Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

OFFICAL from Delta: Award Stopovers & Open Jaw GONE #Skymiles2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OFFICAL from Delta: Award Stopovers & Open Jaw GONE #Skymiles2015

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2014, 9:06 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
I'm very confused as to why everyone is "shocked" at this. This is no different than how AA does their mileage flights.

That's the price you pay for one-way. I fully expected this
So what? AA isn't their only competitor. UA has also offered one-ways for some time, and has still retained (to date) stopovers and open-jaws.

I'm not shocked at all that DL made this change, but there's nothing that says DL had to go this route. It's not at all unreasonable for folks to have hoped DL would have gone with the UA and not AA approach.

(I wouldn't be surprised if UA eliminates stopovers and OJs at some point)
Old Nov 19, 2014, 5:16 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Watchful
One thing I will like about the "one way" option is that when availability opens up on a routing one can snag it. I can leave the return trip option open and continue to look for availability - use miles on another airline - or pay for it if availability does not open up. With availability at a low level so hard to find, this could be a possible help. I fully understand those who might disagree!
The problem is that it's generally extremely expensive to buy one way international flights, often more expensive than a RT, so that it's not a practical solution to use miles for a one way and purchase a ticket for the other direction.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 5:44 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
The problem is that it's generally extremely expensive to buy one way international flights, often more expensive than a RT, so that it's not a practical solution to use miles for a one way and purchase a ticket for the other direction.
It is a good strategy for domestic and a way to use "pay with miles" for a portion of the trip especially if one does not have the Amex so doesn't have that option otherwise.
Old Nov 19, 2014, 6:40 am

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
This is only a concern for the next year or so, but what will be the rules for an existing award itinerary with an OJ and a SO? After 1/1/15, will the old rules apply or will I be unable to change the itinerary because it will no longer conform to the rules?
Old Nov 19, 2014, 7:11 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by 84fiero
So what? AA isn't their only competitor. UA has also offered one-ways for some time, and has still retained (to date) stopovers and open-jaws.

I'm not shocked at all that DL made this change, but there's nothing that says DL had to go this route. It's not at all unreasonable for folks to have hoped DL would have gone with the UA and not AA approach.

(I wouldn't be surprised if UA eliminates stopovers and OJs at some point)
Of course they didn't HAVE to, but it is a business. They're decision tree is more "what CAN we do" vs "what do we HAVE to do". DL is feeling pretty good about it's position in the market -- I don't think they think they need to be a leader in benefits
Old Nov 20, 2014, 10:31 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire, National Exec Elite, Hilton Gold
Ugh, now my feet are truly to the napalm... I've been saving my pesos for years for us to take a huge trip to Australia/New Zealand/Tahiti.

Now I've got a couple weeks to fight the DL award calendar and scrounge together some miraculous combination of flights that'll get us from US-AUS-[open jaw]-NZ-PPT-[stopover]-US on one award next summer.

This shall be fun!

Last edited by stdatwmu; Nov 20, 2014 at 11:30 pm Reason: route
Old Nov 20, 2014, 11:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Wow, this is horrible. What a HUGE devaluation of my SM right now. For those that did simple RT domestic 25K awards, I suppose no big deal. But for those that booked J internationally what a HUGE loss. This seriously devalues my miles close to 30-50%.

What is horrible is now we realize that the whole "it's an IT bug" thing was a complete LIE from DL and that DL is now phasing out the SM OJ's and SO's. Not to mention the elimination of RTW awards.

See here:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...edemption.html

to dishonesty, more silent announcements, and more fleecing.

Just when I thought DL was coming around with real enhancements...

Last edited by mnredfox; Nov 20, 2014 at 11:44 pm
Old Nov 20, 2014, 11:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist & Ambassador: China

Programs: DL DM/MM, UA 1K, AA Exp, HH Dia, WOH Glob, IHG Plat, Marriott Gold, NA EE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by jancotton
My story.

Had a ticket DTW-LAX-SYD and CNS-BNE-LAX-DTW

Tried to add stopover SYD-CNS

1st call - want 90k more miles
2nd call - stopover is no longer allowed
3rd call after seeing this post - got the same customer service as the second call!!! He remembered my long name. Told him I got email from Delta that stopover is still allowed till end of year. He did a plea to ticket dept and made it happened. Yippee!!!

Third time is a charm I guess.
Wait, let me get this straight. DL makes it difficult to do something that worked before. Then you as a customer have to call 3 agents to get them to do something that their current T&C allow. So you're happy when you jump through 10 hoops to do something you should have done easily all along?

Originally Posted by gogreyhound
This latest enhancement just reinforces why I am burning all my miles as fast as I can,
Probably time for another burn baby burn

Originally Posted by FlyAO2
I'm very confused as to why everyone is "shocked" at this.
Well maybe we all should have expected this. But this rule has been around as long as I can remember. NW always had this rule as did DL. This is a huge fleecing/devaluation of miles IMO.

In the end, I'd rather can the whole OW awards program and have OJ/SO's back. I have no doubt DL will be trumpeting this change around as an enhancement, then calling us gamers on why they had to eliminate OJ/SO's.

Last edited by mnredfox; Nov 20, 2014 at 11:50 pm
Old Nov 21, 2014, 1:45 am

Originally Posted by flyerwma
Do you know this to be the case?

I guess you could draw an analogy to these current cases:
  • Party of 4 travels XXX-YYY. This is 4 awards, but one PNR.
  • Travel is USA-EU on Delta in mid, with onward connection (EU-EU) on partner (which has to price in low). This is two awards (DL mid and Partner low), but one PNR.

It is important to clarify this, because if two OW awards requires 2 PNRs, then yes, we will have increased fees and YQ on the EU-USA one-way award, which will be an increase. Ditto re 2 cancellation/change fees for those subject to them.
How DL handles the YQ/YR now for any INTL travel is a big ?. This could effect US-based members quite drastically. One-way YQ/YR on EU-USA travel is about $300, or $600 RT.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 1:46 am

Originally Posted by gregman858
This is probably the worst thing about one way awards. You can bet Delta will charge those fuel surcharges on flights that originate in Europe (when your European-USA flight begins with KLM/Air France). Good luck finding finding low level availability Europe-USA on Delta metal to avoid the surcharge.

So in other words, this is a huge devaluation since if you want to "open jaw" with 2 one ways, you will also accrue the fuel surcharges on the Europe-USA one way flight.
Those fees are charged now even when your travel does begin with DL. I doubt they'd give up an inch at this point.
Old Nov 21, 2014, 1:51 am

Originally Posted by UA Fan
Don't despair folks, the benefits of all these mergers will be rolling in any minute now.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Old Nov 21, 2014, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
What is the current situation with regards on fuel surcharges?
Is it based on origin?
Or is it based on airline flown?

I know DL charges YQ on SU,KQ,CZ flights, any others?
Old Nov 21, 2014, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by rankourabu
What is the current situation with regards on fuel surcharges?
Is it based on origin?
Or is it based on airline flown?

I know DL charges YQ on SU,KQ,CZ flights, any others?
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...les-award.html
Old Nov 21, 2014, 11:08 am

Programs: Fly paid F/J. DL 2MM+.
Originally Posted by Jma12
I really wanted to book an open jaw with a stopover for an intra-Europe flight for next year! I guess I need to book it before end of the year! Can't do anything with Skymiles these days!
Can someone clarify? Previously you could book an open jaw, for example, JFK-FRA/LHR-JFK, on one PNR. Now you have to book two separate one way tickets on two PNR's??
Old Nov 21, 2014, 11:22 am

Programs: Delta Platimum, United 1K
Originally Posted by mnredfox
Wait, let me get this straight. DL makes it difficult to do something that worked before. Then you as a customer have to call 3 agents to get them to do something that their current T&C allow. So you're happy when you jump through 10 hoops to do something you should have done easily all along?
I'm happy because I already gave up on getting it done but you're right, I shouldn't have to do that in the first place. Isn't that how Delta operates anyway? Make it difficult to redeem anything

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.