Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Green card holders returning to the US can't check in on Delta

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Green card holders returning to the US can't check in on Delta

Search this Thread

Old Feb 19, 2019, 2:03 pm

Programs: DL GM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by audidudi
I have never been able to use a kiosk as there's no way to scan a GC! So how do you do it? Whether you're checking a bag, or not, the agent still needs to verify your info in order to print "DOCS OK" on the boarding pass. At least that's how I have to do it!
Originally Posted by drminn
+1.
Ok, maybe we are not talking the same procedure?

US to Canada flight I can online check in (or use a kiosk I assume). Then someone checks my docs AFTER, usually for me, upon checking my bag. But that doesn't have to happen, it can happen at the gate. I often here them paging for pax to verify passports.

Canada to US I cannot online check in, but I did successfully use the kiosk to check in without an agent. But then walked 5 steps to check my bag where they check my docs.

I mentioned it earlier in this thread that OLCI doesn't work but the kiosk does, which is the whole reason it makes no sense. I expected like you, that upon arriving at the airport I needed to go directly to an agent, however I distinctly remember being annoyed as the line dragon insisted I use a kiosk. To which I promptly figured I'll show him, because it won't work. Sure enough, to my surprise, it worked.

The whole point of this thread, is that it works in one direction but not the other (unless you have or make up a return date). So if OLCI or kiosk can't work without seeing an agent as you suggest, why does it work perfectly fine in one direction.

The issue seems to be because the logic doesn't allow for permanent residents, OLCI assumes if you are not a citizen of the US you must be returning. The kiosk, obviously different code, does not have the same fault.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 10:03 pm

Originally Posted by DBruce49
The problem still persists. My wife, who has GE, green card & Canadian passport, cannot get through OLCI on a one-way ticket home to the US. It wants to know her address while "visiting" the US and her date of return. I reported 2 1/2 years ago that if you put in a date, it will let you continue - that was on the advice of a telephone agent - but I'm still not comfortable with that approach in that it's not 100% truthful if one does not have a date of return planned. Undoubtedly she will return to visit Canada in a few months but at a date unknown.
It's perfectly fine to put anything on the online check-in form, as long as you're 100% truthful when speaking to actual immigration agents. Airlines have zero authority in enforcing immigration law, so it makes no difference what it has in their system. You can even use a different nationality if it helps you check-in online, no one cares. They'll rescan your passport anyway at the gate, correcting whatever information you've entered during online check-in.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 11:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by JonathanReez
It's perfectly fine to put anything on the online check-in form, as long as you're 100% truthful when speaking to actual immigration agents. Airlines have zero authority in enforcing immigration law, so it makes no difference what it has in their system. You can even use a different nationality if it helps you check-in online, no one cares. They'll rescan your passport anyway at the gate, correcting whatever information you've entered during online check-in.
This is incorrect. Putting I'm bad info can have bad consequences. Either 1)the info cant be changed (airlines with really awful reservations system) or 2)the info was already sent on to government, who don't take kindly to such errors and might tell airline to refuse you boarding.

I'm not saying either will happen. However, they both might happen.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 11:25 pm

Originally Posted by flyerCO
This is incorrect. Putting I'm bad info can have bad consequences. Either 1)the info cant be changed (airlines with really awful reservations system) or 2)the info was already sent on to government, who don't take kindly to such errors and might tell airline to refuse you boarding.

I'm not saying either will happen. However, they both might happen.
Please show at least one example of this actually happening. I'm doing this on a regular basis and have yet to experience any issues.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 11:43 pm

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
That is patently false. US, like most other countries, gets APIS data from airlines (see https://www.cbp.gov/travel/travel-in...ersonnel/apis2). If any of your data doesn't match (e.g. passport number, status, nationality, etc.) that was transmitted, there is a real chance of you having problems.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Jan 18, 2020, 11:50 pm

Originally Posted by RealHJ
That is patently false. US, like most other countries, gets APIS data from airlines. If any of your data doesn't match (e.g. passport number, status, nationality, etc.) that was transmitted, there is a real chance of you having problems.
APIS data gets corrected and resent whenever the boarding agent scans your passport at the gate, so it would always be correct. If there are real, substantiated cases (as opposed to hearsay, personal opinions, rumors, etc) of where this is not true, I would love to hear about them.

Again, I'm speaking from personal experience of entering certain things incorrectly while doing online check-in and then breezing through immigration when I land. And again, I'm only talking about what you provide to the airline. You must always remain 100% truthful when talking to immigration agents or any other law enforcement representatives.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 12:07 am

Programs: DL PM/1MM, BW DE (lifetime), HH DE, Marriott PE (lifetime), National Emerald Executive
APIS data gets corrected and resent whenever the boarding agent scans your passport at the gate, so it would always be correct.
Passport is just quickly glanced at, not scanned, at the gate. That is just matching ID/photo to the passenger boarding, but it's not used for data update purposes during boarding.

Now, some airlines, like DL, do often require a passport scan (at check-in counter, lounge, or gate) if one did OLCI, but many other airlines don't. What you enter is what gets sent, though yes, with DL if you go to check-in desk, lounge, or gate after OLCI and have them scan your passport that likely does update it.
Old Jan 19, 2020, 12:17 am

Originally Posted by RealHJ
Passport is just quickly glanced at, not scanned, at the gate. That is just matching ID/photo to the passenger boarding, but it's not used for data update purposes during boarding.

Now, some airlines, like DL, do often require a passport scan (at check-in counter, lounge, or gate) if one did OLCI, but many other airlines don't. What you enter is what gets sent, though yes, with DL if you go to check-in desk, lounge, or gate after OLCI and have them scan your passport that likely does update it.
Even if it doesn't get scanned, what could possibly go wrong? I would love to see real-world examples of people getting intro trouble over incorrect online check-in information. Somehow we're going in circles here
Old Jan 19, 2020, 7:33 am

Programs: DL DM, PMNW 1MM, DL 1MM
FWIW , last month I was able to OLCI from ZRH-JFK. I am a green card holder. Never been able to do that in the past.
Don't know if GE has anything to do with it as I had it for many years already.
Something must have changed.
Old Jan 29, 2020, 10:50 am

Programs: DL (NW) Silver, UA (CO), AA, AC
Originally Posted by Frogbone
FWIW , last month I was able to OLCI from ZRH-JFK. I am a green card holder. Never been able to do that in the past.
Don't know if GE has anything to do with it as I had it for many years already.
Something must have changed.
Thank you Frogbone. I have my fingers crossed. I recall entering a dummy "return date" last fall and I've had GE for years. I've also had the issue of DL setting a default nationality as US because I had a US address. It was supposedly corrected multiple times by airport agents but the only apparently permanent fix was having a phone agent delete all the passport details and re-entering them. DL is the only airline with which I have these kinds of issues.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 8:02 am

Solution Found!

All
I have read most of the thread and haven’t seen if someone found a solution and posted it, but sorry in advance if this is a repeat.
First, thanks for all sharing because I’ve been having the same issue and never realized it was Delta-specific. Now I know!
So I found a very simple solution: check in via a desktop and they automatically will ask you after you enter passport information what is your status (permanent resident, tourist etc...).
Upon checking the box “permanent resident” you will be prompted to enter your green card number and VOILA! Got my boarding pass - and a weight lifted off my shoulders. I never like to get to the airport early and I never check bags so the idea of potentially having to stand in line for some time in case the kiosks don’t work or anything else is always a dread. Hope this will work for everyone else!
StephFG likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM, Former AA EXP now AY Plat, AC 75K, NW Plat, Former CO Gold, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ollyad
All
I have read most of the thread and have seen if someone found a solution and posted it but sorry in advance if this is a repeat.
First, thanks for all sharing because I’ve been having the same issue and never realized it was Delta-specific. Now I know!
So I found a very simple solution: check in via a desktop and they automatically will ask you after you enter passport information what is your status (permanent resident, tourist etc...).
Upon checking the box “permanent resident” you will be prompted to enter your green card number and VOILA! Got my boarding pass - and a weight lifted off my shoulders. I never like to get to the airport early and I never check bags so the idea of potentially having to stand in line for some time in case the kiosks don’t work or anything else is always a dread. Hope this will work for everyone else!
The kiosks seem toalso be the only reliable way to save one's passport in DLs system so can get DOCS OK when checking in online.
btonkid12345 likes this.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 9:39 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold
All
I have read most of the thread and haven’t seen if someone found a solution and posted it, but sorry in advance if this is a repeat.
Is this a new thing, with the number of Delta flyers on this forum that experience this regularly I'm surprised there hasn't been a declaration of success already.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 10:43 am

Programs: Delta PM, SPG, Hertz Presidents Circle, IHG Ambassador, CLEAR/Global Entry
All
Thank you for the info! Mrs Hepsaint has always had this problem. Much obliged for the follow-up
Old Mar 26, 2021, 12:39 am

Thank you!

Thank you so much! This is super helpful! It’s a shame Delta still haven’t implemented this functionally on the app to entre GC number or that they haven’t trained their team to guide customer having issues checking in online to check in via desktop. I have called them several times and they keep telling me I need a US issued ID like a drivers license in order to not have to check in at the counter which is absurd because a GC IS an US official issued ID. But I am glad you found this solution and will safe me so much time and stress! I was able to check in no problem. Thank you again for responding to this!
Cheers!

All

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.