Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

OFFICAL from Delta: Award Stopovers & Open Jaw GONE #Skymiles2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OFFICAL from Delta: Award Stopovers & Open Jaw GONE #Skymiles2015

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2014, 9:08 pm
havnfn

Programs: Delta-DM; Hilton-Diamond; Hyatt-Diamond
This just might kill our plans for a stop in LA for a few days on the way to Maui next year.

Old Nov 17, 2014, 9:10 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
Unfortunately I was a little late in figuring that out, so I've only taken advantage of it a couple times. But, honestly, without having fixed plans and/or PM+ status it's a bit tricky to use that feature anyway. I'll be sad to see it go, but without it I won't have to stress as much trying to maximize my award tickets.
I haven't been PM in a few years but I have used that option a lot. Also, the stopover doesn't always have to be used just to add an extra leg to a RT ticket. I did something like this last year: MSP-LHR-FCO-VIE-AMS-MSP. LHR and AMS were <24 hour layovers, FCO was the stopover en route to VIE. Now it would cost at least a chunkful of miles or cash to add the FCO-VIE flight since a stopover will no longer be possible.

Major devaluation but everyone screamed for one-way awards without really knowing DL NEVER gives anything away for nothing
Old Nov 17, 2014, 9:25 pm
Original Member

Programs: DL 3 MM/DM, Marriott Titanium Elite, Hyatt Globalist, National Exec Elite
For me, being able to use one-way awards is a very nice, ahem, enhancement. I do regret losing the stopover benefit.

I'm not sure I understand why anyone would complain about "losing" the open jaw feature, because by moving to one-way awards, you will never have the need for an open jaw roundtrip. The former open jaw roundtrip will simply become two separate one-way trips. It eliminates the need to even calculate whether the open jaw is permissible or not.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 9:42 pm

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
True, I can definitely see using it in the example you provided, but I've mostly used awards for short domestic trips lately, so I think more of the add-on o/w.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 2:32 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
True, I can definitely see using it in the example you provided, but I've mostly used awards for short domestic trips lately, so I think more of the add-on o/w.
Few FT'ers use DL miles for domestic awards but with the stopover provision either en route like LAX/Maui mentikned above or adding an extra leg it really added significant value to DL awards. Way more than one way awards do.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 3:40 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Lots of FTers use DL miles mostly -- or only -- for domestic flights.

Some of the DL stopovers allowed for no additional miles on mileage ticket routings this past summer have already been eliminated without advance public notice for the general public.

This move will further kill off a substantial chunk of the ability of an entire immediate family of three or four (or more) persons to fly on award tickets on the same DL flights or partner flights unless originating or terminating a trip at a DL hub.

SkyMiles management still thinks of its customers as the enemy. This move shows it again.

Last edited by GUWonder; Nov 18, 2014 at 3:53 am
Old Nov 18, 2014, 4:17 am

This latest enhancement just reinforces why I am burning all my miles as fast as I can, why I don't do anything any more to earning miles (including not claiming them on rental cars or hotel stays and cancelling the credit card) and why I have concluded that all of these programs are being redesigned with the help of Bernie Madoff.
I'm among those that think two one-ways are just as good as open jaw. Further, open jaw had the hidden restriction that required the two cities to be within 800 miles of each other, as I found this summer trying to book an open jaw involving SEA and ANC.
But losing the stopover, effectively requiring three one-ways instead of two, is a major downgrade. This is a pretty steep price for getting the one-way award, an industry standard for years. It only makes me wonder what else is coming to create a more exclusive experience.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 4:20 am

Originally Posted by havnfn
This just might kill our plans for a stop in LA for a few days on the way to Maui next year.

Not if you book by the end of the year.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 4:58 am

I don't think Delta will stop until all we have is pay with miles, so a 5k award ticket will cost 500000 miles. It might take a few years but they will get there in the end. Burn baby burn.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 5:44 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TTT
As long as those airports are considered co-terminals then the award pricing should remain the same. In other words, even now a MIA/FLL itinerary isn't using an open-jaw to price but rather a connection at co-terminals.
Sorry - I may have misread the OP in this case. One-ways would still allow a XXX-MIA / FLL-XXX or XXX-LAX / SNA-XXX as they are considered co-terminals and would price just be a round-trip.

If you wanted to do XXX-LAX / SFO-XXX though you would just need to book two one-way awards. Of course, for a non-PM+ this would require two change fees if you need to adjust your trip for any reason.

(The connection statement above is still true as well).
Old Nov 18, 2014, 6:19 am

Programs: DL GM/MM
Although I bemoan the loss of stopovers, the two-one-way award pricing is definitely a positive enhancement. It gets rid of that pesky open jaw mileage requirement, and allows for double open jaws. It gets back to the days such as when I flew MCO-EDI and PEK-MCO priced as two one ways (or two halfs of the round trip award prices).

I see nothing saying that one way awards have to be on separate tickets which would result in double cancel/change fees. Nothing to make that easier for anyone than to put both on the same PNR.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 6:33 am

Programs: UA 1K, HH Diamond
The blog site says Delta "announced" this change. Where is it announced exactly? link? website?
Old Nov 18, 2014, 6:35 am
havnfn

Programs: Delta-DM; Hilton-Diamond; Hyatt-Diamond
Originally Posted by gogreyhound
Not if you book by the end of the year.
Yeah...the Mrs is going to look into moving the trip up a couple of months so we can get it booked this year.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 6:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by mifuchs
Two one ways should price the same. However, if you have to cancel and you are not Diamond or Platinum you would have to pay two $150 re-deposit fees. Ouch!!!
Why should they "price" the same? For instance, a trip to Europe now takes two one-way awards that may include hefty surcharges for the leg starting in Europe.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 6:54 am

Programs: Delta Platinum & MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, National Car Executive
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Why should they "price" the same? For instance, a trip to Europe now takes two one-way awards that may include hefty surcharges for the leg starting in Europe.
Right. That is a really good point. Two one ways will not make much sense to Europe or anywhere there are significant surcharges for one direction.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.