Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Green card holders returning to the US can't check in on Delta

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Green card holders returning to the US can't check in on Delta

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2014, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL - Diamond Medallion - Global Entry, Pre-check
Thank you, Toby!

Originally Posted by tobytobsen
Will send them a message - this happend to me as well twice this year returning to the US from DUS (Germany).
Old Oct 16, 2014, 2:29 pm
Original Poster

Progress

The web support supervisor I spoke to yesterday called me back today and provided me with the following information:

- The website is not ready for Green Cards holders; therefore there is no point trying to check in online when you're returning to the United States from abroad (except if you're checking via a third-party airline like Air France-KLM out of CDG or AMS.)

- Web support reps will have access to a memo informing them about the problem so they don't waste time anymore trying to fix what simply can't be fixed.

- It seems that Delta is aware of the problem and has made the decision to fix it. A new version of Online Check In should be launched late 2014 or early 2015 and allow Green Card holders to check in online. THIS is the big news!

He also confirmed that numerous complaints were received. I suggest we keep a friendly yet firm pressure on Delta for them to fix this problem ASAP. Until then, I appreciate the clarification, acknowledgment of the issue, and will to fix it.

Last edited by Cortina Airlines; Oct 16, 2014 at 2:30 pm Reason: grammar
Old Oct 17, 2014, 3:31 am

I hope they will also fix the problem of OLCI for U.S. citizens living abroad who are being denied OLCI due to the absence of an ESTA and/or who are denied OLCI when returning to their residence abroad on a roundtrip itinerary because they cannot give a date of return to the U.S.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 10:04 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold
If I understand correctly returning GC holders used to be able to do the OLCI but at some point in time Delta changed its system to make this impossible. Seems to me that they would have had to have consciously altered the programming to remove this function if it were there in the first place. Surely a programmer knew what existed in the then current software and knows what is different about the new software.
Old Oct 17, 2014, 10:11 am
Original Poster

I've personally never been able to enter my green card # at OLCI on Delta.com.

I suspect the few people who say they did were confused by the fact they were sent to AirFrance-KLM's website for flights departing from CDG or AMS (AF-KL handles check in operations even for DL metal out of CDG and AMS and they do have a working OLCI for Green Card holders.)

Originally Posted by burbanite
If I understand correctly returning GC holders used to be able to do the OLCI but at some point in time Delta changed its system to make this impossible. Seems to me that they would have had to have consciously altered the programming to remove this function if it were there in the first place. Surely a programmer knew what existed in the then current software and knows what is different about the new software.
Old Nov 20, 2014, 11:56 am

Programs: DL DM, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Cortina Airlines
The web support supervisor I spoke to yesterday called me back today and provided me with the following information:

- The website is not ready for Green Cards holders; therefore there is no point trying to check in online when you're returning to the United States from abroad (except if you're checking via a third-party airline like Air France-KLM out of CDG or AMS.)

- Web support reps will have access to a memo informing them about the problem so they don't waste time anymore trying to fix what simply can't be fixed.

- It seems that Delta is aware of the problem and has made the decision to fix it. A new version of Online Check In should be launched late 2014 or early 2015 and allow Green Card holders to check in online. THIS is the big news!

He also confirmed that numerous complaints were received. I suggest we keep a friendly yet firm pressure on Delta for them to fix this problem ASAP. Until then, I appreciate the clarification, acknowledgment of the issue, and will to fix it.
Thought I would add my latest experience as an update.

Last month I was able to OLCI on a VS operated DL flight LHR-LAX, no problems.

This month no OLCI on a DL operated flight LHR-LAX.

Now, knowing this was going to be an issue, I tried anyway just to get the latest info for when I called. The CS rep I spoke to had no idea but he told me to put in a return date, (which I did also knowing that it wouldn't work), and at that point he was stumped and apologized saying there was nothing he could do.

Sent of a tweet to @DeltaAssist. They gave me a number to the Online Support Team which turned out to be incorrect but was transferred over only to to be told that he had never heard of this and could find no record of other complaints...his inference was that us GC holders just had to put up with it and it seemed like he had no interest in taking it further.

@DeltaAssist came back to me to see if I had any joy to which I replied that I hadn't, they then suggested I contact Customer Care and gave me a link, I replied that I had already done this.

Went to T3 at LHR and was directed to the VS UC check in desk instead of the DL Priority line. Handed over my docs and told the VS GA that I would have done the OLCI but DL won't allow me to do it. She told me that she was very familiar with the problem and that it seemed like DL didn't care to fix it. She explained that she needed to get out of her "system" and get into another one and that she would be able to get me taken care of.

Interesting how I talked to multiple people at DL who had no clue but it only required one person at another airline to be able to tell me that the issue does exist and that they are aware of it...

Reply from Customer Care:

Subject: Re: OCSD-Check-In-General Check-in

Dear Mr. *****,

RE: Case Number 14231062

Thank you for your email to Delta Air Lines.

I apologize that you will not be able to check in online for travel.
Please know we have sent your comments to our delta.com team for review.

Thank you for your support as a Platinum Medallion member and for
trusting your business to us. Be assured, we will make every attempt to
serve you well; we are focused on the future and look forward to our
continued business relationship.

Sincerely,

M. G.
Medallion Desk
Old Nov 20, 2014, 2:31 pm
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
As I mentioned at the beginning of the thread, I never had an issue with OLCI when traveling using a U.S. Visa. Now things have changed OLCI Asks for the U.S. Departure date, which most of the time is the same arrival date. Delta tells me that there's an issue with the departure date and won't let me continue with the process. If I try to start from scratch, it sends me directly to the "Sorry, please check-in with an agent" message.
Old Dec 12, 2014, 6:10 am

Just adding my voice of annoyance at this shortcoming of Delta's system. I am LPR, and despite the OLCI allowing me to select country of residence as USA, it seems to ignore this answer and considers me to be a tourist needing a visa waiver. (This is for a flight from LHR to the US.)
Old Feb 7, 2015, 3:42 am

It still doesn't work

Tried today, despite the promise of updating the online check-in system end-of-2014/early 2015, the situation is still the same...unable to check-in. As suggested, I've sent a message to Delta.com:
Over the past few months I have systematically been unable to check in online for flights to the United States originating in foreign countries. I am a lawful permanent resident of the United States and unfortunately, delta.com doesn’t allow me to enter my green card information during the check in process. After verification with the online support desk, it seems that the website is lacking this function, making it impossible for green card holders to obtain a boarding pass online. Moreover, there is a lack of training of phone agents who are unaware of this problem and wasted my and their precious time investigating my account in vain to try to solve the problem. There are 13 millions green card holders in the USA and there are more likely to travel internationally than anybody else. Other airlines like Air France-KLM have fields to enter green card information during the online check in process and allow customers to obtain a boarding pass (ironically, this works seamlessly for Delta operated flights out of CDG and AMS.) American Airlines also allows green card holders to enter their green card information in their profile. Please, escalate this complaint to both corporate and technical departments. It is urgent that web designers add the necessary modules in order to allow green card holders to check in online when returning to the United States from abroad. Thank you.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 9:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, BA Bronze, Various Hotels
Originally Posted by simoboni
Tried today, despite the promise of updating the online check-in system end-of-2014/early 2015, the situation is still the same...unable to check-in. As suggested, I've sent a message to Delta.com:
Over the past few months I have systematically been unable to check in online for flights to the United States originating in foreign countries. I am a lawful permanent resident of the United States and unfortunately, delta.com doesn’t allow me to enter my green card information during the check in process. After verification with the online support desk, it seems that the website is lacking this function, making it impossible for green card holders to obtain a boarding pass online. Moreover, there is a lack of training of phone agents who are unaware of this problem and wasted my and their precious time investigating my account in vain to try to solve the problem. There are 13 millions green card holders in the USA and there are more likely to travel internationally than anybody else. Other airlines like Air France-KLM have fields to enter green card information during the online check in process and allow customers to obtain a boarding pass (ironically, this works seamlessly for Delta operated flights out of CDG and AMS.) American Airlines also allows green card holders to enter their green card information in their profile. Please, escalate this complaint to both corporate and technical departments. It is urgent that web designers add the necessary modules in order to allow green card holders to check in online when returning to the United States from abroad. Thank you.
This is not exclusive to US green card holders; same for US citizens living abroad.
Old Feb 7, 2015, 10:23 am
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PPro/DL PLT, PPass, Marriott / Hilton Gold, JetBlue Mosaic, Hertz Presidents Circle, Amex Plat
Originally Posted by rwoman
This is not exclusive to US green card holders; same for US citizens living abroad.
Or visa holders transiting through the US
Old Feb 7, 2015, 12:36 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Originally Posted by rwoman
Ditto for US citizens returning from a brief vacation. Checking in online (and often airport kiosk) from anywhere overseas rarely works for me.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 9:40 am

Programs: DL (NW) Silver, UA (CO), AA, AC
Problem still persists today, in this case flying Canada -> US.

So I wonder what DL considers "early 2015".

In contrast, in the past few months we have been able to OLCI with UA and AS without any problems.

It is interesting and telling that the various DL reps we've all spoken to have no clue of the issue (and many will not even acknowledge that it is a problem). However, the counter agent in Brussels was very familiar with the issue and apologized profusely.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 12:21 pm

Programs: AS, DL, UA, Hyatt, SPG
Originally Posted by DBruce49

In contrast, in the past few months we have been able to OLCI with UA and AS without any problems.

It is interesting and telling that the various DL reps we've all spoken to have no clue of the issue (and many will not even acknowledge that it is a problem). However, the counter agent in Brussels was very familiar with the issue and apologized profusely.
Same for Canada -> US if you're Canadian Resident, but not a citizen. There is a workaround (check in as Canadian citizen, then change/update to using overseas passport at check-in kiosk or gate) but I'm sure it's not advisable to do this.
Old Apr 6, 2015, 5:31 pm

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by DBruce49

Delta has a long and proud tradition in lying about what its untalented IT staff is capable of doing. Slippery Jeff told everyone in 2008 that "the award calendar was tricky to use" but that DL was working on it. I'd posit that, when they are not unloading baggage, DL's crack code-writers will eventually get around to fixing this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.