Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

OFFICAL from Delta: Award Stopovers & Open Jaw GONE #Skymiles2015

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

OFFICAL from Delta: Award Stopovers & Open Jaw GONE #Skymiles2015

Search this Thread

Old Dec 29, 2014, 11:07 am

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
Originally Posted by lamont2718
I have tried with several agents to no avail. They have also escalated the issue to supervisors and/or IRRRES with the same result as well.

Indeed!
Thank you for the information. Prior award travels included a stopover and a destination and considered one more prior to January 1. But I am more and more inclined to wait until after January 1 and determine the better options to leverage the one way award travels.
Old Dec 29, 2014, 1:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire, National Exec Elite, Hilton Gold
I have tried with several agents to no avail. They have also escalated the issue to supervisors and/or IRRRES with the same result as well.
Have you asked them to transfer you to the IMR (Int'l Manual Reissue) desk or Global Ticketing?

Those are the wonderful folks who made it work for me earlier this month.

Good luck!
Old Dec 29, 2014, 4:48 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Thanks for the suggestion. The international manual reissue desk might be the same as the IRRRES folks. Either way, since DL is now simply enforcing a rule they have always had, I don't see much ground for me to protest or escalate further.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 10:44 am

Programs: DL PM - IC RA - HHonors Gold - Hertz Gold - AA - US - CO - Choice Privileges
No stopovers. No open jaw. But one way.

But what are the rules for one way award travel? max segments? max miles? point to point or segment by segment?
Old Dec 30, 2014, 6:17 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by BF263533
Well there will be no more miles run up on Delta. Stopovers and open-jaws are no cost. What alternative airlines should we be putting our miles towards?

Really, nothing more than a fraud and Ponzi scheme. They should disclose that the benefit will disappear over time.

So much for saving miles for your old age. God bless us seniors.
JL oneworld awards are a good value. Up to 8 flights with up to 7 stopovers, 1 open jaw, or double open jaw if return to a different city than origin. Can be RTW or RT or anything - simply priced based on total distance flown. Just the YQ surcharges can be high. But, personally I find good value from JL. Best to earn as SPG points (e.g. SPG AmEx) and then transfer to JL when ready to book, given the 2 years mileage expiration (since date earned).
Old Dec 30, 2014, 6:28 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
Thanks for the suggestion. The international manual reissue desk might be the same as the IRRRES folks. Either way, since DL is now simply enforcing a rule they have always had, I don't see much ground for me to protest or escalate further.
Yes, the two most empowered groups of res agents are IRRRES and IXXRES.

You can also try to call directly to HIBRES (use the direct # for there), where most agents at least will try harder to help you, though their hands are largely tied behind their backs by Dullta and the massive downgrade (dumb-down) in the reservations system.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 6:32 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by RealHJ
Yes, the two most empowered groups of res agents are IRRRES and IXXRES.

You can also try to call directly to HIBRES (use the direct # for there), where most agents at least will try harder to help you, though their hands are largely tied behind their backs by Dullta and the massive downgrade (dumb-down) in the reservations system.
However, trying to call Chisholm directly won't get you to an elite agent and, moreover, I've been told that they cannot transfer your to an elite agent in Chisholm.
Old Dec 30, 2014, 11:02 pm

Programs: DL Diamond 1.7MM, Starlux Insighter, Bonvoy Titanium, Hilton Gold, Hertz PC

Indeed!
+1. I called in today and spent two hours on the line with a helpful SLCRES agent, but she was unable to ticket anything including a stopover at the correct price (not even including an open jaw!). She called the international ticket issuance desk for assistance and they were unable to get the free stopover in there, either.

It really stinks that Delta lied about the policy change and has instituted it early, despite the notice on their web site saying we have until tomorrow to book tickets under the old rules.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 1:38 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by BenA
+1. I called in today and spent two hours on the line with a helpful SLCRES agent, but she was unable to ticket anything including a stopover at the correct price (not even including an open jaw!). She called the international ticket issuance desk for assistance and they were unable to get the free stopover in there, either.

It really stinks that Delta lied about the policy change and has instituted it early, despite the notice on their web site saying we have until tomorrow to book tickets under the old rules.
Did you try calling again or escalate?
Old Dec 31, 2014, 1:53 am

Programs: Bonvoy Ambassador, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, AA EXP, UA Silver, former DL DM
Originally Posted by BenA

If you have only one stopover and no open-jaws in your itinerary, I would try calling again. I was able to book my award successfully with the CDG stopover once I dropped the open-jaw.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 7:18 am

Got my award with stopover in one phone call (a long one). Kept in simple at five segments total w/o an open jaw.
Ex Europe, dodged YQ with KE flights.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 8:47 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
Originally Posted by Lack
Got my award with stopover in one phone call (a long one). Kept in simple at five segments total w/o an open jaw.
Ex Europe, dodged YQ with KE flights.
CVGRES booked a ticket to NZ and Australia for me with an open jaw and stopover yesterday. I had the flights all picked out, but it took 30 minutes to get it priced. They came back with the official rule is stopover or open jaw, but I pointed out that I had several itineraries ticketed with both and it finally went through. The agent was great.

BTW, the delta.com award search changes were really helpful - the calendar is actually correct, and I can now search routes such as ZQN-SYD that could not be searched on-line earlier this year.

It also showed the ugly truth of two whole months in which HSV-LAX was not available in FC at a low level on any day. So as usual, domestic legs in coach, TPAC legs in Business.

David
Old Dec 31, 2014, 9:03 am

Same destinations :-). Might have forced an open jaw too, but intra-NZ flights are cheap enough (plus I very much like ANZ) to let it go.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 11:38 am

Programs: DL PM, UA Premier, AA Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec Elite, Sixt Plat
Called in 3 times but on the final call a very pleasant gentleman worked with me and contacted someone in rates to get my wife and I two biz seats to Asia with an open-jaw and stopover. Cheers to getting in with less than 24 hours to go. All 3 agents were superb but the final one got everything done. Taxes were around $100 a person. Not bad for business for all segments!

As others noted, the award calendars is much more accurate than the last time I booked business tickets to Asia in 2012; that time, it was brutal. Also, there seems to be at most 3 seats open in KE A380 business but it was easy finding 2 seats at a time.
Old Dec 31, 2014, 11:57 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium
I just helped book a friend:
2x 160,000 Skymiles + $370ish taxes/fees per ticket

RDU - LAX DL F (overnight in LAX)
LAX - PPT TN C/J (stopver in Tahiti)
PPT - AKL TN C/J (stopover in Auckland)
AKL - SYD - LAX VA C/J (18 hour layover in LAX)
LAX - JFK - RDU DL F (red-eye LAX - JFK and operated by the premium business class)

It took about 2 hours on the phone and the agent having to work with the rates desk for a LONG time to try and get the destination and stopover.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.