Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What date will AS and DL announce that their partnership will end?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What date will AS and DL announce that their partnership will end?

Search this Thread

Old May 29, 2015, 3:07 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
One positive is that I can get to Seattle for next to nothing.
Amazing, right?

I am just outright buying F for most of my SEA (ex-SFO) flights.

Have never (8 years) seen lower pricing this consistently.
Old May 29, 2015, 3:25 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Originally Posted by kop84
I almost wonder if DL is just trying to get AS to over-extend itself. AS keeps adding routes and I wonder where they are getting all of these planes? Because it's not like you can call Boeing and have a new 737 delivered next month.
AS has quite a few orders on the books and keeps extending leases on some aircraft they expected to return.

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/abo...spx#fleet-plan

http://boeing.mediaroom.com/2014-10-...ion-737-900ERs

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/cus...tion-737s.page

And just this year:
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300037465.html

Originally Posted by alaskaair.com/newsroom
The airline took delivery of 10 737-900ERs in 2014. The airline also has firm commitments for 78 B737 aircraft with options to acquire up to 46 additional B737 aircraft.
Yes some of these aircraft are meant for replacing older models like the 734 and cover the conversion of 73G to freighters, but AS holds the potential to nearly double its fleet with current orders on hand.
Old May 29, 2015, 6:55 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by beckoa
AS has quite a few orders on the books and keeps extending leases on some aircraft they expected to return.

http://www.alaskaair.com/content/abo...spx#fleet-plan

http://boeing.mediaroom.com/2014-10-...ion-737-900ERs

http://www.boeing.com/commercial/cus...tion-737s.page

And just this year:
http://www.prnewswire.com/news-relea...300037465.html

Yes some of these aircraft are meant for replacing older models like the 734 and cover the conversion of 73G to freighters, but AS holds the potential to nearly double its fleet with current orders on hand.
If AS really wanted to mess with DL, they should place an order for 10 777's for some future delivery date. (cancel-able or convertible to 737's)

Why have they never (or have they) tried Asia flights? Just has not fit their model?
Old May 29, 2015, 7:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Why have they never (or have they) tried Asia flights? Just has not fit their model?
Because their partners provide feed and AS loves to make money that way?
No need to pick a fight with the big boys (CX, EK, KE).
Old Jun 5, 2015, 1:05 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
My wife (a DL PM) had to travel for work to SEA this week; her travel department required her to go on AS. When she got to DCA, the AS staff wouldn't put her on the upgrade list, and in fact told her that DL PMs were not eligible for upgrades on AS. They then charged her $25 to check her suitcase.

On the way home this morning, she got upgraded at SEA (no word on whether she had to pay for a checked bag).

Another anecdote--I looked at the AS website this morning, and there were no Delta codeshares among the flights one could book; only AA codeshares.
Old Jun 5, 2015, 1:16 pm
Suspended

Gonna terminate this mudsling show 00:00:01 1/1/2016?
Old Jun 5, 2015, 1:28 pm

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, HH Diamond, DL Diamond and 1MM
Skymiles Awards on AS are Safe

Originally Posted by HornsKeith
... if you hold an award ticket for AS and your flight will be after the partnership ends? I'm planning an award trip to Hawaii for sometime next year, and AS flights from Seattle are often some of the lowest award methods to get there.
Skymiles awards on AS flights are not going to be canceled after ticketing regardless of what happens to the partnership. For example, I flew first class on Singapore Airlines using Skymiles ten months after Delta stopped ticketing award flights on them.

AS is not going to stop flying to Hawaii, but if they did, Delta would re-ticket your award onto a Delta flight.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 3:41 pm

Programs: DL Pork Medallion, PP, GE
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
I don't know if it'll be quite that soon. But a source of mine says that it definitely will end, presumably the whole FF mile crediting, codesharing, everything. Not a surprise in the slightest, but they say it is coming soon. Of course, I'm taking it with a huge grain of salt, as it's likely just water cooler talk. But the employees are aware of the huge skymiles changes, have been advised that there may likely be droves of unhappy passengers, and that the AS-DL partnership is going to absolutely come to an end.

So my guess is next summer, when the new mile redemption policy takes effect, or thereabouts.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 4:06 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

AS & AA did have a big announcement today.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 9:20 pm
Original Poster

Wirelessly posted (beckoa's BB: Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9810; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.694 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

AS & AA did have a big announcement today.
I don't know if I would call it big...

1) US Airways flights now bookable via AS (post 10/17) - A no brainer, just needed AA to get their technology aligned

2) Access to all AC's (instead of just three. ("gives Board Room members access to all 54 Admirals Club locations worldwide beginning Aug. 15.")

I am not an AS elite - maybe this is bigger news than I realize?

I did find this interesting: "The two carriers are working to expand their codeshare agreement even further later this year."

And from the AS Blog : "Alaska’s other partners include Cathay Pacific, British Airways, Air France/KLM, Fiji Airways, and Emirates, among others."

DL is now 'among others'...
Old Aug 7, 2015, 3:20 am

Originally Posted by LarkSFO
I don't know if I would call it big...
Well they made a bit of a ruckus over it

Having all AA flights earning miles/ redeemable mid October was expected.

I guess the bigger piece of the pie IMO is having Admirals Club access, as DL Skyclub access has been enhanced to reduce admission for AS BR members.
Old Aug 7, 2015, 7:17 am

Programs: DL DM 1.929MM, Hilton Lifetime Diamond, IHG Platinum, Avis CHM, Marriott Titanium (lifetime gold)
I guess the bigger piece of the pie IMO is having Admirals Club access, as DL Skyclub access has been enhanced to reduce admission for AS BR members.
I don't understand what you mean unless you are referring to the SC guest policy, which has been generally applied to everybody and not just AS.

SC access requires a same day travel ticket on AS or DL. Admirals Club access also requires a same day travel ticket on AS, US, or AA.

Admirals Club access is a big plus for BR members, though.

David
Old Aug 7, 2015, 7:26 am
In memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DM life is over 2MM PM now & NW MillionAir Wyndham Rewards Plat -Hotels.com Silver -Accor Silver
DL Skyclub access has been enhanced to reduce admission for AS BR members.
What about the reverse?!?

Can DL SkyClub members still use the AS BRs?!?
Old Aug 7, 2015, 7:27 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
are you Arnold or something?
Old Aug 7, 2015, 7:31 am
Suspended

Programs: Delta skymiles DM + 1MM
if AS and AA really wanted to stick the dagger in DL then all that has to be done is the following:

A full fledged, hard core partnership b/t AA and AS

AA starts flying internationally out of SEA.

It would stick the proverbial fork in Delta's master plan at SEA pretty quickly and, there is nothing to really stop AA from starting international service from SEA. I am sure AS would be more then happy to loan them a few of there gates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.