Delta Adding New Routes from Seattle

Old Feb 10, 2014, 10:55 am
used to be 'Flyfarfar'
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA, SPG, MR, HGP, IHG
Delta Adding New Routes from Seattle

Delta Adding New Routes from Seattle to Palm Springs, Phoenix, Tucson, Jackson Hole

Delta's new Seattle service beginning Dec. 20, 2014 includes:

Five daily flights to Phoenix
One daily seasonal flight to Palm Springs, Calif.
Saturday seasonal service to Tucson, Ariz.
Saturday seasonal service to Jackson Hole, Wyo.
One additional nonstop flight to Honolulu for a total of two daily flights

Expanded seasonal service beginning in September includes:

One new daily nonstop flight to Anchorage, Alaska for a total of two daily flights in September and three daily flights during the summer

Another stab in the back to Alaska?
Old Feb 10, 2014, 11:03 am

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others
Is it weird that DL would announce this ten months in advance of most of the new service beginning?
Old Feb 10, 2014, 11:03 am

Programs: Delta PM, Hyatt Discoverist, Hertz PC
PHX is no surprise, and the only big announcement here.

Another HNL flight is interesting, but not too surprising, especially as they switch flying from 763s to 753s as they start to retire the domestic 767s.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 11:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
YAY!!! I just wanting to go to SEA to visit Boeing. Way to go, Delta!!

Kuds to Delta!!! ^^^
Old Feb 10, 2014, 11:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by The Weekly Flyer
Another stab in the back to Alaska?
If AS doesn't like competition, they should exit the game.

The seasonal stuff is nothing, but the PHX flights fill an obvious hole in feeding their TPAC flights. HNL is nice enough, I guess.

Agree with steveholt that it seems kind of far in advance for an announcement.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 11:28 am
Suspended

Sounds fancy to add all those routes, but where does DL get the aircraft from? Old routes being axed? New aircraft on order to be delivered by December 19, 2014? Unpark aircraft from some desert?
Old Feb 10, 2014, 11:42 am
Original Member and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM/MM, AA ExPlat, Hyatt Glob, HH Dia, National ECE, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
Sounds fancy to add all those routes, but where does DL get the aircraft from? Old routes being axed? New aircraft on order to be delivered by December 19, 2014? Unpark aircraft from some desert?
In the grand scheme of Delta's schedule of thousands of daily flights figuring out how to schedule eight more flights a day ten months out is a trivial manner for those who get paid to do such things ... many more flights will be dropped ... and added before these changes take place.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 11:42 am

Programs: DL DM, HH Devalued Diamond, Hertz President's Club
Seems to be more signs of the AS partnership disolving. Also smells like it is not a situation where DL will acquire AS since they are adding new routes vs. assuming routes.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 11:47 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Beckles
In the grand scheme of Delta's schedule of thousands of daily flights figuring out how to schedule eight more flights a day ten months out is a trivial manner for those who get paid to do such things ... many more flights will be dropped ... and added before these changes take place.
Not if your scheduling margin is <1%.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 12:09 pm

Programs: DL PM, Bonvoy Plat, Hertz PC
This announcement will help SEA-based fliers deciding whether to stick with DL or switch to AS. Since AS offers many more direct flights out of SEA than DL, I've been tempted to jump ship many times. If DL is going to continue adding service in SEA then I am leaning towards staying the course. So far the DL-AS rivalry has meant a drop in fares and increased service so I'm definitely not complaining. Announcements like this remind SEA-based fliers that DL is serious about increasing their presence here.

The marketing campaign has also been vigorous. Both are frequently taking radio spots. They also competed for the Seahawks endorsement: DL is the official airline of Seahawks, while AS is endorsed by quarterback Russell Wilson. The rivalry continues...
Old Feb 10, 2014, 12:15 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, AA EXP, SPG Platinum, Hyatt Platinum, Marriott Platinum
Interesting but not surprising. I'll be curious to see if and when DL starts adding more trasncons to SEA from places like PHL, PIT, MCO, MIA and so forth. Personally I'd like to see ORD-SEA but I'm not holding my breath.

At what point does DL run out of gates for expansion in SEA?
Old Feb 10, 2014, 12:17 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
The Saturday flights can pull aircraft from routes flown with less frequency on Saturday. That part should be easy.

More generally, DL should be able to shift aircraft around a bit to utilize them more fully, including adjustments in other schedules if needed.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 12:21 pm

Programs: Delta, Avios, Chase
How nice for Seattle. Would be great to get a NYC - PSP flight (Fri / Sat) during the winter...
Old Feb 10, 2014, 1:22 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Marriott Titanium, UA Silver
Originally Posted by SOBE ER DOC
At what point does DL run out of gates for expansion in SEA?
S seems to be maxed and DL is using A/B for overflow flights. DL can probably get the US gates after consolidation, but that could be a couple of years. UA could drop a gate or 2, but they've already undergone some consolidation.

I wouldn't be surprised if we saw DL busing pax. to the cargo ramp by the end of the year.
Old Feb 10, 2014, 1:30 pm

Programs: DL Platinum, Hilton Diamond VIP, Marriott Platinum
There is still room in A for DL's flights.

Great adds, especially PHX. Can finally tell US to shove it. DL might as well re-add NW's 753 to OGG again.

Still waiting for the short-hauls to GEG, BOI, and EUG. I guess they really don't want to make AS too mad with BOI after their preemptive strike of added frequency.

*cue the DL is making AS mad, going to run to AA sheep*

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.