free. It is simple. If your bag is not delivered within 20 mins., submit a claim. I think this is good for everyone that checks bags (I very rarely do) and DL did not have to offer this.

I wonder if I get a "scoop", such as Starbucks being served, free booze in Y International or this 20 min. guarantee, should I post it here on FT - if people are going to be so negative.

AS has a 20 min Baggage guarantee. They are also much, much smaller than DL. Do UA, AA, US, HA, F9, B6, SY, WN, NK or all the other carriers Worldwide make such a promise? No they do not. DL is running a test for a reason and some on FT want to complain about it. Unbelievable.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 8:40 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by apolloms
in time gets sent when pax boarding door gets opened, not parking brake.
You may be right on that, I'll check on my next flight. It could vary by carrier.

We actually tracked the time between the brakes being set and the door opening to gauge how well CS did with connecting the jetway in a timely manner (i.e. being ready when the plane pulls into the gate). We also tracked when crews had to call for a ramp crew to bring them in because they weren't at the gate.

Unfortunately, all the metrics in the World can't make up for poor planning and execution.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 8:44 pm

Programs: DL DM+(segs)/MM, UA Ag, Hilton DM, Marriott Ti (life Pt), TSA Opt-out Platinum
Originally Posted by kettle1
OP here. I was told by two people (DL contract managers) why this is being done. I posted the info on FT that DL will give 2,500 SM if bags are not delivered within 20 min. to baggage claim 6-8 hours before DL made the official announcement.
That and $5 will get you a cup of coffee.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 8:53 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
There are reasons DL is doing this promotion/test. I will reveal the reasons in 45 days when this 20 min. guarantee is over. I know the reason, but I will respect the wishes of those that gave me the info not to reveal it until it is over.
I can't help but think that it really has nothing to do with on-time baggage delivery. Since the promo is based on numbers that they already have, they could certainly figure out which stations need more training. Also, if they really cared about on-time delivery, it would last longer than a month.

I don't see it really having anything to do with AS/SEA. The system is too big for SEA to matter that much.

It seems to me that it may have more to do with how many people read promo eMails and signage, and / or actually take the time to follow through with a claim. Somehow, I'll bet this indirectly ties into publicity around the award calendar being taken down, and SkyMiles promos and devals.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 9:24 pm

Programs: DL DM Charter/2.5MM, AA EXP, Marriott AMB, LT Titanium, HH Diamond, Avis PP, National Exec-E
Originally Posted by HDQDD
That and $5 will get you a cup of coffee.
^ if it was a serious guarantee and changing behavior long term was the goal there would be more skin in the game... like 20,000.
Old Feb 22, 2015, 10:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
So what is the consensus on when the clock starts?

Plane pulls to gate
Door opens

???
Old Feb 23, 2015, 12:24 am

Programs: Skymiles, MPL Chase Premier
Originally Posted by apolloms
in time gets sent when pax boarding door gets opened, not parking brake.
IN time is the brake. There is a metric for pax door and it isn't IN. Not all carriers report the pax door time, so it can't be that.

Originally Posted by mnredfox
So what is the consensus on when the clock starts?
The clock starts the second the captain sets the brake.

Why DL is doing this... let's count the facts:
1) AS, their major competitor in "Winning" SEA has it. Nobody else does so it's a direct copy-the-leader.
2) DL wants more awards for their trophy case.
3) Maybe a tinge of the Award calendar.. but do you honestly think that many people outside of FT/MP really care?

In regards to market studies show how much people pay attention. If they were wondering how many people look at promo signage, they have plenty of data (EC+, FCM, AMEX signups..)

That's it. Not for improving the system, they have that data already. It's purely a puff piece. Think of it as negativity, but it is what it is.

Last edited by Starblazer; Feb 23, 2015 at 12:31 am
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Sounds to me like it is more of an experiment to see which locations have pax that actually care or notice about luggage delivery taking longer than the 20 min and take the time file the claim to get the miles.

I believe its a safe assumption that DL already has data on how long it takes bags to get to the belt after the plane arrives at the gate... now they'll see if it matters to pax and at what point they start submitting claims. Will it be 25 min? 30? 45? Or does such a small amount of pax care that DL will just ignore baggage issues?

If you want a sure bet on getting 2500 miles, fly to BOS. Usually the gate is on the satellite/far side of the terminal so takes 10 min to get from the plane to baggage, and then you wait another 15+ min before anything starts happening... then you notice the priority bags are all put on the belt last yet again.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:22 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
My guess is to see whether getting bags out faster, being perceived to deliver bags fast, or having a minor guarantee that the bag will appear quickly can increase the revenue DL receives from checked bag fees.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 6:47 am

Programs: DL DM 4.7 MM MQM Marriott Ambassador Lifetime Titanium AA CK
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
My guess is to see whether getting bags out faster, being perceived to deliver bags fast, or having a minor guarantee that the bag will appear quickly can increase the revenue DL receives from checked bag fees.
I think you are spot on.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 7:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
I know the reason, but I will respect the wishes of those that gave me the info not to reveal it until it is over.
Originally Posted by davetravels
I can't help but think that it really has nothing to do with on-time baggage delivery.

It seems to me that it may have more to do with how many people read promo eMails and signage, and / or actually take the time to follow through with a claim. Somehow, I'll bet this indirectly ties into publicity around the award calendar being taken down, and SkyMiles promos and devals.
There's usually more than one reason. The strategy and justification may be very distilled (ahem) before it reaches lower-level workers but it doesn't make complexity less relevant.

Of the 92 million SkyMiles members, a trivial fraction will know about the pull-down of award charts. IMHO, this as counter-spin doesn't get very far. If we're going to advance theories of why they're doing this, here's mine:

It's part of a strategy to get new SkyMiles members, particularly SEA/Pac Northwest members familiar with the AS guarantee. (Even a negative can work in DL's favor - one needs to have a SkyMiles number to collect the bonus. 'They owe me.') DL can get a lot of value from new SkyMiles members even if they don't fly a lot: Amex will find them. DL can market Comfort +, upgrades, and wifi through the app. Ancillary marketing opportunities galore.

I have no idea why some on this forum are so negative about something DL is offering for free.

I wonder if I get a "scoop", such as Starbucks being served, free booze in Y International or this 20 min. guarantee, should I post it here on FT - if people are going to be so negative.

DL is running a test for a reason and some on FT want to complain about it. Unbelievable.
I share your disappointment but haters gonna hate. That has been a dominant feature of the DL forum since the merger announcement. There are people who will take really ridiculous positions in order to find something to complain about. Where's the guy that said DL shouldn't have AVOD because he didn't want somebody tapping the seatback? The guy who didn't like blue leather seat covers because they show pen marks? DL could deliver bags full of stacks of $100 bills and somebody would complain that DL had displaced their favorite old socks, made him wait 19 minutes to receive it, and now the bag was too heavy and DL didn't provide a porter.

People really should fly other airlines more. The people who come here to hate on DL might find something they like; their separation would also give market feedback. Time on other carriers would also give people a better appreciation of DL's relative strengths versus its competitors. A lot of people capable of objective understanding will come back to DL, and they might complain less. If DL really has nothing for you in network, service, schedule or price, do your homework, make a choice and move on.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 7:51 am

Programs: Diamond with Delta, Hyatt and Hilton. 2 MM and Plat with America (thank you citi:))
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Or to get planes out faster and/or ease up the GA's work so they can reduce gate checking of bags when the bins are full.

I'm sure most of us on here don't normally check bags unless we have jobs that require that require we travel with supplies that have to be check, and most of us are exempt for the bag fees. When you travel all the time, even 20 minutes can be valuable.

Another thing I wish Delta would do is guarantee yellow tag bags come out first. I only check bags a few times a year, and I'd say they are only on the belt first half the time. Last time we checked bags was our LHR trip, my wife and I were in J, both diamonds, and connected in DTW. At DTW they had a different belt for yellow tags, and the other belt started up five minutes before ours. Was irritating to see people with no status in Y getting their bags before diamonds flying in J.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 7:52 am

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Starblazer
IN time is the brake. There is a metric for pax door and it isn't IN. Not all carriers report the pax door time, so it can't be that.
I sit up front for a DL Connection carrier and I send the ACARS report, I can assure you that at least for our "delta" flights, "in time" is when the pax door is opened, not when the brake is set.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 8:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by ILovetheReds
Or to get planes out faster and/or ease up the GA's work so they can reduce gate checking of bags when the bins are full.

I'm sure most of us on here don't normally check bags unless we have jobs that require that require we travel with supplies that have to be check, and most of us are exempt for the bag fees. When you travel all the time, even 20 minutes can be valuable.

Another thing I wish Delta would do is guarantee yellow tag bags come out first. I only check bags a few times a year, and I'd say they are only on the belt first half the time. Last time we checked bags was our LHR trip, my wife and I were in J, both diamonds, and connected in DTW. At DTW they had a different belt for yellow tags, and the other belt started up five minutes before ours. Was irritating to see people with no status in Y getting their bags before diamonds flying in J.
I would agree with this if it's amended to the goal/plan of reducing turnaround time. This is one aspect of Southwest's profitability: their planes don't sit parked at airport gates for very long compared to legacy airlines.
Old Feb 23, 2015, 9:00 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I share your disappointment but haters gonna hate. That has been a dominant feature of the DL forum since the merger announcement.

DL could deliver bags full of stacks of $100 bills and somebody would complain that . . . . .
Huh?!?!? There was a merger?!?!? Gimme $500!!!

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
A lot of people capable of objective understanding will come back to DL, and they might complain less. If DL really has nothing for you in network, service, schedule or price, do your homework, make a choice and move on.
I feel certain - <and I'm sure you'll agree> - that much of the over-the-top posts of negativity here are simply due to internet anonymity. People can and will embellish stories to blow off steam, but, in reality, they know, for example, when they say things like, in the other post about the award calendar - - I'm never flying Delta - That award calendar thing is no way to run an airline - - Surely, they're not serious, especially when they realize that there are only 3.5 true airlines left at the moment.

Kind of like a certain few TV talk show hosts who spout outrageous thingz that I don't think even THEY believe.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.