Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Club beverage changes confirmed by DL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sky Club beverage changes confirmed by DL

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2013, 3:21 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, UA Silver
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
Someone Help Inform The Higher Echelon At Delta Soon!
Nice ^
Old May 8, 2013, 6:32 pm

Programs: The Dastardly Quintet.
Someone Help Inform The Higher Echelon At Delta Soon!
[full belly laugh]
Old May 8, 2013, 6:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by jsmith50
My understanding is that planeside catering is completely separate from anything else that is handled in a physical location, i.e. SC. Doesn't sound like alcohol offerings on planes are changing. Maybe we can use HOOU coupons for premium drinks in the SCs now?
I was just wondering since the plane liquors are the generally the same as what is in the SC... skyy vodka, bacardi rum, tanqueray or sapphire gin etc. Might have to start collecting the little bottles from the plane to use the SC during layovers.
Old May 8, 2013, 7:31 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
I have resisted the urge to create this very post for a while now because people get lambasted on this board for sharing anything that comes from Delta connections, though some have heard these comments from me in PMs recently...not as much rumor as much as insight into what is happening.

I frankly didn't read the letter from DL about the price increases, I get my SC access as a DM not because I'm paying for the product. Yet, Sunday afternoon while golfing with my buddy in management at DL, he shared the following thoughts as I was griping to him about this very thread.

1. Yes, apparently, and to the consternation of many, the SCs are standardizing alcohol inventory. [Note 1] This apparently ties in with their outsourcing of staff within the past 1 - 1 1/2 years ago and the bid process they go through on food products for the club. [Note 2] I'm told that some of the 'premium' liquors will remain, based on availability from the supplier under the new contract while others will be replaced, including, to my personal displeasure, Tanqueray. [Note 3]

2. Beer selection MAY include an upcharge on microbrews and local favorites, my friend isn't quite sure yet how the final details on that will shake out because those are separately provided by local distributors not under the same catering contract and are renewable at the discretion of individual clubs. [Note 4]

3. Supposedly, some of the alcohol selections will broaden, if not immediately over time. [Note 5] I'm told that there are plans to have a house champagne/sparkling wine that will be available for no charge rather than the champagne/sparking wine that is currently only offered for a fee with the premium selections, as one example. [Note 6]

4. Supposedly, cost increases of memberships were due to increasing labor costs, again due at least in part, to DL outsourcing staffing and overall costs of running the clubs. I'm told that there are some positive benefits from the increasing club cost that will be made apparent over the next 12-18 months as DL is 're-imagining' the SC brand. [Note 7] While I was given some 'drawing board' examples, I don't wish to incite a riot by sharing any of those at this point as they are all hypothetical at this time. However, I'm told, broadly, to look at the offerings of the third party commercial ventures opening airport lounges and think of ways that DL needs to draw themselves more into line with these operations seeing as the cost to access those clubs are becoming increasingly cheaper, equal to or below the cost of a day pass to the SC and/or AmEx access and the recent major announcement of one of those 3rd party providers to increase the number of lounges at US airports within the next couple years. Apparently, DL is internally recognizing that with the advent of the broad availability of third party lounges that, gasp, they actually have to be competitive in the marketplace! [Note 8]

Funny thing about all this is that communication on the behalf of DL, as usual, has been poor at best. I'm sitting in the DFW club right now. Someone posted earlier that they had talked with the bartender here who said that he had heard these changes were coming. Bartender on duty now says she's not heard anything about liquor changes. Go figure it would be DL waiting until the last minute to confirm 'enhancements of service.'

Let the daggers begin...
Note 1: "Standardizing" = the Sky Club equivalent of Sky Miles "enhancement"

Note 2: Great. Now we have a third party, even less interested in our customer satisfaction, helping determine how our amenities are reduced.

Note 3: Perhaps replaced by grain alcohol infused with Georgia loblolly pine needles. "I am sorry sir, your G&T will be delayed a few minutes. We are still filtering our latest batch of gin."

Note 4: One of the few unique aspects left at certain of the clubs. "Here, sir, is your 8 ounces of Sweetwater. That will be $7.00."

Note 5: Yes, we will probably have the broadened selection in time to help us celebrate the repair of the award calendar.

Note 6: I cannot think of a sparkling wine bad enough to rise to the needs of the occasion. Perhaps this communicates the thought. WTH am I drinking?!

Note 7: 're-imagining' ??? WTH do they think they have been doing over the last three years as they have transitioned the clubs from fairly decent places to relax, into bus stations?

Note 8: Except, "competitive" in the airline market place means staying one miniscule increment ahead of the competition and making service reductions in step with everyone else's.

Finding a seat is going to be even harder when they take out more chairs to make room for the soda can and bagged snack vending machines.

One has to wonder. As much as some of us view the folks on Virginia Ave to be a low-class lot, how much lower-class do they view the customer to be?
Old May 8, 2013, 8:00 pm

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Let the daggers begin...
I appreciate the insight you were able to get from your contact. I'm interested to see if the selection does broaden over time, but I really don't hold out too much hope.

I don't understand how outsourcing led to higher labor costs, that part doesn't really sit well with me.

And higher labor costs/contract cost with cheaper booze also does not make alot of sense to me.

The bartender at DFW I spoke to was the the blond with the chunky streak of grey? hair. And the guy was wearing a suit behind the bar.
Old May 8, 2013, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Probably higher costs because of the 'management/oversight' portion of the outsourcing as well. Its likely your usual situation with groups like this... you end up paying them the cost of the direct labor including margin, and then additional fees for them to manage the operations. It sounds like they're looking to cut costs by slashing the quality of the product and giving us frat-party style booze. I wonder if its going to come out of the soda gun and not even be in plastic bottles.
Old May 8, 2013, 8:29 pm

Originally Posted by rylan
Probably higher costs because of the 'management/oversight' portion of the outsourcing as well. Its likely your usual situation with groups like this... you end up paying them the cost of the direct labor including margin, and then additional fees for them to manage the operations. It sounds like they're looking to cut costs by slashing the quality of the product and giving us frat-party style booze. I wonder if its going to come out of the soda gun and not even be in plastic bottles.
Now if they break out the Red Solo cups, we'll have a real party.
Old May 8, 2013, 8:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Marriott 5+ BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Originally Posted by james318
Will the Sky Clubs turn into something like this? (semi-SFW... YMMV)

-J.
Old May 8, 2013, 8:38 pm

Originally Posted by jzweighaft
Will the Sky Clubs turn into something like this? (semi-SFW... YMMV)

-J.
Take away the pretty ladies, and this is basically the B10 club in Atlanta.
Old May 8, 2013, 8:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Do they make a 6 oz version of the Red Solo cup?

(Bean counter portion control)
Old May 8, 2013, 8:48 pm

Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
Do they make a 6 oz version of the Red Solo cup?

(Bean counter portion control)
Well, the Red Solo Cup is on the Luxury Bar. What you get for free is the 5.63oz Red Kroger Home Sense cup.

But when they SkyClubs really finish standardizing, it will be the 5.27oz DollarTree Red Cup Like Container.

It was a tough decision, but it was the right decision.
Old May 8, 2013, 8:48 pm

Programs: DL 4MM; DM

snip...

3. Supposedly, some of the alcohol selections will broaden, if not immediately over time. I'm told that there are plans to have a house champagne/sparkling wine that will be available for no charge rather than the champagne/sparking wine that is currently only offered for a fee with the premium selections, as one example.

snip/

For no charge I have to wonder what headache inducing brand they will choose-- Andre or Riunite (sp) .
Old May 8, 2013, 8:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor Contributor BadgeMarriott 5+ Badge

Programs: AS MVPG, DL KM, Bee Six, Bonvoy Plat, Avis PC, Natl Exec, Greyhound Road Rewards Z"L
Take away the pretty ladies, and this is basically the B10 club in Atlanta.
I thought about that and it made me want to curl up in a corner and cry

-J.
Old May 8, 2013, 9:04 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Homework: everyone needs to come up with the announcement notice for this enhancement. Whoever has the closest one to the Delta announcement gets an empty Bombay Saphire mini bottle and a Laurel and Hardy welcome....
Old May 8, 2013, 9:08 pm

Homework: everyone needs to come up with the announcement notice for this enhancement. Whoever has the closest one to the Delta announcement gets an empty Bombay Saphire mini bottle and a Laurel and Hardy welcome....
I like it! I'll have mine in the morning. I had too much Gordon's tonight to focus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.