Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

OFFICAL from Delta: Award Stopovers & Open Jaw GONE #Skymiles2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OFFICAL from Delta: Award Stopovers & Open Jaw GONE #Skymiles2015

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2014, 1:02 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by lsugolfer
So 50k minimum since 25k OW's are the floor?
SkyMiles2015 12,500 is the floor for domestic per direction of travel. So assuming both directions in Low the itinerary will still price at 25,000.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 2:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA*1K MM SK EBG LATAM BL
Also, looks like one-way rates have mostly gone up for travel outside of NA.
Almost all rates up by ~5k for Y, ~10k for J each way

Some examples
Old/New rates each way,

Europe- North Asia Y 45k->50k, J 70k->80k
North Asia - Hawaii Y 27.5k->30k, J 42.5k->50k
North Asia - Africa J 75k->80k
Old Nov 18, 2014, 2:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K
Not sure what anyone expects. Its a copy cat game, one airlines does it the rest are usually next in line. AA was first UA will be next
Old Nov 18, 2014, 2:34 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by TTT
SkyMiles2015 12,500 is the floor for domestic per direction of travel. So assuming both directions in Low the itinerary will still price at 25,000.
Do we actually know that? Yes. the award chart lists a bunch of one way fares (in miles) but even the post 1/1/2015 chart still says "one way pricing based on round trip..."

Given all we've seen it wouldn't surprise me if 25K is the R/T "floor" but a saver O/W will cost, say 15K.

No evidence of this and I hope it isn't true but when has Delta missed an opportunity to stick it to us
Old Nov 18, 2014, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by mifuchs
Not just gamers. Stopovers could be used for very legitimate purposes. For example this past June I took my two twenty something kids on a fantastic trip to South Africa. We had to transit thru LHR to get J award tix as they are rarely available on the ATL-JNB route. We did a 3 day legitimate stopover in London on the this trip. This helps a great deal with the long layover and exhausting travel and my daughter had never been to London. Does anyone know offhand how many miles this would have added? As it was I was lucky to still get in on 140k but I believe it is now 160k from the US to SA. And it will be even more with this new change.

I fully understand eliminating the stopover on a one way but on a round trip it was really a great benefit and this is basically a devaluation.
I would have stopped over in PAR instead. The savings from the lack of UK APD would pay for your €star RT ticket across the channel
(plus the 5GBP fare to central London from LHR.)
Old Nov 18, 2014, 3:18 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer
Do we actually know that? Yes. the award chart lists a bunch of one way fares (in miles) but even the post 1/1/2015 chart still says "one way pricing based on round trip..."

Given all we've seen it wouldn't surprise me if 25K is the R/T "floor" but a saver O/W will cost, say 15K.

No evidence of this and I hope it isn't true but when has Delta missed an opportunity to stick it to us
Interesting - I never noticed the fine print at the bottom. It would be hard to keep track of two award charts, one for OW and one for RT, but I suppose they could do it. I hope not though - loss of stopover and OJ and have OW award pricing higher than 1/2 RT would be a really big devaluation, IMO.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 3:42 pm

Programs: AAdvantage, Skymiles, Priority Club, HHonors
I switched from DL/Skymiles as my primary program because of no one way redemptions, flipping to AA. True, AA eliminated stopovers, but one ways give me a lot of options to mix and match, since I have miles in a few programs plus Amex and Chase transfer options. BA's Avios short haul redemptions within Europe are pretty great. Occasionally I have to buy a short haul connector flight, but it isn't the end of the world.

The bigger issue with DL for me, even after they move to one way redemptions, is DL's redemption rates. For 2015, a one way US-Europe saver award in biz is 50K on AA, 57.5K on UA and 62.5K on DL. US to North Asia is 140K roundtrip on DL in BusinessElite, 5K MORE than the 135K that AA charges for FIRST class bookings on Cathay. BE is a fine, but not top level, product and definitely not on par with first on Cathay.

DL has been such a disappointment over the last year, with every move seemingly giving the middle finger to customers, from pulling availability access from Expertflyer to raising the MQD requirements. And now pulling stopovers. It all adds up to a 'the only thing we really care about is our bottom line" message.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 3:58 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
I'm very confused as to why everyone is "shocked" at this. This is no different than how AA does their mileage flights.

That's the price you pay for one-way. I fully expected this
I totally agree but 99% of the posters were hellbent in the past about DL having one-way awards. They have nothing to complain about. They made their own bed so now they have to lie in it. And those of us who didn't clamor for it have to lie in it too.

I would not be surprised a bit that open jaws from USA to Europe and back will now incur international origination surcharges for the return trip, as was mentioned above. You asked for one-way awards, and you got them. How sad!
Old Nov 18, 2014, 4:04 pm

Programs: DL Gold Hilton Gold
One thing I will like about the "one way" option is that when availability opens up on a routing one can snag it. I can leave the return trip option open and continue to look for availability - use miles on another airline - or pay for it if availability does not open up. With availability at a low level so hard to find, this could be a possible help. I fully understand those who might disagree!
Old Nov 18, 2014, 4:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Don't despair folks, the benefits of all these mergers will be rolling in any minute now.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 4:09 pm

Originally Posted by rgdave
The bigger issue with DL for me, even after they move to one way redemptions, is DL's redemption rates. For 2015, a one way US-Europe saver award in biz is 50K on AA, 57.5K on UA and 62.5K on DL. US to North Asia is 140K roundtrip on DL in BusinessElite, 5K MORE than the 135K that AA charges for FIRST class bookings on Cathay. BE is a fine, but not top level, product and definitely not on par with first on Cathay.
Have you tried to find AA's saver to Europe in Business lately? The only thing I find in BA inventory and that's got a huge surcharge.
Old Nov 18, 2014, 4:56 pm

Programs: Fallen DL DM (PM) 2MM
Originally Posted by rgdave
They raised the redemption rates because they were too generous in giving out SkyMiles. After Jan 1 they are being stingier but we still have the inflated rates...
Old Nov 18, 2014, 5:59 pm
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
Originally Posted by UA Fan
Don't despair folks, the benefits of all these mergers will be rolling in any minute now.
But, OF COURSE !!! Isn't that what they all testified to at all their pre-merger hearings?!?

MORE choices! Lower prices! BETTER for the traveling public!

Old Nov 18, 2014, 7:58 pm

Programs: AC35K, AS MVP, WS Gold, ITA EP, Marriott Plat, Hyatt-Explorist, IHG Diamond
Thumbs down

I really wanted to book an open jaw with a stopover for an intra-Europe flight for next year! I guess I need to book it before end of the year! Can't do anything with Skymiles these days!
Old Nov 18, 2014, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by TheMadBrewer

http://www.delta.com/content/www/en_...s-program.html

Says one way awards are half the price of round trips

However, it also says

Additional fare rules and restrictions may apply to One-Way Awards.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.