Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What date will AS and DL announce that their partnership will end?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What date will AS and DL announce that their partnership will end?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2015, 8:44 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by doglover
Are those using mileage examples above using actual flying miles or airline mileage miles? flights from lax to nrt take more than an hour longer on average than sea to nrt.

There are a few factors here. Extra time taxiing for takeoff burning fuel at LAX. And obeying ETOPS regulations. Delta advertises 11 hours for the one way flight from lax, while other competitors advertise 11:30-40. (AA,SG,UA). Conversely Delta advertises 10 hours from SEA and ANA 10:20. Either way those hours add up. Fuel & Crew costs.
I, at least, am just using great circle mileage. Unless there was something specific to a route (e.g. avoiding a particular stretch of airspace) that greatly impacts one route and not the other, I don't think it should matter to any material degree. What matters is the relative length of the flights in question.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 8:52 am

Programs: DL Diamond, ANA Platinum
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Why was SEA (as a TPAC hub) ignored for so long?
It's the only choice left for DL without encountering too much competition. Even then, Seattle isn't exactly 100% reliable, the embarrassing relinquishment of SEA-HND being proof of that. But it's still a better competitive choice than joining the fray at SFO or the bloodbath at LAX.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 10:38 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by FireEmblemPride
It's the only choice left for DL without encountering too much competition. Even then, Seattle isn't exactly 100% reliable, the embarrassing relinquishment of SEA-HND being proof of that. But it's still a better competitive choice than joining the fray at SFO or the bloodbath at LAX.
There is another city left that nobody seems to think about: PDX.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 11:02 am
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
Wonder what the market is like in PDX vs SEA for O/D and connections? A quick look has the SEA MSA at 3.6mm people whereas the PDX MSA is 2.2mm. SEA also has a strong business landscape with many multi-national firms represented that PDX seems to lack.

Don't forget - Delta had a TPAC hub in PDX for a number of years.
http://upgrd.com/aerospace/de-portland.html IIRC, de-Portland was a term coined to represent CBP's frequency of denying admittance to the United States.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 11:57 am
Suspended

I'm sure people think about it. The problem, of course, is that when you do think about it you realize it is no better than the 4th or 5th best option, if that.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 12:03 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by pbarnette
I'm sure people think about it. The problem, of course, is that when you do think about it you realize it is no better than the 4th or 5th best option, if that.
Looks like the problem with PDX is the "hinterland". Not many large international businesses in the PDX area, unlike SEA (Microsoft, Boeing, etc.).
Old Aug 10, 2015, 12:18 pm

Looks like the problem with PDX is the "hinterland". Not many large international businesses in the PDX area, unlike SEA (Microsoft, Boeing, etc.).
Additionally, the gate situation here isn't much better than Seattle with just 6 international gates and limited expansion possibilities due to the midfield terminal and crosswind runway.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 12:47 pm
Suspended

The international businesses, yes, but also the relatively small metro area. You can make the case for SEA over LAX because of the improved routing efficiencies and the fleet flexibility it affords, but if you are comparing SEA to PDX it is an absolute no-brainer.

All factors taken together, though, there isn't any doubt to my mind that SFO was the optimal choice, but UA staked their claim and SEA is the next best option. AA is the one really left out.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 12:57 pm
Original Poster

Not new news, but...

http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/n...-airlines.html

"
Alaska Airlines (NYSE: ALK) took a step away from longtime-partner Delta Air Lines (NYSE: DAL) Wednesday by announcing a new frequent-flyer pact with China’s Hainan Airlines.
The new frequent flyer exchange adds a third way people can generate Alaska Airlines miles by flying to Asia aboard foreign carriers. Alaska members can also collect miles on flights from Seattle operated by Korean Air and Emirates.
"

"
“This reduces Alaska’s dependence on Delta as a mileage partner,” Danishek said. “We assume that the Alaska-Delta mileage tie-up will eventually fail, perhaps pushed along by this.”
"
Old Aug 10, 2015, 1:14 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
Not new news, but...

http://www.bizjournals.com/seattle/n...-airlines.html

"
Alaska Airlines (NYSE: ALK) took a step away from longtime-partner Delta Air Lines (NYSE: DAL) Wednesday by announcing a new frequent-flyer pact with China’s Hainan Airlines.
The new frequent flyer exchange adds a third way people can generate Alaska Airlines miles by flying to Asia aboard foreign carriers. Alaska members can also collect miles on flights from Seattle operated by Korean Air and Emirates.
"

"
“This reduces Alaska’s dependence on Delta as a mileage partner,” Danishek said. “We assume that the Alaska-Delta mileage tie-up will eventually fail, perhaps pushed along by this.”
"
It makes sense to feed Hainan's SEA and SJC flights.

I really think the second that the contract is done, AS and DL both want out.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 1:19 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
I really think the second that the contract is done, AS and DL both want out.
What's the wait for? If both parties to a contract want out, they can (amicably) dissolve it.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 4:02 pm

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
And Nike doesn't put their people in Biz like MS.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 12:09 pm
Suspended

Just a little over two months left to 2016. When are we gonna hear from DL about their relationship with AS?? I am not interested hearing on Dec 31st that their partnership will terminate Jan 1st.
Old Oct 17, 2015, 12:17 pm

Location: Any of the Following PDX SFO IAH YUL HPN CDG SYD WLG AKL
Programs: AA GLD 1MM, DL DM, UA 1K Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador , Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by doglover
Quote:

And Nike doesn't put their people in Biz like MS.
That is simply not true. I worked there for 5+ years and not once did a single person I know do Europe or Asia in economy regardless of whether it was an analyst or a VP
Old Oct 17, 2015, 12:19 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Just a little over two months left to 2016. When are we gonna hear from DL about their relationship with AS?? I am not interested hearing on Dec 31st that their partnership will terminate Jan 1st.
By all accounts, both sides continue to make money off it. Don't see why it would end.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.