Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Green card holders returning to the US can't check in on Delta

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Green card holders returning to the US can't check in on Delta

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2014, 11:38 pm

That would have nothing to do with the problem I've had. The address in my profile is my residence in Denmark, as is the address on my AmEx, yet when I tried to check in for the last leg of my trip to return to my home in Denmark, it would not let me do so because it wanted to know when I was returning to the U.S. from abroad.

And it should never require an ESTA for a U.S. citizen to fly to the U.S. regardless of where one's residence is.
Old Aug 6, 2014, 2:05 am

Location: Charlotte, NC, USA | CLT, formerly LHR & AMS (with just a bit of PSP)
Programs: BAEC Gold, Hilton Diamond, BonVoy Titanium, (soon former) Caesars7*, (former) Wynn Black, HR "Icon"
Originally Posted by rwoman
I've run into issues with OLCI when returning to LHR, especially the last 6 mos or so. Airport has to verify my UK visa. This does not typically happen on AA.
This happens to me every time I return to Amsterdam (often BOS-AMS); verify visa notice on my record. You can "trick" OLCI with a return date (often, I have one in a few weeks); but the visa will have to be verified by an agent. This also excludes me from curbside check-in of bags at BOS.

(this is also because my flights are AMS-BOS-AMS; so there is no return flight to The States in my record)
Old Aug 6, 2014, 2:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by baccarat_king
This happens to me every time I return to Amsterdam (often BOS-AMS); verify visa notice on my record. You can "trick" OLCI with a return date (often, I have one in a few weeks); but the visa will have to be verified by an agent. This also excludes me from curbside check-in of bags at BOS.

(this is also because my flights are AMS-BOS-AMS; so there is no return flight to The States in my record)
Right - not surprisingly, we have the same issue.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 7:56 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Carl Johnson
Do they use their green cards for global entry? My wife tried coming back from Japan and the machine wouldn't even read her card or her passport. And what document do they enter when they do online check-in?
Yes, they use Green card for GE. The kiosk allows you to manually enter the Green card number.

Data points- they have Green card info and a U.S. address in their DL profile.
Old Aug 15, 2014, 4:56 pm

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Green Card holder as well (soon citizen). I used to be able to OLCI on my returns to US, now I can't anymore (for at least a year).
It recognizes me as non citizen and asks for date of return to country of origin. Of course I don't have one. I even tried to put my green card expiration date and that would not do it. My friend who was returning with me from Singapore last week (also green card) could not OLCI either.

I'm curious to learn from cfisher's experience. I have never found a field to enter my green card online. Only my passport and GE info.
Old Aug 16, 2014, 7:36 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz PC
We failed today as well.

OLCI did not show them as U.S. resident, and even changing that field to U.S. resident would not remove the system´s demand for a return date and local address.

Entering an address and a return date in a few weeks did not help. Still got error message that says "Cannot complete OLCI, please see an agent at the airport to check in".

I called DM desk, and rep was also stumped, and said it should work. She called the IT dept., who told her that Green Card holders must show their docs to an agent at the airport every time they return to the U.S., so the system would not allow them to OLCI.

This didn't make sense to the agent or to me, as it is essentially the same for all int'l travel regardless of origin or destination. We check in online, and at some point in the airport, must show passport (and visa if required) to an agent, either at check in counter, Skyclub, or at the gate, so they confirm our docs are OK for travel. A new boarding pass is then printed that says "DOCS OK".

Not sure how to fix this...
Old Oct 13, 2014, 3:24 pm

Programs: DL (NW) Silver, UA (CO), AA, AC
Problem still exists

I experienced the same problem last month returning from Europe and today trying to OLCI for flying from my native Canada to the US. After getting the standard "the web site was designed to operate this way" I spoke with a supervisor who understood the issue. She indicated that she know it used to be possible to enter a green card & OLCI. The only "work around" offered was to enter a dummy return date, which I am not prepared to do because that info is passed on to ICE. Plus others have reported that doesn't work.

When I first called DL about this from Europe, I was told that it was a known bug (and not a "feature"!). The agent at check in was also very apologetic.

Also, I do not have any foreign addresses or credit cards in my profile and I did not see where one can add a Green Card #.

IIRC I have not experienced an issue with UA.

This is very frustrating because I like being checked in before going to the airport, just in case there is a problem en route. Also, without being checked in I have no way of seeing the upgrade list.

Last edited by DBruce49; Oct 13, 2014 at 3:29 pm
Old Oct 13, 2014, 3:32 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL - Diamond Medallion - Global Entry, Pre-check
Just back to JFK from Singapore via Tokyo-Narita.
As expected, the billing address fix proposed a couple of months ago didn't do anything and I was again unable to check in online for my return flight.
For probably the fourth time, I reached out to DL's web customer service with no success (it was Sunday in the States and apparently web people weren't opened at that time.)
It still seems that Delta considers the 13 millions green card holders as second class flyers who should be treated even less fairly than tourists who come with an ESTA. So frustrating.

Originally Posted by Cortina Airlines
I got off the phone with Delta's web support. We noticed that I had an French-based address in my profile as well as a couple French-based credit cards. We erased all that and the rep told me that it should fix the check in problem. Of course I don't have an international flight immediately planned so I don't know if that's true.

It would be interesting to know, among people who responded to this thread, if the ones having the problem have international addresses listed and the ones who don't have the issue don't have international addresses listed.
Old Oct 13, 2014, 10:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: Delta SkySponge ExtraAbsorbent, SPG Gold
There's a reason for that...
Old Oct 13, 2014, 11:36 pm

Programs: DL Diamond
you can't check in online if a perm. res.! everyone else lets you except delta. i've had a number of angry emails written to them about this nonsense and they were rude and treated me like i was an idiot. if i can check in with lufthansa (alitalia, klm, air france, austrian and swiss!!!) as a regular non-elite to fly to/from the US, then delta should be able to figure something out. this issue enrages me and i feel it's just delta being stupid and lazy about it (fuming & writing from toronto, where i'll have to go to the airport to check in, because it's impossible to do it as a LPR online!!).
Old Oct 14, 2014, 6:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by ogilicious
you can't check in online if a perm. res.! everyone else lets you except delta. i've had a number of angry emails written to them about this nonsense and they were rude and treated me like i was an idiot. if i can check in with lufthansa (alitalia, klm, air france, austrian and swiss!!!) as a regular non-elite to fly to/from the US, then delta should be able to figure something out. this issue enrages me and i feel it's just delta being stupid and lazy about it (fuming & writing from toronto, where i'll have to go to the airport to check in, because it's impossible to do it as a LPR online!!).
I had the same problem on AA yesterday for my return flight to LHR.

This is not limited to DL.
Old Oct 14, 2014, 8:26 am

Programs: DL Diamond
Originally Posted by rwoman
I had the same problem on AA yesterday for my return flight to LHR.

This is not limited to DL.
understood. but it's clearly not an issue for a bunch of other carriers where i was able to check in (with alitalia without additional checks at least on the way out of the US). it's really silly - LPRs go through so many background checks, i can't see the issue here. what's even more annoying is the lack of any proper feedback from (at least) delta
Old Oct 15, 2014, 9:44 am
Original Poster

I spoke again with DL's online support desk about the OLCI problem.
After being given sloppy answers like:
“We have problems with OLCI for some of our customers; please call us back iff this happens again”,
I finally spoke with a supervisor who took the time to call the web engineers and gave me a definitive answer: the green card module that would allow us to check in online doesn’t exist on the Delta.com website at all. He promised he would escalate the complaint and give me feedback as early as tomorrow... I pointed out that not only AF/KLM does have those fields to enger GC information but that AA does too… Hopefully they’re responsive to that.

If you're having this problem too, please call 888-750-3284 ASAP and specifically asked to talk to a supervisor, in order to (keyword) "escalate" the complaint. If it's many of us, maybe they'll actually address the issue.

Last edited by Cortina Airlines; Oct 15, 2014 at 9:49 am
Old Oct 15, 2014, 10:25 am
Original Poster

If you don't have time to call, I suggest you email the following through delta.com:

<<Over the past few months I have systematically been unable to check in online for flights to the United States originating in foreign countries. I am a lawful permanent resident of the United States and unfortunately, delta.com doesn’t allow me to enter my green card information during the check in process. After verification with the online support desk, it seems that the website is lacking this function, making it impossible for green card holders to obtain a boarding pass online. Moreover, there is a lack of training of phone agents who are unaware of this problem and wasted my and their precious time investigating my account in vain to try to solve the problem. There are 13 millions green card holders in the USA and there are more likely to travel internationally than anybody else. Other airlines like Air France-KLM have fields to enter green card information during the online check in process and allow customers to obtain a boarding pass (ironically, this works seamlessly for Delta operated flights out of CDG and AMS.) American Airlines also allows green card holders to enter their green card information in their profile. Please, escalate this complaint to both corporate and technical departments. It is urgent that web designers add the necessary modules in order to allow green card holders to check in online when returning to the United States from abroad. Thank you. PS: this problem concerns a large number of people as shown on that forum thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...eck-delta.html>>
Old Oct 15, 2014, 3:10 pm

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott Plat, National EE
Originally Posted by Cortina Airlines
If you don't have time to call, I suggest you email the following through delta.com:

<<Over the past few months I have systematically been unable to check in online for flights to the United States originating in foreign countries. I am a lawful permanent resident of the United States and unfortunately, delta.com doesn’t allow me to enter my green card information during the check in process. After verification with the online support desk, it seems that the website is lacking this function, making it impossible for green card holders to obtain a boarding pass online. Moreover, there is a lack of training of phone agents who are unaware of this problem and wasted my and their precious time investigating my account in vain to try to solve the problem. There are 13 millions green card holders in the USA and there are more likely to travel internationally than anybody else. Other airlines like Air France-KLM have fields to enter green card information during the online check in process and allow customers to obtain a boarding pass (ironically, this works seamlessly for Delta operated flights out of CDG and AMS.) American Airlines also allows green card holders to enter their green card information in their profile. Please, escalate this complaint to both corporate and technical departments. It is urgent that web designers add the necessary modules in order to allow green card holders to check in online when returning to the United States from abroad. Thank you. PS: this problem concerns a large number of people as shown on that forum thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...eck-delta.html>>
Will send them a message - this happend to me as well twice this year returning to the US from DUS (Germany).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.