Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Club beverage changes confirmed by DL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sky Club beverage changes confirmed by DL

Search this Thread

Old May 7, 2013, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by NapaPatTours
Gordon's is not quite that bad. I'd put it a step above Mohawk. Crystal Palace, IMHO, is at least a full flight a stairs down from there. I can remember buying CP on sale at State for $2.95 a 5th. ...and, even at that price, it wasn't worth it!
Never had Mohawk.

CP is awful. A friend of mine who is ultra cheap drinks it, if I am going to drink I need to enjoy the taste of it. If I had a choice between a drink with CP or a diet coke, I would chose a diet coke.
Old May 7, 2013, 8:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Hiding the beverage in an opaque container and taking it out is, though.
(I have seen this with my own eyes-LAX SC)
That is probably a lot of the reason the LAX SC is no longer Self serve. Once at one of the DTW I witnessed someone go over to the self service bar with an empty water bottle (regular size one not one of the minis they give you in first class) and dump it full of vodka.
Old May 7, 2013, 9:47 am

Programs: The Dastardly Quintet.
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Never had Mohawk.

CP is awful. A friend of mine who is ultra cheap drinks it, if I am going to drink I need to enjoy the taste of it. If I had a choice between a drink with CP or a diet coke, I would chose a diet coke.
Well, to call CP awful is an insult to all the awful brands out there.

I haven't had either since leaving college, but our "premium" dorm room vodka was Mohawk, and our "dig through the cushions for loose change" was CP.

....but that was when they still made Mohawk in Michigan. What's that been, 30 years since the plant closed? (boy, I'm getting old)
Old May 7, 2013, 10:29 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Overheard the bartender and a Gideon manager of sorts talking today at the DFW SkyClub. Sky and Tanquary will soon be out, Gordon's will be in.

Same thing others here have mentioned, just another confirmation.

Should we have a seperate thread for the changes? The woodford thread may be a bit vague as there hasn't been Woodford at most clubs in a long time.

Edited to add: Canadian Club, Bailey's also going away. DFW club is getting rid of bottled beers as well and will have Bud/Bud Light on tap. Changes are expected to happen on May 15th.

Last edited by james318; May 7, 2013 at 10:56 am
Old May 7, 2013, 10:58 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL DM, SPG AMB, National EE
Well, to call CP awful is an insult to all the awful brands out there.

I haven't had either since leaving college, but our "premium" dorm room vodka was Mohawk, and our "dig through the cushions for loose change" was CP.

....but that was when they still made Mohawk in Michigan. What's that been, 30 years since the plant closed? (boy, I'm getting old)
At Indiana we used to buy something we called "blue label" vodka from Osco. It wasn't branded at all - it just had a blue label that said "Vodka". 1.75L in a plastic bottle for some insanely low price. To me there is no difference between that and gordon's.
Old May 7, 2013, 1:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Huh? I guess it never occurred to me to take liquor out on the SC. Perhaps an intervention would be appropriate for those that do this. Obviously, these are not indigents. After all, they can afford access to the SC in the 1st place. That leaves us with either an addiction problem, or compulsive thievery.
Enter on a $25 Amex admission, sneak out with a $15 bottle of hooch, reduces net outlay to $10. (Economics will not be that favorable when the clubs make the switch to Mr. Boston, or whatever the lowest bidder swill becomes.)

Back when ORD still had work cubicles (back when SC management gave a rat's behind about the business traveler), I witnessed someone making use of the relative privacy to pour drinks into a water bottle.

Maybe that's why they got rid of the cubbies.
Old May 7, 2013, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by james318
Overheard the bartender and a Gideon manager of sorts talking today at the DFW SkyClub. Sky and Tanquary will soon be out, Gordon's will be in.

Should we have a seperate thread for the changes? The woodford thread may be a bit vague as there hasn't been Woodford at most clubs in a long time.

Edited to add: Canadian Club, Bailey's also going away. DFW club is getting rid of bottled beers as well and will have Bud/Bud Light on tap. Changes are expected to happen on May 15th.
I'd like to say that this is incredible.

But, knowing the type of people who are making the decisions, it is -- regrettably -- quite credible.

Another example of the DL management bait-and-switch approach... "now that we have your money for next year, listen to how we are going to reduce the value if what you bought."
Old May 8, 2013, 7:02 am

Programs: Delta PM, USA GP, Marriott Gold, SPG Plat, Hyatt Diamond, HH Diamond, Hertz PC, National EE

This ties into what I heard in Atlanta that there is going to be premium beer going forward that will carry a premium charge

Bud Light and Gordons......I think I drank better in college.
Old May 8, 2013, 7:45 am
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Where are friendly Delta folks to dispell this rumor?
Old May 8, 2013, 8:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC

Are you kidding? So DFW SC is going ghetto also? Any replacement for CC or Baileys, or is that going to be the 'generic' white label booze also?
Bud and Bud Light? Thats just insulting. Those shouldn't even be considered beer.

Oh and yes I agree with the comment about Gordons vodka being interchangeable with no-brand liquor. As far as I'm concerned there isn't any discernible difference between Gordons and Bankers Club.
Old May 8, 2013, 8:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
We can keep wishing... but it seems they are only authorized to post when the statement is pre-approved by corporate marketing or a PR.
Old May 8, 2013, 8:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
Same place they are on every change. Hiding until they can find some way to spin it as an enhancement, or else never showing up to mention it at all.
Old May 8, 2013, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Every year, millions of drinks are left partially unconsumed in SkyClubs. Some abuse of the rules prohibiting removal of alcoholic beverages from the Clubs also occurs thereby limiting the availability for others who are in a hurry and do not have time to wait for restocking of inventory. Because of this, Delta is taking proactive measures so that everyone may enjoy their stay, either lengthy or brief, in the SkyClub prior to their flight.

In order to provide a better and more predictable SkyClub experience, Delta is now offering beverage selections that are standardized in all locations. We hope you enjoy the new selection of spirits, beers, wines, and especially our Luxury Bar premium offerings which now have increased differentiation from our standard complimentary selection. In addition, new premium local micro-brews will be offered for purchase, along with pain killers to stave off the inevitable headache if you choose to indulge in our standard spirits.

As always, you may continue to enjoy our selection of complimentary soft drinks and snacks while connected to our free Wi-Fi. Sit back, relax, and recharge while waiting for your flight!
Old May 8, 2013, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

What really irritates me over this is that Delta raised Sky Club prices recently. If I would have known about this "enhancement" in December, there is a good chance I wouldn't have renewed my membership.

First they take the work cubicles out of the main and b//c skyclubs at DTW, it's impossible to find outlets and many times a seat and now they are downgrading the boozes which weren't top shelf to begin with.
Old May 8, 2013, 10:00 am
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
At first I said to myself that Delta doesn't understand their core customers... Then I realized that the SkyKlub was no longer about core customers...then it all made sense...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.