Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Skymiles rules changes for 2013 are here (at delta.com updates, details inside)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles rules changes for 2013 are here (at delta.com updates, details inside)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Different time, different world, different business. Nowhere for people to run.
Keep telling yourself that
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:52 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by timmy83
What exodus? I don't think these changes are that drastic. If we were talking about a revenue-based redemption system, that would likely trigger an exodus...
The exodus when sLUT fares are earning 50%.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:53 am

Programs: DL DM
Look at Flying Blue. It is the future that awaits us.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Oh don't worry, the rev based redemption system will be coming too. Remember, the initial announcement was just the beginning. Things will be done in phases, and MQMs will be a thing of the past in a couple years and it'll be pure revenue based.

You can kiss your intl BE awards goodbye then, although I'm sure bubba and a couple others will be happy about that so they can sit up front with the rest of the non-revs and not have to see the riffraff pax who got upgraded or are on an award ticket.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by rylan
Oh don't worry, the rev based redemption system will be coming too. Remember, the initial announcement was just the beginning. Things will be done in phases, and MQMs will be a thing of the past in a couple years and it'll be pure revenue based. You can kiss your intl BE awards goodbye then.
DeltaSouthWest
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:57 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM HH Gold, Marriot Titanium
Fair enough, earning rates are likely to decrease, but I am doubtful that they will be quick to move on revenue based earning/redemption.
I actually see DL doing better than the average airline in terms of their offered redemption rates, considering the lack of low awards. Joe Schmo is spending a ton of miles for something that would have cost very little cash to actually purchase because his miles were free anyway
Perhaps an economist can comment on all of this.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:58 am
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Did anyone save the information that was posted since the link is now dead?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:58 am

So this impacts only US-based members?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:59 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by timmy83
Fair enough, earning rates are likely to decrease, but I am doubtful that they will be quick to move on revenue based earning/redemption.
I actually see DL doing better than the average airline in terms of their offered redemption rates, considering the lack of low awards. Joe Schmo is spending a ton of miles for something that would have cost very little cash to actually purchase because his miles were free anyway
Perhaps an economist can comment on all of this.
=-) Calling MSP
Old Jan 16, 2013, 10:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM & 2MM, SPG/Bonvoid LT Titanium, Hyatt Globalist, $tarbucks Titanium
Originally Posted by rwoman
Anyone else doubt we will hear from the corporate reps on this??

Maybe Michelle will come back from her new job to tell us that "this was the right decision and that we should start a conversation"? LOL

I think the bigger story here is arrogance Delta's SkyMiles and Social Media team have for their customers: loyal customers such as us should not have to find out about this via a sudden leak of info that is quickly pulled from their own website. Is Delta not proud of this announcement?
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:01 am

Programs: UA Silver
Poor hub captive, I really feel for you.

Different time, different world, different business. Nowhere for people to run.
"Nowhere for people to run."? geez

What kind of consumer would applaud for negative changes of a product because the producer killed the competitions? You may want to go advocate that the antitrust law is dead wrong.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:02 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by itsaboutthejourney
I think the bigger story here is arrogance Delta's SkyMiles and Social Media team have for their customers: loyal customers such as us should not have to find out about this via a sudden leak of info that is quickly pulled from their own website. Is Delta not proud of this announcement?
Don't forget that many of us probably already have firm travel plans for Spring and Summer. It is outrageous to change the rules come March 1st for airfare already booked. Not to mention the short notice (6 weeks??).
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I think you can probably take that evolution of skymiles post info from LedgeT in the other thread and just change the dates to 2013 instead of 2012. Sure they're late, but its happening.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by currentjer
So this impacts only US-based members?
Yes, the removed info said US based only... for now.
Old Jan 16, 2013, 11:04 am

Programs: Delta Platinum/1MM, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by ryandc99
Did anyone save the information that was posted since the link is now dead?
Earning Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs)

Beginning March 1, 2013, the MQMs SkyMiles members earn on select fare classes will change:
  • For Delta-marketed flights, the MQM bonus for First/Business F and J fare classes will double from 50% to 100%, and Economy M fare class will no longer earn a 50% MQM bonus. This change will apply to tickets purchased on or after March 1, 2013.
  • The above changes also will apply to F-, J- and M-equivalent fare-class tickets on Aeromexico-, Air France-KLM-, Alaska-, Alitalia-, and Virgin Australia-marketed flights. This change will apply to travel flown on or after March 1, 2013.
  • The MQMs you earn on certain other partner-marketed flights will adjust for travel flown on or after March 1, 2013. Visit delta.com/partnerairlines for details by carrier.
Please note that the way you currently earn redeemable miles is not changing.

Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQDs) - Coming Next Year

Beginning January 1, 2014, SkyMiles members residing in the United States (excluding Guam, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands) will qualify for Medallion status based on an additional threshold – the member’s annual spending with Delta, which will be measured by Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQDs). Members must also meet the existing Medallion Qualification Miles (MQMs) or Medallion Qualification Segments (MQSs) qualification criteria.
  • The threshold ranges from $2,500-$12,500 MQDs depending on Medallion level.
  • Alternatively, Delta SkyMiles Credit Cardmembers can be waived from the new Medallion Qualification Dollars (MQDs) requirement if they make at least $25,000 in Eligible Purchases within the calendar year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.