Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Green card holders returning to the US can't check in on Delta

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Aug 4, 2014, 4:39 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL - Diamond Medallion - Global Entry, Pre-check

I searched the forum but could find an existing thread.

I'm green card holder (global entry and pre-checked approved) but whenever I try to check in online on delta.com for a flight returning to the US (when the US is my final destination that is), I can't complete check in. I enter my passport information (I'm French) and country of residence (US) but it keeps asking me for my "address while visiting the United States" and insists I should get ESTA. I tried filling out the address fields with my home address in New York with no success: "you can't check in online and have to check in at the airport".

Air France/KLM and British Airways do have fields to enter one's green card number and complete online check in when flying to the US and it works, including on a one-way to the US. Obviously, Delta's website is lacking this module.

I emailed customer service several time with no success. DeltaAssist is of no help either.

I can't believe I'm the only one in this situation. Does anyone have similar experience? Maybe we could team up and put pressure Delta to fix this problem.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 6:12 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC
My wife and daughter have green cards and Global Entry, and have had no issues with online check in, regardless of destination, including returning to the U.S.
Perhaps there is something in your profile that needs to be updated?
And even with online check in, when its an international flight you still need to show your passport to somebody at Delta, either at a check in counter, Sky Club, or at the gate.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 6:24 pm

Programs: Delta TDK(or care)WIA, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ULDB65
My wife and daughter have green cards and Global Entry, and have had no issues with online check in, regardless of destination, including returning to the U.S.
And even with online check in, when its an international flight you still need to show your passport to somebody at Delta, either at a check in counter, Sky Club, or at the gate.
My wife couldn't check in online at Haneda, and Delta doesn't open at Haneda until late so she couldn't get airside until late. I called the PM line and we tried and tried to figure something out. The typical VWP or Visa holder has their entry authorization tied to their passport, but the green card holder's entry authorization isn't tied to the passport. She had trouble getting past the KLM dragon at AMS because the person at the counter couldn't see an entry authorization and then they summoned a more experienced dragon and everything worked. She has NEXUS. Do you know why your wife and daughter don't have trouble, because I would certainly like to know. Do they use their green cards for global entry? My wife tried coming back from Japan and the machine wouldn't even read her card or her passport. And what document do they enter when they do online check-in?
Old Aug 4, 2014, 6:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks a lot for your answer!
Could they enter their green card numbers somewhere in their DL profiles? Or during the web check in process?

Or did they enter their green card number as their passport number and listed themselves as American nationals?

Sorry to ask so many questions. I asked several people at Delta (DM desk, online support, skymiles) and they all say only US citizen can check in online for a one way or return flight to the US.

Originally Posted by ULDB65
Old Aug 4, 2014, 6:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
I have no issues adding my green card # when using OLCI w/ Delta.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 6:40 pm
Original Poster

Did you have the green card when you created your skymiles profile? I'm wondering if it only works if you have been a US resident from the start.

Originally Posted by cfischer
Old Aug 4, 2014, 6:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MR LTT, HH Dia, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by Cortina Airlines
Did you have the green card when you created your skymiles profile? I'm wondering if it only works if you have been a US resident from the start.
I did not.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
I'm green card holder (global entry and pre-checked approved) I am too

but whenever I try to check in online on delta.com for a flight returning to the US (when the US is my final destination that is), I can't complete check in.
Neither can I - never have been able to do either except when I used to travel with CO.

I enter my passport information (I'm BRITISH ) and country of residence (US) but it keeps saying "you can't check in online and have to check in at the airport".

CO used to have this - Obviously, Delta's website is lacking this module.

I can't believe I'm the only one in this situation. You are not - so are me, my wife and daughter

Does anyone have similar experience? See above - YES

Maybe we could team up and put pressure Delta to fix this problem.good luck
Old Aug 4, 2014, 8:47 pm

Programs: Delta FO
Happens to us every time. I would also like to figure out a solution, as we are often stuck ticketing-side for long periods.
Old Aug 4, 2014, 9:56 pm
Original Poster

Did you enter your green card number in the US passport field or did a special field appear for it?

I'm so confused by how different the experiences are among the different Delta flyers.

Originally Posted by cfischer
Old Aug 5, 2014, 12:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
I've run into issues with OLCI when returning to LHR, especially the last 6 mos or so. Airport has to verify my UK visa. This does not typically happen on AA.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 4:38 am

Programs: Delta DM MM, AS, Bonvoy TE LPE, Hilton Gold
I have the opposite problem as the OP (US citizen, Danish resident). I can check in online when flying to the US, but can no longer check in online for the return trip to Europe.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 5:51 am

I have also had problems with OLCI recently.

I'm a U.S. citizen, Danish resident. It would not allow me to check in online because it could not find evidence that I had a valid ESTA (duh, a U.S. citizen doesn't need an ESTA).

On the return to my home in Denmark, I could not check in online because I could not give the date of when I'd be returning from abroad back to the U.S., which of course I could not do since I was returning to my home in Denmark and was completing the final leg of my round trip itinerary that started in Denmark.

Susan
Old Aug 5, 2014, 4:45 pm
Original Poster

I got off the phone with Delta's web support. We noticed that I had an French-based address in my profile as well as a couple French-based credit cards. We erased all that and the rep told me that it should fix the check in problem. Of course I don't have an international flight immediately planned so I don't know if that's true.

It would be interesting to know, among people who responded to this thread, if the ones having the problem have international addresses listed and the ones who don't have the issue don't have international addresses listed.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 5:00 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
I got off the phone with Delta's web support. We noticed that I had an French-based address in my profile as well as a couple French-based credit cards. We erased all that and the rep told me that it should fix the check in problem. Of course I don't have an international flight immediately planned so I don't know if that's true.

It would be interesting to know, among people who responded to this thread, if the ones having the problem have international addresses listed and the ones who don't have the issue don't have international addresses listed.
This shouldn't matter. I have two addresses in my Delta profile: One in Paris, France (along with a french-based credit card) and one in Santo Domingo, Dom. Rep. I can't remember when was the last time I had an issue to check-in online. I have a visa to enter the U.S. and a resident card to enter France, and it doesn't matter which way I'm going, I've been able to OLCI.

Data point: When I was living in the U.S. (student visa) I was never able to check-in online.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.