Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

What date will AS and DL announce that their partnership will end?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What date will AS and DL announce that their partnership will end?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 9, 2015, 11:28 am
Suspended

Why was SEA (as a TPAC hub) ignored for so long?
Old Aug 9, 2015, 11:39 am

Programs: Former DL DM and UA 1k, now a J class free agent (UA Gold, AS MVP Gold)
Originally Posted by amanuensis
I'm aware that west coast flyers psychologically do not want to backtrack to SLC for TPAC flights, but if Delta was to again offer Tokyo nonstop from SLC, how would that flight compare in efficiency with SEA and with LAX? What about other Asian and Pacific Rim destinations? SLC's new airport will have a lot of room for additional flights.
SLC-NRT is exactly the same distance as LAX-NRT.

SEA-NRT = 4796
LAX-NRT = 5451
SLC-NRT = 5451

http://www.gcmap.com/mapui?P=nrt-lax,sea-nrt,slc-nrt

SLC has the advantage of more connections than SEA (right now, but obviously that is what Delta is trying to address with their expansion in SEA), but has the disadvantage of being at significantly higher altitude than either LAX or SEA.

Other destinations (such as HKG, ICN, PEK, PVG, etc) - SLC is roughly 100 closer miles than LAX - not a meaningful advantage, and not as significant a factor as the altitude disadvantage.

Last edited by SEA-Flyer; Aug 9, 2015 at 11:45 am
Old Aug 9, 2015, 11:42 am
Suspended

SEA-SYD = 7739
LAX-SYD = 7488

Just 250 miles more. That's nothing.

SEA-BKK = 7459
LAX-BKK = 8270

Winner: SEA. And note how SEA-BKK is shorter than LAX-SYD.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 11:51 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by Dieuwer
Because there weren't any TPAC hubs anywhere until the past 10 years or so. At least not at the scale of SFO or what DL is trying to do at SEA.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 1:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pbarnette
Because there weren't any TPAC hubs anywhere until the past 10 years or so. At least not at the scale of SFO or what DL is trying to do at SEA.
How does Vancouver rank vs. SFO, LAX, and SEA?

SEA-SYD = 7739
LAX-SYD = 7488

Just 250 miles more. That's nothing.

SEA-BKK = 7459
LAX-BKK = 8270

Winner: SEA. And note how SEA-BKK is shorter than LAX-SYD.
Yes, but...

For SEA flyers, or even one stoppers from the greater Pacific Northwest, SEA makes more sense.

Where do you 'draw the lines' in the US to determine whether SEA, LAX, MSP, SLC(?), or even DTW make most sense for your Asian destinations?
Old Aug 9, 2015, 1:45 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
It doesn't have as much O&D as SFO or LAX. It doesn't have the Asian population as SF or LA. Seattle has changed a lot in the past couple decades to the point where it could support a smaller Asian hub. It will never be the size of UA's SFO operation.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 1:46 pm

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
How does Vancouver rank vs. SFO, LAX, and SEA?
Air Canada serves the following TPAC cities from YVR: Beijing, Brisbane (begins June 2016), Hong Kong, Seoul, Shanghai, Sydney, Tokyo–Narita
Old Aug 9, 2015, 2:03 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kjnangre
Air Canada serves the following TPAC cities from YVR: Beijing, Brisbane (begins June 2016), Hong Kong, Seoul, Shanghai, Sydney, Tokyo–Narita
Thank you. I should have done a little legwork myself...

To your list, add:

NZ
Auckland

CA
Beijing

3U (Sichuan)
Chengdu

CZ
Guangzhou

CX
Hong Kong

MU
Kunming KMG (I have never heard of Kunming! Capital of Yunnan Province, China)

PR
Manila

AC
Osaka

KE
Seoul

MU
Shanghai

3U
Shenyang

QF
Sydney

CI and BR
Taipei

NH
Haneda

JL
Narita

And the European network is nearly as strong ex-YVR...

From DL's perspective, trying to fight their way in to this market / SEA, how much of a competitor is Vancouver (YVR) for US based fliers?

I remember taking a look at AC when we flew to SYD (SFO-YVR-SYD), but besides that I don't think I have considered it as an option.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 6:47 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles
I agree that DTW may end up being the biggest loser. Though personally I think Delta should move some of the JFK international flights to Detroit. Not the European ones, but perhaps the flight to South Africa for example.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 7:28 pm

Programs: DL PM 1.5 MM , Hilton Diamond, Marriott Lifetime Plat
Originally Posted by davetravels
What about the reverse?!?

Can DL SkyClub members still use the AS BRs?!?
Yes, at least you still could as of this past Saturday. Had a nice visit in the LAX Boardroom. A nice bonus was that Alan Thicke showed up shortly before I left to go catch my DL flight.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 8:21 pm

Programs: Delta DM/3 MM; Hertz PC; National EE; Amtrak GR; Bonvoy Silver; Via Rail Préférence
Originally Posted by Seabilly
Yes, at least you still could as of this past Saturday. Had a nice visit in the LAX Boardroom. A nice bonus was that Alan Thicke showed up shortly before I left to go catch my DL flight.
Did he try to get you to retain Optima Tax Relief?
Old Aug 9, 2015, 8:46 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cfabar1
I agree that DTW may end up being the biggest loser. Though personally I think Delta should move some of the JFK international flights to Detroit. Not the European ones, but perhaps the flight to South Africa for example.
1) The South Africa flight leaves from ATL, not New York. I don't see that changing.

2) If you look at DL's fleet orders, they are getting aircraft suited to serve Asia from both SEA and the East Coast.

3) If DTW will lose what they have (and have only ever had) - service to the biggest of the biggest destinations - I suspect it will be to New York.

4) The big loser is already known - NRT - which increasingly serves a very, very narrow purpose beyond O/D.
Old Aug 9, 2015, 9:13 pm

Programs: DL PM MM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by pbarnette
1) The South Africa flight leaves from ATL, not New York. I don't see that changing.

2) If you look at DL's fleet orders, they are getting aircraft suited to serve Asia from both SEA and the East Coast.

3) If DTW will lose what they have (and have only ever had) - service to the biggest of the biggest destinations - I suspect it will be to New York.

4) The big loser is already known - NRT - which increasingly serves a very, very narrow purpose beyond O/D.
I don't see JFK replacing DTW. It's much easier to connect at DTW than JFK.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 5:14 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by SJC ORD LDR
I don't see JFK replacing DTW. It's much easier to connect at DTW than JFK.
I don't disagree. But it has long been easier to connect at DTW than at JFK and JFK is still the busiest international airport in the US, while DTW doesn't even sniff the top 10.
Old Aug 10, 2015, 7:58 am

Programs: DL MM Plat, PC&HH Gold
Are those using mileage examples above using actual flying miles or airline mileage miles? flights from lax to nrt take more than an hour longer on average than sea to nrt.

There are a few factors here. Extra time taxiing for takeoff burning fuel at LAX. And obeying ETOPS regulations. Delta advertises 11 hours for the one way flight from lax, while other competitors advertise 11:30-40. (AA,SG,UA). Conversely Delta advertises 10 hours from SEA and ANA 10:20. Either way those hours add up. Fuel & Crew costs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.