Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Sky Club beverage changes confirmed by DL

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sky Club beverage changes confirmed by DL

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2013, 1:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by realjd
I'm just as much a paying SkyClub customer with my DL Amex Reserve as I was when I was paying yearly SC dues. You really want to cut costs by getting rid of club freeloaders? Stop providing complimentary access to DMs.
I was referring to the $25 daily fee to get in on the Delta regular Am Ex. They didn't raise that fee but did for regular due paying members (I wish they would eliminate the day passes and groupons).

I am sure many diamonds wouldn't have a problem paying for access if the clubs weren't so crowded and they had better offerings. As a PM I wouldn't have a problem at all with the $50 increase if they would stop with the selling of day passes and groupons and I could find a place to sit and an outlet and they would provide better food.

My complaint with the $50 increase is that it is harder to find a seat, harder to find an outlet, the removal of the cubicles and now a huge decrease in the quality of the alcohol. Most business don't increase their prices by almost 20% and make huge cuts in quality.

I wish Delta would have a flagship/business type lounge at all their hubs open only to higher tier members and people on business class tickets and have better offerings
Old May 10, 2013, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM
Is there an official list of the new rack liquor to be available? What about beer/wine? Will that continue to vary from location to location?

Does this affect brands offered inflight as well?

Diageo also has Smirnoff - why is everybody assuming Gordon's will be the rail vodka on offer (not a vodka drinker, but I think Smirnoff is around the same quality as Skyy, no)?

I do enjoy gin quite a bit, but I think the lowest I've ever gone on the shelf is Beefeater (which in undergrad and as a rail gin at the SC is perfectly acceptable). How does Gordon's compare?
Old May 10, 2013, 3:12 pm

Programs: The Dastardly Quintet.
Happy to report the DTW SC at the south tram station is fully stocked, and has not yet been "enhanced" with Gordon's.

The Skyy is doing the job after a long week!
Old May 10, 2013, 3:20 pm

Programs: The Dastardly Quintet.
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
I was referring to the $25 daily fee...
Exactly. I do not begrudge Reserve or fullPlat Amex holders their privs. It's the fact that I now have to pay a higher rate, and the standard Amex can still get in for $25. Sorry, but if rates go up, shouldn't they go up across the board?
Old May 11, 2013, 12:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
In the DTW center club.

I will be out of the country when the Dark Ages descend on the clubs on the 15th.

Thought I'd have one last Sky Club Tanqueray & Tonic, knowing that the next time my only option will be Swill & Tonic.

Had to ask for the Tanqueray. It had not been placed on the bar. Now I can suspect why.

There was no tonic!

A cooler full of Seagram's raspberry and key lime flavored soda water, but no tonic water.

------------------------
Update: after being told that "If we don't have it here, there is none to be had" I retrieved two cans from the club in the C terminal... to prove to staff here that it could be done. ^^

As good as the staff are here, they act like each club is a world unto its own.

BTW... the staff in the clubs seem to be eye-rolling embarrassed about the impending changes.

Perhaps they see the low-class, tight-fisted, money-grubbing, back-stabbing ____'s on Virginia Ave in much the way some of the rest of us do.
Old May 11, 2013, 12:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by NapaPatTours
Exactly. I do not begrudge Reserve or fullPlat Amex holders their privs. It's the fact that I now have to pay a higher rate, and the standard Amex can still get in for $25. Sorry, but if rates go up, shouldn't they go up across the board?
On the contrary... The AmEx pay-per-visit folks probably already pay much more per visit than SC members. It is your rate that is catching up to theirs.
Old May 11, 2013, 6:34 pm

Programs: ABP, Mr. Mom without the kids, Signor Mucci, DL PM, HH & Hyatt Diamond
I was told, by a SC product mgr, CVG and IND were the only two clubs keeping Woodford due to their proximity to KY.
Old May 11, 2013, 10:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Originally Posted by Italy98
I was told, by a SC product mgr, CVG and IND were the only two clubs keeping Woodford due to their proximity to KY.
I suspect the thoroughbred crowd has a lot of clout.
Old May 11, 2013, 11:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend, Moderator, Information Desk, Ambassador, Alaska Airlines
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AS MVP Gold100K, AS 1MM, Maika`i Card, AGR, HH Gold, Hertz PC, Marriott Titanium LTG, CO, 7H, BA, 8E
Well this is just going to the level of AS... as AS serves Gordon's. That was one of the few reasons to go to the DL SC. Keyword, was.
Old May 12, 2013, 6:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by beckoa
Well this is just going to the level of AS... as AS serves Gordon's. That was one of the few reasons to go to the DL SC. Keyword, was.
I thought the LAX boardroom served Smirnorff Vodka. I never drink when I fly out of LAX, but like the BR because the food offerings are a lot better.

I wonder if the next "enhancement" will be to limit drinks to two per visit like the BR. I could see Delta doing that with the new SDC policy. They will say people who couldn't get on the earlier flight SB are "gaming" the system by going to the SC for three hours for the next flight and drinking too much.

If they ever limit drink to two that will be it for me. The online café at DTW offers outlets and free wifi and can probably have two drinks of better quality booze for free for as much as what a SC visit would cost in the end.
Old May 12, 2013, 9:49 am

Programs: Non-Affiliated
Originally Posted by SFTNYC
Diageo also has Smirnoff - why is everybody assuming Gordon's will be the rail vodka on offer (not a vodka drinker, but I think Smirnoff is around the same quality as Skyy, no)?
It's not really an assumption. Several of us have been told that.

I'll be at the DTW club on Friday, so I'll report back from the field. (though I am sure others will hit it before)
Old May 12, 2013, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
Originally Posted by StayingHomeIsBetter
So, that is what we are going to be served by those folks who "have our back" ...and, I might add, our increased and already paid membership fees.

And, don't forget that they claim they needed to increase the cost of membership due to things like the luxury bar (which offers options costing more than what I pay at real bars) after claiming it wouldn't affect membership fees during roll-out.
Old May 12, 2013, 8:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Originally Posted by realjd
I'm just as much a paying SkyClub customer with my DL Amex Reserve as I was when I was paying yearly SC dues. You really want to cut costs by getting rid of club freeloaders? Stop providing complimentary access to DMs.
That is funny if you are not being serious...
Old May 12, 2013, 9:26 pm

Programs: Delta Plat, IHG Plat, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by Thomas Hudson
That is funny if you are not being serious...
I was just being facetious. It does make me laugh though when DMs who get in for free complain about Amex customers who actually pay for access. Why can't we all just get along?
Old May 12, 2013, 10:06 pm

Programs: DL 1MM/DM, SPG Platinum, Pete's Brass Rail & Car Wash Beer Club
Change in drinks served for Sky Clubs

I was at the the SC at T5 in ATL earlier and the bartender told me that starting this Thursday, 5/16, only Budweiser and Miller Lite will be complementary, and that they are switching the Sky Vodka and tanqueray for Gordon's.....

Has anyone else heard of this??? He informed me that he first heard if this today, and is expecting a huge outcry from patrons come Thursday.

What's next that they'll take from us???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.