Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

OFFICAL from Delta: Award Stopovers & Open Jaw GONE #Skymiles2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OFFICAL from Delta: Award Stopovers & Open Jaw GONE #Skymiles2015

Search this Thread

Old Nov 17, 2014, 6:51 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, National Car Executive
Originally Posted by Janus777
Kinda makes sense to me...
people booking one ways and OJ's and chaining stop-overs doesn't really make sense with the new award policies..

So who loses with this policy? Award gamers...it might be noted that the previous (current) award program wasn't set up to allow a free one-way on the back end of every award ticket..(despite what all the travel bloggers teach)
Not just gamers. Stopovers could be used for very legitimate purposes. For example this past June I took my two twenty something kids on a fantastic trip to South Africa. We had to transit thru LHR to get J award tix as they are rarely available on the ATL-JNB route. We did a 3 day legitimate stopover in London on the this trip. This helps a great deal with the long layover and exhausting travel and my daughter had never been to London. Does anyone know offhand how many miles this would have added? As it was I was lucky to still get in on 140k but I believe it is now 160k from the US to SA. And it will be even more with this new change.

I fully understand eliminating the stopover on a one way but on a round trip it was really a great benefit and this is basically a devaluation.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 7:01 pm

Programs: Delta Platinum & MM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum, National Car Executive
Originally Posted by mifuchs
Not just gamers. Stopovers could be used for very legitimate purposes. For example this past June I took my two twenty something kids on a fantastic trip to South Africa. We had to transit thru LHR to get J award tix as they are rarely available on the ATL-JNB route. We did a 3 day legitimate stopover in London on the this trip. This helps a great deal with the long layover and exhausting travel and my daughter had never been to London. Does anyone know offhand how many miles this would have added? As it was I was lucky to still get in on 140k but I believe it is now 160k from the US to SA. And it will be even more with this new change.

I fully understand eliminating the stopover on a one way but on a round trip it was really a great benefit and this is basically a devaluation.
To answer my own question I think a round trip in J between US and SA with a stop over one way in London will now be 207.5 k. I think it is 62.5+65+80. That certainly seems like a devaluation to me.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 7:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA/DL/UA

ding ding ding ding we have a winner!
Old Nov 17, 2014, 7:05 pm
formerly Mdanner423

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hyatt Diamond
Definitely sucks, not being a "gamer" I enjoyed being able to stop at a connecting city for a couple days before continuing on. Like going from ATL-NRT, stay there for a couple days and continue on to BKK.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 7:06 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
The loss of open jaws is a HUGE blow. In some cities it's the only way to make the routings work at the low pricing. Ex. XXX-MIA FLL-XXX or XXX-LAX SNA-XXX etc.

I suppose you could do two one ways with the new system, but I'm sure DL will find a way to screw us on that and the one way for each way in total will probably end up more than the round trip would be.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by MSP_Monopoly
The loss of open jaws is a HUGE blow. In some cities it's the only way to make the routings work at the low pricing. Ex. XXX-MIA FLL-XXX or XXX-LAX SNA-XXX etc.

I suppose you could do two one ways with the new system, but I'm sure DL will find a way to screw us on that and the one way for each way in total will probably end up more than the round trip would be.
Two one ways should price the same. However, if you have to cancel and you are not Diamond or Platinum you would have to pay two $150 re-deposit fees. Ouch!!!
Old Nov 17, 2014, 7:13 pm

Programs: National Executive Elite, IHG Diamond Elite, Hilton Gold, SW A List, Marriott Gold
Two one ways should price the same. However, if you have to cancel and you are not Diamond or Platinum you would have to pay two $150 re-deposit fees. Ouch!!!
"Should" is the key word here. Who knows what Delta will try to pull come Jan 1st.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by Delta Points
https://www.delta.com/contactus/page...aint/index.jsp

Not that they will listen. They don't don't care. If we stop flying then they will just park jets (I have been told to my face)!
To those of us that fly weekly for work, Delta does an unequaled job of getting us to our destination on-time and with the least stress and angst. The Skymiles program can be frustrating at times but to suggest we don't fly Delta because of it is ridiculous. Your view is amazingly myopic.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 7:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
"Should" is the key word here. Who knows what Delta will try to pull come Jan 1st.
Yes, I'm afraid the best "enhancements" are yet to come... Unless Mr. Anderson encounters the ghosts of Delta CEO's past, present, and future this Christmas I think we are going to be very disappointed in 2015.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 7:39 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by EZEDoesIt
Ugh. This was one of the best benefits of award travel.
I know. Everyone was clammering for "one way awards" but I knew it would come at a huge cost. I always said, and continue to say, the stopover/open jaw benefits greatly outweigh the one-way awards for most people who know the DL award system.

And adding the extra leg to round trip award tickets was huge. Three trips for the price of 2 award tickets. Bye-bye to that as of Jan 1st.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 7:46 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond

As long as those airports are considered co-terminals then the award pricing should remain the same. In other words, even now a MIA/FLL itinerary isn't using an open-jaw to price but rather a connection at co-terminals.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 8:10 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, AA Plat Pro, MR LTP, others from cards
That is terrible. When using miles for Europe or Asia I usually used one or the other, sometimes both. For example flew to Helsinki, then started the return in Riga after some overland travel and did a stopover in Amsterdam on the way back. Or flew to SIN with a stopover at ICN on KE, then back on DL.

Delta just seems to be systematically removing every feature of the program that might give more than $0.01/mile value so that the new program just becomes a fixed percentage rebate.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 8:15 pm

Programs: DL, HHonors, Bonvoy, Hyatt
Originally Posted by fti
And adding the extra leg to round trip award tickets was huge. Three trips for the price of 2 award tickets. Bye-bye to that as of Jan 1st.
Unfortunately I was a little late in figuring that out, so I've only taken advantage of it a couple times. But, honestly, without having fixed plans and/or PM+ status it's a bit tricky to use that feature anyway. I'll be sad to see it go, but without it I won't have to stress as much trying to maximize my award tickets.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 8:41 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM
Originally Posted by readywhenyouare
Yes, I'm afraid the best "enhancements" are yet to come... Unless Mr. Anderson encounters the ghosts of Delta CEO's past, present, and future this Christmas I think we are going to be very disappointed in 2015.
My thoughts exactly.
Old Nov 17, 2014, 8:52 pm

Programs: Marriott Titanium, , Delta 2MM & DM UA Gold
If I understand this correctly, it is very disappointing. I take my kids on trips with me to use the miles. This year I went sea-jfk. Lga- buf and buf-sea for 40000 miles. If they make more 12.5k available this would be a slight benefit, but if not, it's an additional 20k.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.