Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What date will AS and DL announce that their partnership will end?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What date will AS and DL announce that their partnership will end?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2013, 11:02 pm

Well after Delta & AS signed an exclusive agreement for feeding the long-haul flights, AS used this as a benchmark to sign a similar agreement with AA covering routes ex-LAX.

AS then started adding flights to ATL, SLC , and MSP.
Then AS allowed FFers to get full miles on BA, QF, KE, and CX.
Now, we see 6 additional routes from SLC.

In other words, it seems AS hasn't been true to the Delta cause in SEA.
They favor an open relationship with all partners esp AA.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 12:06 am
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
I would say no earlier than Dec 31, 2015.

Alaska has cause to be careful here. Make no mistake about it; Delta is building its own hub in SEA. Break the partnership agreement and Delta has every incentive to break the Alaska monopoly on year-round Alaska-Lower 48 service and start up year round service to at least ANC, FAI and JNU. One of the main reasons Alaska is so profitable isn't that they fly routes like LAX-PVR or SFO-PSP -- it's that they have a stranglehold on year round service to the lower 48 and what amounts to a monopoly on service within Alaska. It would not take all that much for a carrier the size of Delta to throw some airplanes into the big intra-Alaska routes and establish some competition there as well.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 8:27 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by us2
I would say no earlier than Dec 31, 2015.

Alaska has cause to be careful here. Make no mistake about it; Delta is building its own hub in SEA. Break the partnership agreement and Delta has every incentive to break the Alaska monopoly on year-round Alaska-Lower 48 service and start up year round service to at least ANC, FAI and JNU. One of the main reasons Alaska is so profitable isn't that they fly routes like LAX-PVR or SFO-PSP -- it's that they have a stranglehold on year round service to the lower 48 and what amounts to a monopoly on service within Alaska. It would not take all that much for a carrier the size of Delta to throw some airplanes into the big intra-Alaska routes and establish some competition there as well.
JetBlue flies ANC-SEA/LGB.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 9:39 am

I agree! I live in YVR and it will be interesting to see what their extra service does to the fares, fleets, and times for competition flights. While some fares are posted now, they're more expensive than AS. Personally, I'd rather build up miles on AS than Delta.
AS is really taking it all ways, especially with the potential hike of minimum wage in SEATAC city.
Originally Posted by andymo99
I so wish you were right. But I think you misunderstand the meaning of DL attacking Alaska's bread-and-butter routes from SEA such as SFO, LAX, LAS, SAN, YVR, FAI, and PDX. Any single one of these routes would have been a punch in the gut to AS. ALL of them is a declaration of war.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 10:19 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by yvrmajl
Personally, I'd rather build up miles on AS than Delta.
As long as Skymiles are grossly inferior to AS MileagePlan miles, AS has nothing to fear from DL.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 10:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
March 1, 2015.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 10:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Jaimito Cartero
March 1, 2015.
February 30, 2015.
Old Dec 17, 2013, 12:31 pm
us2
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by dieuwer2
JetBlue flies ANC-SEA/LGB.
I don't think that's year round. ANC-SEA today per flightaware consists of 13 flights -- 11 AS and 2 UA. Like I said, AS has a stranglehold on the year round market to the lower 48. The UA flights, frankly, surprised me. I didn't know they existed.
Old Dec 18, 2013, 10:06 pm

Programs: DL Plat, UA 1K
As long as Skymiles are grossly inferior to AS MileagePlan miles, AS has nothing to fear from DL.
Just remember...to many of us, miles are not everything....
Old Dec 18, 2013, 10:58 pm

Programs: alaska 75k MVP Gold, United 1k, SPG Plat
There's an interesting discussion/blog posts happening over on upgrd.com about Alaska the the possibility of joining an Alliance. I think Rocky aka DoubleWidesFly has a better idea of what is happening then his counter park Matt on Live & lets fly, but both are good articles to read.

Matt's post: Star Alliance should Persue Alaska Air

Rocky's Rebuttle: Alaska Airlines: StarAlliance No - OneWorld maybe

Clearly if AA did go after an alliance membership their end date would be a lot earlier with DL than what any of us could guess

Last edited by FrequentlyFlyingFirst; Dec 19, 2013 at 8:22 am
Old Dec 19, 2013, 6:32 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FrequentlyFlyingFirst
There's an interesting discussion/blog posts happening over on upgrd.com about Alaska the the possibility of joining an Alliance. I think Rocky aka DoubleWidesFly has a better idea of what is happening then his counter park Matt on Live & lets fly, but both are good articles to read.

Matt's post: Star Alliance should Persue Alaska Air

Rocky's Rebuttle: [URL="http://bit.ly/1dnC5PH"]Alaska Airlines: StarAlliance No - OneWorld maybe[/URL

Clearly if AA did go after an alliance membership their end date would be a lot earlier with DL than what any of us could guess
What's this obsession with AS joining an alliance.
JetBlue and SouthWest are doing fine without. So can AS.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 7:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH gold
February 30, 2015.
I'm willing to bet good money that 2/30/15 isn't the date.

I'll take 2/28/2015.
Old Dec 19, 2013, 8:03 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by Zomba

I'll take 2/28/2015.
You missed my smiley (*hint*)
Old Dec 19, 2013, 8:24 am

Programs: alaska 75k MVP Gold, United 1k, SPG Plat
What's this obsession with AS joining an alliance.
JetBlue and SouthWest are doing fine without. So can AS.
i don't think they will. I think people just assume that's the next move for all airlines. I think the post done by rocky
is more clearly about what Alaska should do and is more to point out that Alaska doesn't need to join an alliance...
Old Dec 19, 2013, 8:28 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by Zomba

I'll take 2/28/2015.
Why not 2/29/2015?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.