Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

New boarding pass notification for TSA PreCheck

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New boarding pass notification for TSA PreCheck

Search this Thread

Old May 4, 2013, 8:21 am

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Debugging TSA PreCheck issues for Trusted Travelers (Global Entry, Nexus)

Originally Posted by gameboy213
I am a GE member and have only gotten Pre 3 times in two years. I am a GM and have verified that all my info is correctly entered on my Delta profile. Yet since this boarding pass change has taken effect I have not seen it on any boarding passes either.

TSA says it is a Delta issue. I contacted Delta and was told it will ONLY show on your boarding pass if you have been pre approved for Pre for that specific boarding pass. I thought it was on all your boarding passes if you are GE/Pre flier.

Can anyone verify?

Thanks in advance.
The first thing to understand is that your DL.com profile is not what is used to validate TSA PreCheck for a particular flight. Rather, it is the "Secure Flight Passenger Data" - saved in EACH reservation - that is used.

Open an upcoming reservation on DL.com, and click on the small text that reads "> Passenger Information". A new section of your reservation will open up with several headings - "Confirm your contact information", "Frequent Flyer Number" and "Secure Flight Passenger Data".

This is the "Secure Flight Passenger Data" section of this reservation which contains the data that is used for TSA PreCheck authorization checking.
  1. Logon to GOES (the GE web site) and note exactly how your name is listed in GOES. Note in particular exactly how your middle name is shown.
  2. Verify that your name is listed exactly the same in Secure Flight Passenger Data as it is in GOES. First Name is identical, Middle Name is identical, Last Name is identical. Of course, Gender and Birthdate must match as well. For example, if GOES uses your full middle name and Secure Flight Passenger Data has your middle initial, this mismatch will likely result in no TSA PreCheck.
  3. Make sure your PASS ID number from your GOES profile is entered exactly in the Known Traveler Number field in Secure Flight Passenger Data. Your PASS ID is nine numeric digits with no spaces and no letters.
  4. Make sure the Redress Number field is blank (unless of course you have a Redress Number). There have been reports of DL mixing up people's profiles and moving their Known Traveler Number into the Redress field.
  5. While you are in GOES, make sure that all of your documents are current and none are listed as expired (current passport, current driver license).
Lets assume that you discover that the Secure Flight Passenger Data section of an upcoming reservation has bad data. Sometimes you are allowed to edit this information on the web site, and sometimes only a Delta agent (phone/airport/twitter) can do it.

Where does bad data come from? There are several possible sources.
  1. If you book reservations on DL.com, at the time a new reservation is created, your Secure Flight Passenger Data is copied from your DL.com profile into the new reservation. This usually works correctly (now, anyway). Once copied into a reservation during booking, future changes to your DL.com profile will only be copied into future reservations created on DL.com and will NOT change any existing reservations.
  2. If you book reservations with a corporate travel portal/web site/agent, your Secure Flight Passenger Data is copied from some sort of profile located within the corporate travel portal/web site or manually entered by your travel agent.
  3. If you book reservations using a third party web site, that web site created your Secure Flight Passenger Data from information they had on that site for you.
Old May 4, 2013, 8:37 am

Programs: DL PM
Originally Posted by mnbp
The first thing to understand is that your DL.com profile is not what is used to validate TSA PreCheck for a particular flight. Rather, it is the "Secure Flight Passenger Data" - saved in EACH reservation - that is used.

Open an upcoming reservation on DL.com, and click on the small text that reads "> Passenger Information". A new section of your reservation will open up with several headings - "Confirm your contact information", "Frequent Flyer Number" and "Secure Flight Passenger Data".

This is the "Secure Flight Passenger Data" section of this reservation which contains the data that is used for TSA PreCheck authorization checking.
  1. Logon to GOES (the GE web site) and note exactly how your name is listed in GOES. Note in particular exactly how your middle name is shown.
  2. Verify that your name is listed exactly the same in Secure Flight Passenger Data as it is in GOES. First Name is identical, Middle Name is identical, Last Name is identical. Of course, Gender and Birthdate must match as well. For example, if GOES uses your full middle name and Secure Flight Passenger Data has your middle initial, this mismatch will likely result in no TSA PreCheck.
  3. Make sure your PASS ID number from your GOES profile is entered exactly in the Known Traveler Number field in Secure Flight Passenger Data. Your PASS ID is nine numeric digits with no spaces and no letters.
  4. Make sure the Redress Number field is blank (unless of course you have a Redress Number). There have been reports of DL mixing up people's profiles and moving their Known Traveler Number into the Redress field.
  5. While you are in GOES, make sure that all of your documents are current and none are listed as expired (current passport, current driver license).
Lets assume that you discover that the Secure Flight Passenger Data section of an upcoming reservation has bad data. Sometimes you are allowed to edit this information on the web site, and sometimes only a Delta agent (phone/airport/twitter) can do it.

Where does bad data come from? There are several possible sources.
  1. If you book reservations on DL.com, at the time a new reservation is created, your Secure Flight Passenger Data is copied from your DL.com profile into the new reservation. This usually works correctly (now, anyway). Once copied into a reservation during booking, future changes to your DL.com profile will only be copied into future reservations created on DL.com and will NOT change any existing reservations.
  2. If you book reservations with a corporate travel portal/web site/agent, your Secure Flight Passenger Data is copied from some sort of profile located within the corporate travel portal/web site or manually entered by your travel agent.
  3. If you book reservations using a third party web site, that web site created your Secure Flight Passenger Data from information they had on that site for you.
Thank you for this response. I have already verified that all of that information is entered correctly and that is why I don't understand that I am not ever getting Pre approved at the security line. I am also not getting the icon on my boarding passes. I am trying to figure out if delta/tsa is missing something somewhere or if I am just not going to get it often.

Do you know if you always get the icon on a boarding pass if you are a member of the Pre program or do you only get it if you ARE going no be allowed into Pre on that actual flight?

Thanks!
Old May 4, 2013, 9:30 am

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
Just a datapoint- yesterday I was travelling on two separate PNRs (yeah, still just as bad an idea as ever) but interestingly only the later boarding pass had the "PreCheck" indication.

I did in fact not get Pre on my first flight and had to do the mini-walk-of-shame and partially disrobe like everyone else...

So I would say this is +1 for the indication meaning you will get Pre.
Old May 4, 2013, 9:57 am

Originally Posted by mother-
Just a datapoint- yesterday I was travelling on two separate PNRs (yeah, still just as bad an idea as ever) but interestingly only the later boarding pass had the "PreCheck" indication.

I did in fact not get Pre on my first flight and had to do the mini-walk-of-shame and partially disrobe like everyone else...

So I would say this is +1 for the indication meaning you will get Pre.
Yeah. That is what Delta said but not what TSA said. Imagine that.
Old May 4, 2013, 10:07 am

Thank you for this response. I have already verified that all of that information is entered correctly and that is why I don't understand that I am not ever getting Pre approved at the security line. I am also not getting the icon on my boarding passes. I am trying to figure out if delta/tsa is missing something somewhere or if I am just not going to get it often.
You say "all of that information is entered correctly" and you are still having trouble. Can you be more specific? Are you a US Citizen, and are you traveling on domestic itineraries? Are you expecting TSA Pre because of GE or because of GM status? Did you enter your PASS ID into DL.com? A common mistake is to enter something like "123456789 ABC12" in the Known Traveler field because that's what's printed on the back of the GE/Nexus card - the actual Known Traveler/PASS ID number is just the nine digits and not the "ABC12" part. Did you look at the "Secure Flight" information in an upcoming reservation? Does your name have anything unusual such as dashes or multiple words separated by spaces or other punctuation? Is your name as simple as FIRST MIDDLE LAST or is it something more unusual? Do you book your tickets via DL.com, or via another method? Which other method? Of course, don't type your actual name or PASS ID number here on FT, but describe it.

With a few more data points, FT can be a wealth of valuable information and tips from others in a similar situation. Remember, we can only help you if you provide enough information that we can recognize what might be happening - obviously we cannot see what you see. We can help, if you help us understand your situation.
Old May 4, 2013, 10:45 am

You say "all of that information is entered correctly" and you are still having trouble. Can you be more specific? Are you a US Citizen, and are you traveling on domestic itineraries? Are you expecting TSA Pre because of GE or because of GM status? Did you enter your PASS ID into DL.com? A common mistake is to enter something like "123456789 ABC12" in the Known Traveler field because that's what's printed on the back of the GE/Nexus card - the actual Known Traveler/PASS ID number is just the nine digits and not the "ABC12" part. Did you look at the "Secure Flight" information in an upcoming reservation? Does your name have anything unusual such as dashes or multiple words separated by spaces or other punctuation? Is your name as simple as FIRST MIDDLE LAST or is it something more unusual? Do you book your tickets via DL.com, or via another method? Which other method? Of course, don't type your actual name or PASS ID number here on FT, but describe it.

With a few more data points, FT can be a wealth of valuable information and tips from others in a similar situation. Remember, we can only help you if you provide enough information that we can recognize what might be happening - obviously we cannot see what you see. We can help, if you help us understand your situation.
Sorry to not be more clear. Haha.

US Citizen

Domestic Travel

I am a 2 year GE member and received Pre from that and not from my status.

My code is entered on the delta.com site and is correct. But it is 10 characters total for some reason. This is my GOES number and it has a letter on both ends.

My secure data matches my Passport data. First, middle, last.

Book through DL.com

I'm guessing the number is the problem as mine is 10 and not 9 characters. It is entered into known passenger number and redress is empty.

Thanks for the help!
Old May 4, 2013, 11:01 am

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Silver, DL Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Sorry to not be more clear. Haha.

US Citizen

Domestic Travel

I am a 2 year GE member and received Pre from that and not from my status.

My code is entered on the delta.com site and is correct. But it is 10 characters total for some reason. This is my GOES number and it has a letter on both ends.

My secure data matches my Passport data. First, middle, last.

Book through DL.com

I'm guessing the number is the problem as mine is 10 and not 9 characters. It is entered into known passenger number and redress is empty.

Thanks for the help!
You need to use your PASSID which if you log into the GOES site is the third line of bolded text on the home screen. This should be nine numbers.

Old May 4, 2013, 11:03 am

Originally Posted by sky303
You need to use your PASSID which if you log into the GOES site is the third line of bolded text on the home screen.

Got it! That is nine numbers! Will cal DL right away and hopefully that will help.

Thanks a lot!
Old May 4, 2013, 11:07 am

When I logon to GOES, at the top of the screen I see the following:

Welcome, mnbp! Today is May 4, 2013
GOES User ID : mygoesuserid
Membership Number / PASSID : 123456789

Are you saying that when you logon to the GOES web site your PASSID looks like "A12345678Z"?
Old May 4, 2013, 11:16 am

Got it! That is nine numbers! Will cal DL right away and hopefully that will help.

Thanks a lot!
No problem. Happy preChecking. According to my interviewing officer, GE members should anticipate preCheck on 100% of domestic itineraries, which has proven true for me.
Old May 4, 2013, 11:24 am

When I logon to GOES, at the top of the screen I see the following:

Welcome, mnbp! Today is May 4, 2013
GOES User ID : mygoesuserid
Membership Number / PASSID : 123456789

Are you saying that when you logon to the GOES web site your PASSID looks like "A12345678Z"?
All set now.
Old May 4, 2013, 11:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by sky303
No problem. Happy preChecking. According to my interviewing officer, GE members should anticipate preCheck on 100% of domestic itineraries, which has proven true for me.
I've been in GE for a while and haven't gotten PreCheck 100% in airports that have it for domestic itineraries, although the one fail that I remember in particular made me suspect that the TSA document checker had the ability to turn off the three beeps for particular passengers. There were several of us in a row, all in a hurry, who expressed surprise not to get the beeps while someone who had let us go in front when her documents weren't ready did get the three beeps. Overall, I'm at about 95% for airports and itineraries where I should be eligible and about 7% for getting it on itineraries where I should not have been eligible (domestic connection to TPAC flight on the same itinerary).

AFAIK if one books domestic connections to international on separate itineraries (not wise for many reasons, including perhaps not being to check bags through), one would get PreCheck for the domestic itinerary. If you didn't need to leave airside (such as to change terminals at certain airports), you would have effectively received PreCheck for international. If everything is specific to particular tickets/itineraries, the computer wouldn't discover that you're going international the same day, right?
Old May 4, 2013, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
AFAIK if one books domestic connections to international on separate itineraries (not wise for many reasons, including perhaps not being [sic] to check bags through), one would get PreCheck for the domestic itinerary. If you didn't need to leave airside (such as to change terminals at certain airports), you would have effectively received PreCheck for international. If everything is specific to particular tickets/itineraries, the computer wouldn't discover that you're going international the same day, right?
That's worked for me as NRSA. If I were flying rev, I would probably avoid separate itineraries for the same trip. But, yes it would work.
Old May 10, 2013, 4:45 pm

Programs: DL DM 2MM, MR LTT, Hilton D, Hertz PC. National Emerald Exec, UA Silver(thanks to Marriott)
Doesn't apply any more. International flights are eligible fpor PreCheck now
Old May 10, 2013, 5:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Formaldehyde Medallion DL DieMiles
Yippee!

I received the eagerly anticipated designation on tomorrow's BP.

Of course, TSA doesn't do pre-check for DL in PHL yet.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.