Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Delta Adding New Routes from Seattle

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2014, 1:33 pm

Programs: DL Silver
Originally Posted by steveholt
Is it weird that DL would announce this ten months in advance of most of the new service beginning?

Yes, it is weird.

Delta did the same thing when they announced the SEA-PDX flights --- those were announced last fall and they are STILL seven months away from beginning (the first week of September).

The number of people booked for a September DL SEA-PDX flight at this point is likely VERY minimal. Similarly, the number of people booking a DL SEA-PHX flight will remain minimal all the way through next fall.

This does give Delta the ability to quietly "yank" these flights come, say, mid-summer, if either (a) their strategy changes or (b) it appears the flights won't be very successful (perhaps due to action by others, including Alaska).
Old Feb 10, 2014, 2:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by NittanyLion
Yes, it is weird.

Delta did the same thing when they announced the SEA-PDX flights --- those were announced last fall and they are STILL seven months away from beginning (the first week of September).

The number of people booked for a September DL SEA-PDX flight at this point is likely VERY minimal. Similarly, the number of people booking a DL SEA-PHX flight will remain minimal all the way through next fall.

This does give Delta the ability to quietly "yank" these flights come, say, mid-summer, if either (a) their strategy changes or (b) it appears the flights won't be very successful (perhaps due to action by others, including Alaska).
Any SEA flights on the schedule that were bookable before the end of the year might have some seats taken by people wanting to take advantage of the extra miles promo for SEA flights. Tickets needed to be purchased by the end of 2013 with IIRC travel completed by the end of 2014.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 2:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by technole
*cue the DL is making AS mad, going to run to AA sheep*
This really isn't much of a secret. AS strongly hinted (I believe in their December 2013 investor call) about a drawdown in partnership with DL and increasing their AA partnership in 2014.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 2:16 pm

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
On the question about transcon routes, I wouldn't bet on Delta adding any transcon service out of SEA. Delta isn't trying to run their whole network through SEA. This is a play to get western international feed. SLC has limited international service, so people flying from, say, Denver and west would have a very circuitous routing to fly Delta to Asia. This is a play to get more western US passengers heading to Asia. They don't want to connect Orlando (or Boston, for that matter) with Beijing via Seattle (that's what Detroit is for) or Shanghai (Again, DTW or ATL/MSP/JFK via NRT). This is all about picking up passengers from the western US who otherwise can choose between UA or maybe AA.

As for gates, there's been a lot of talk that Delta will get a big chunk of A and/or A will be expanded toward the hangers. Nothing is official, but if Delta is truly in Seattle for the long-haul (pun not intended), then expanding on A would make sense. They can operate international flights out of S and domestic out of A. Plus, there's already the Port's plan to add an international arrivals facility at A that has been announced.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 2:16 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Le Club Accorhotels Platinum, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by jrkmsp
PHX is no surprise, and the only big announcement here.
It is a bit surprising to me as adding 5 flights a day to a route that already has 10 nonstop flights (5 by AS and 5 by US) daily seems like a risky start. But yes, they have time to see how the sales will be and adjust the frequency.

Nice to see the seasonal JAC in the list. By the way, it's not starting next winter but effective immediately. I see a flight on Feb. 15 operated with CRJ-700.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 2:31 pm
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by VladQ
It is a bit surprising to me as adding 5 flights a day to a route that already has 10 nonstop flights (5 by AS and 5 by US) daily seems like a risky start.
You forgot WN with 3-4 non-stops a day each-way. Even if DL wants to feed its flights to Hawaii, Asia, and Alaska, they don't need five non-stops a day to do that. This strikes me as the kind of expansion that ultimately just bleed the legacies of cash and got them to where they were not that long ago, in bankruptcy.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 3:03 pm

I think Southwest and US Airways will take a hit on the PHX-SEA routes the most and we will likely see reductions from both of those airlines on this route.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 3:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: DM
Originally Posted by cmd320
This really isn't much of a secret. AS strongly hinted (I believe in their December 2013 investor call) about a drawdown in partnership with DL and increasing their AA partnership in 2014.
Link?
Old Feb 10, 2014, 3:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by technole
I guess they really don't want to make AS too mad with BOI after their preemptive strike of added frequency.
Nah, you don't have worry about Alaska anymore. Forget it, bud! Move on. They won't be upset with Delta again. You can't be afraid.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 3:34 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Originally Posted by steveholt
Is it weird that DL would announce this ten months in advance of most of the new service beginning?
Not weird. This is an elaborate game of signalling that is taking place between the two airlines. Delta started out small, announcing service to a couple of major cities. Then they went after some AS bread-and-butter, including PDX and ANC. Meanwhile, AS responded pretty weakly, adding a few frequencies between SLC and AS focus cities. Now DL is announcing some much smaller markets - and filling a hole from earlier announcements in PHX.

There is a long lead time between announcing and launching because there is far more value (for now) in sending the signal and reading the reply.

All in all, this is continued bad news for SEA-based DL elites. As I have stated elsewhere, the old status quo was very good for us. We could earn our status by flying on a huge network of DL international and DL/AS domestic. We get a pretty good upgrade route on AS metal. We enjoy free (DM) access to the AS Boardroom. And most importantly, we have a reasonable domestic redemption option for our Skymiles. (I have very few redemptions, int'l or domestic, that don't include at least one AS segment, at least at the initial time of booking.) This equilibrium is good. I fear any behavior from either side which threatens this relationship. Any change from status quo is sure to be bad for SEA-based DL DMs.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 3:51 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by cmd320
They can try to run to AA, but there is no logical synergy with AA like there is with DL. DL at least gives them long-haul feed into their established domestic network. AA gives them pretty much nothing. Out of SEA, for example, AA/US and AS compete to ORD, DFW, PHX, and PHL. All they bring are CLT and MIA and JFK, with the latter two at least partly competing with AS service to FLL and EWR, respectively. Aside from the codeshare with BA, AA provides no logical outlet for what AS can bring to the table - feed from PNW destinations to markets AS can't and won't serve anytime in the near future.

Besides, why wouldn't AA do to AS exactly what DL does when and if AA reaches some semblance of sustained profitability? Why would they keep their hands off the SEA and PDX pies?

Honestly, I think AS is in serious trouble no matter who they try to get into bed with. They can't compete beyond a regional level with the big boys. And it hasn't gone unnoticed that there is money to be made in their stomping grounds. Yeah, I doubt anyone is that eager to wade into Alaska, but SEA and PDX? AS is facing something they have never had to deal with before - well-financed and well-run competition in key markets. Frankly, I think there is a bit of blood in the water around AS right now and you are seeing not just DL at SEA flexing their muscle, but WN at SAN, too. Maybe AS will pull a rabbit out of their hat, and I wish them the best, but I wouldn't be taking too many long positions on them at this point.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 4:11 pm

Programs: DL-DM/1MM, HILTON-DIA, .HYATT-DIA/GLOB , IHG-PLT,HERTZ 5*, NATIONAL ES
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
Interesting but not surprising. I'll be curious to see if and when DL starts adding more trasncons to SEA from places like PHL, PIT, MCO, MIA and so forth. Personally I'd like to see ORD-SEA but I'm not holding my breath.

At what point does DL run out of gates for expansion in SEA?
I would love to see SEA-MCO, But I think that is doubtful. ...
Old Feb 10, 2014, 4:13 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
I would love to see SEA-MCO, But I yhink that is doubtful. ...
The 900ER can make it.

I know how DL FTers LOVE that plane!
Old Feb 10, 2014, 4:16 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Crazyhotelguy
I would love to see SEA-MCO, But I think that is doubtful. ...
I could think of at least a half-dozen flights they would add before SEA-MCO.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 4:18 pm

Programs: DL DM 3 MM AA PLAT HH Lifetime Diamond Marriott Plat AMB lifetime titanium Hertz PC
Originally Posted by Beckles
This strikes me as the kind of expansion that ultimately just bleed the legacies of cash and got them to where they were not that long ago, in bankruptcy.
I tend to agree with all the flights to PHX are they going to bring back the club?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.