Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A Delta Aircraft Experience Update

Search this Thread

Old Oct 17, 2012, 9:08 am

Programs: DL PM, SW, Hilton, , UAL PM, AA Gold-skeptic
Originally Posted by Chris_DeltaCustExp
Wow...that's a great compliment and is very much appreciated.
Ditto on the compliment. That said, it has taken many years for Delta to have realized that direct communication with this audience is mutually beneficial. I seem to recall Starwood being active in a similar fashion since the late 1990's.

Better late than never though, but it's really long overdue. That said, keep it up.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:16 am
Company Representative - Delta Air Lines
Original Poster

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
Chris, thanks for posting all this great info. ^

a few negative comments though.
I really hope....I mean really hope....that Delta is working on something for much more product streamlining. Its truly disappointing to hear you guys are not doing AVOD on the 90s. These birds are doing routes ~3-4 hours (ex MSP-SAN is nearly 4 hours.....thats a long time without anything to do save window watching) I really do hope Delta will look back into this.

Also. 320/73N fleets suffer from the same problem. I hate to bring up *other* airlines but both AA and UA are moving toward full domestic PTVs and Delta is dropping plans to update a large fleet....that does very long flights....with IFE. (and ATL is seeing less 737s and more scare....airbus and 90s...so now its starting to suck for me.......) *note I do not think UA has announced anything for its A32S but they are still doing LiveTV mods on its 37s....which are quickly making up most of its domestic fleet*

Also I get that you guys are in a little bit of a holding pattern waiting to see what happens with the A320 fleet and the 757 fleet. It would just be nice to see upgrades on aircraft you know will be around for 10-15 more years. (ie the rest of the 738s....the MD90s)

Alright. enough complaining. Again. Great post(and I do have to agree....best fallow up i have seen from someone at Delta.)

* disclaimer I do understand the cost factor of all the above and do understand that Delta is now up the the 3B range in product upgrades. Also understand TechOps doesn't have new seats and IFE products just laying around etc. etc. Just seeing AA and UA having a more streamline fleet....and not streamlined cheaply/poorly(ie no IFE....or just wifi) and watching Delta just kind of eh... is a little disheartening. Hopefully you guys keep moving forward to a great airline.

*disclaimer part 2. also get the idea of pushing for Wifi and etc. Just not all of us can go out and buy 3-5 iPads for the family. I get the idea....I just don't think the majority of the traveling public is ready for that yet.
We will have additional product updates to share in the near future.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 10:19 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by bertsirkin
My wife and I (age 60 yrs+) are traveling in Business Class from JFK-TLV in April - we travel light with no checked luggage, but have a 22" roller each and a backpack each. If we sit in the upper-deck, will we have to "lug" our luggage up to the upper deck or is there space in the lower-deck where we could leave our roller-bags?

thanks,
bert
If your bags are heavy and you think you'll have difficulty carrying them up the flight of stairs you may want to choose seats on the main deck. The two seats in the center next to each other are perfect for couples traveling together.

Last edited by Chris_DeltaCustExp; Oct 17, 2012 at 10:59 am Reason: Grammatical error
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:06 am

Programs: Delta PM, Marriott Plat, Hertz Pres
Originally Posted by Howste
The voltage spec on all USB ports is 5.00±0.25V. The amperage is what you're interested in. An iPad charger is 2.1A (10 Watts), while the iPhone is only 1.0A (5 Watts).
Thanks yea im not an expert on the mechanical side of things all i know is i usually use my ipad on longer haul flights and would be nice to be able to charge it off the on-board USB ports.

Originally Posted by Howste
Yes. The iPhone and iPad chargers are not USB 2.0 compliant.

I've heard that you can actually charge an iPad with a compliant 500mA (.5A) outlet, but not while the iPad is turned on. It will charge slowly though, and if you turn on the screen, all of the power will go to the display instead.
Again, im no expert, but i believe the iPad one is USB 3 compliant? Mine charges off my computer's USB 3 ports but not the USB 2 ports. Either way, curious to know what spec the new ports will be onboard!
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:47 am

*** So I read the board yesterday morning and didn't check it until now right before I hit send - Of course now I see you just answered some questions about the 757-200- screw it I just spent an hour typing this out so I'm sending it anyway - you said that you don't have any updates on the 757-200 but what does the current version look like? please read below and this comment will make sense ***

Chris or anyone that can shed some light on this for me

I have already purchased the tickets for a Delta flight from Newark EWR to Aruba ARU changing planes in Atlanta ATL so this is an after the fact question not which airline I should have picked.

This December I am taking my girlfriend on a trip for her birthday to Aruba - she has never flown in anything besides economy class. I thought I would use my Platinum Amex MR points to help with the cost of first class trip. I waited what seems like forever for another great Delta transfer bonus but couldn't wait any longer so I transferred what I had and did the pay with points plus Amex card (wasn't looking for upgrades or award flights). I tried to find first class flights but it appeared that out of Newark there aren't any pure 1st class flights. The best they had was Business class for 3 out of the four legs and one leg in first class (that was quite odd to me) but I used seatguru and seatexpert to figure out the best seats and booked it.

This is my first post but I have been reading flyertalk and similar sites over the past couple years learning so much about the loyalty programs, points & mileage strategies and CC signups.

I have seen all to often when someone new writes for the first time and asks "how do I fly 1st class for free" and gets blasted by someone(s) for not bothering to do the work by spending the time researching before asking for the easy answer to be handed to them.

With that said.... I have spent hours searching and reading flyertalk in the general forums, delta forums, trip report forums looking to see if I can find a match without luck.
I also searched YouTube for boarding videos, searched multiple other sites i.e. thepointsguy, viewfromthewing etc.... but cannot seem to nail down what were in for. Add to that time on Delta's site (no offense Chris) but its mostly pretty pictures, fluff & propaganda not the real details I was looking for.

My questions is what kind of upper class/front of the plane experience can I expect on these "particular planes and routes"?

I have flown first class a handful of times over the years on different carriers so I know the basic difference but nowadays its so confusing with most people complaining that current first class is yesterdays coach and so on....

What is amusing to me is that the first leg is on a 737-700 (73W) Newark to Atlanta which is called Business Elite on the Delta seating diagram but when we return we take the SAME plane model 73W in the SAME seats from Atlanta to Newark and now they call it a first class on the itinerary & Delta seating chart but its the same plane and route as before??? What's funny is that the flight is later in the evening so we only get a snack on the one truly classified first class flight

On the Delta site while booking my tickets the pop up seating chart calls the flight to Aruba on a 757-200 (front cabin) Business Elite while seatguru & seatexpert still call it first class. I figured they are just using the old charts so no big deal but based on the diagrams it looks like we will be on the version 1 plane not the fancier updated/upgraded Business Elite 200ER (75A or 75E) or any of the other newer models.

I understand that Delta has been pushing the Business Elite brand on US coast to coast flights and long haul international flights with certain model planes incorporating the much upgraded entertainment package, meal service and lie flat beds but these only seem to be available on the specific planes.

Has the version 1 been updated lately or is it the same old business class seat now called Business Elite? Clearly a flight to Aruba is not considered a domestic US flight but it doesn't seem to fall into the long haul international trip rather the short haul classification which seems to relegate it to the regular old domestic plane.

The Delta site never mentions regular business class in the older planes - it only shows Business Elite with the fancy seats, cheese plate & smiling good looking model next is the page on first class seating showing the same cheese plate and other fine amenities then finally we have the economy class page (no cheese plate to be found).

Here is our itinerary

12/3 Newark EWR to Atlanta ATL Flight DL575
Business Class 12 Seats 73W (737-700 Winglets)
Depart 6:10am 2:25 flight time to ATL

ATL to Aruba ARU Flight DL655
Business Class 24 Seats 757-200 (Version 1 ??)
Depart 9:55am 4:04 flight time ARU

12/8 ARU to ATL Flight DL654
Business Class 24 Seats 757-200 (Version 1 ??)
Depart 4:05pm 4:22 flight time to ATL

ATL to EWR Flight DL1682
First Class 12 Seats 73W (737-700)
Depart 9:45pm 2:14 flight time to EWR

I don't want to be seen as whining or complaining about the cost vs. the level of service as my girlfriend will be thrilled to be up front with whatever perks we get I'm just trying to figure out ahead of time what to expect. I am of course hoping that we get to be on the more updated planes with the cooler features but I won't even tell her that we won't be flying in coach until we board or as long as I can keep it a secret at the airport.

This is a post for a different forum but I am also struggling on how to spend the $200 reimbursement for my platinum amex card. The amex will get us into the lounges for free and the first/business tickets get us the free baggage and drinks/meals - I cannot get reimbursed for the gogo internet and if the longer flights don't have the personal TV's I cannot even rent movies. To top it off I can't even buy drinks for the passengers around us because they will also be in upper-class seats (sigh...)

I already read through the specific thread on Amex/DL $200 reimbursements and it seems I'm kinda stuck as the year is almost over and Amex has been tightening up the loopholes. Oh well next year I'll beat them for every penny (actually that is what I said about this year)

Thanks in advance to any and all who reply

ps. I promise any future post on FT will be short and to the point - sorry for the book this time

Scott
Old Oct 17, 2012, 11:59 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM 4MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat Elite, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by rylan
Question:
With AC ports being added, what is the power limit for devices plugged in? I ask because my new laptop from work 'trips' the AC outlets on the current 737s and 75E when it tries to charge the battery after several seconds, and have to unplug for it to reset. This is with a 90w brick. My older laptop has a 65w brick and it works.
I believe the limit is either 70 or 80 watts. If you try to pull more than that, the outlet will trip.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 12:33 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Originally Posted by ftct12
Chris or anyone that can shed some light on this for me
Off topic for this thread, but here goes...

Apart from JFK-LAX/SFO, there is no BusinessElite service on domestic or short-haul international routes.

The premium cabin is marketed as business class (not BusinessElite) for short-haul international flights, but the seats and service are identical to domestic first class. Domestic flights that share a flight number with an international route (e.g., DL17 for ATL-LAX-SYD) are also marketed as offering business class. The seat maps on Delta.com mistakenly label the forward cabin "BusinessElite" on such flights, which is a source of endless confusion among new Delta flyers. How difficult can it be for Delta to get this simple detail right?

Note that you might occasionally see an internationally configured aircraft (i.e., one with a true BusinessElite cabin) on a domestic route, but apart from the roomier seat, service remains unchanged. (Excepting, of course, the aforementioned JFK-LAX/SFO routes.)

Regarding your EWR-ATL-AUA trip, you'll fly on domestically configured aircraft for all four legs. That is, the aircraft will feature first/business class—not BusinessElite—cabins. You'll be served a cold meal EWR-ATL (assuming the flight departs during published meal hours) and a hot meal ATL-AUA, but both will be of the domestic, single-tray standard, not the multi-course BusinessElite offering.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 1:29 pm

Hello Chris, thank you for all your replies on the new updates. You said that all A330 will get the new seats in the 1-2-1. Does this also apply to the ATL to HNL A330?
Old Oct 17, 2012, 2:01 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Microbiology
Hello Chris, thank you for all your replies on the new updates. You said that all A330 will get the new seats in the 1-2-1. Does this also apply to the ATL to HNL A330?
Yes. The entire A330 fleet, including the aircraft used on ATL-HNL.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 2:23 pm

Programs: DL DM/MM; UA Premier 1K; AA EXP; ICH Plat Ambassador
767-300ER's

Thanks for the update. Although you added more details in your post, DL's commitment to upgrading the interiors of the 767-300ER's is old and mostly unfulfilled. I stopped taking SFO-NRT years ago now after you dropped the A330-200 from this route and replaced it with a vastly inferior 767-300ER on this very competitive route. Why has it taken DL so long to make good on a years' old commitment?
Old Oct 17, 2012, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mike_plat
Thanks for the update. Although you added more details in your post, DL's commitment to upgrading the interiors of the 767-300ER's is old and mostly unfulfilled. I stopped taking SFO-NRT years ago now after you dropped the A330-200 from this route and replaced it with a vastly inferior 767-300ER on this very competitive route. Why has it taken DL so long to make good on a years' old commitment?
Hi Mike...everyone at Delta is just as anxious to get the 76ER fleet upgraded as you are. There are many reasons why the program has faced some delays, from the economic environment to aircraft scheduling requirements to the hundreds of other mods in progress concurrently. However...there is light at the end of the tunnel. The 767-300ER fleet with new interiors will be coming out of mod at an aggressive pace...on average it's one ship per week returning to service with the new interior.

Here's the current schedule:

Oct. 12 -- 3
Nov. 12 -- 4
Dec. 12 -- 5
Jan. 13 -- 4
Feb. 13 -- 4
Mar. 13 -- 4
Apr. 13 -- 4
May 13 -- 5
Jun. 13 -- 2
Oct. 13 -- 5
Nov. 13 -- 4
Dec. 13 -- 2
Jan. 14 -- 4
Old Oct 17, 2012, 5:01 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM 4MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat Elite, HH Diamond
757 FC seat recline

Chris,

Again, thanks for the pro-active update on Delta's equipment product offerings, it is refreshing and VERY much appreciated. To that end, can I make a suggestion that applies to every domestic 757 FC seat and often in other equipment: Can you please find a way to control the amount of recline in the First Class Cabin? Way too often I feel that the seat in front of me is in my lap due to excessive recline of the seat in front of me. Almost universally, it makes it impossible for the window seat passenger to exit the row with aisle seat of the row forward in full recline. If you slimmed down the upper portion of the seat back similar to what you've done on the MD88 it might help. Feel free to PM me if you want additional discussion on this topic.
Old Oct 17, 2012, 5:07 pm

Hi Mike...everyone at Delta is just as anxious to get the 76ER fleet upgraded as you are. There are many reasons why the program has faced some delays, from the economic environment to aircraft scheduling requirements to the hundreds of other mods in progress concurrently. However...there is light at the end of the tunnel. The 767-300ER fleet with new interiors will be coming out of mod at an aggressive pace...on average it's one ship per week returning to service with the new interior.

Here's the current schedule:

Oct. 12 -- 3
Nov. 12 -- 4
Dec. 12 -- 5
Jan. 13 -- 4
Feb. 13 -- 4
Mar. 13 -- 4
Apr. 13 -- 4
May 13 -- 5
Jun. 13 -- 2
Oct. 13 -- 5
Nov. 13 -- 4
Dec. 13 -- 2
Jan. 14 -- 4
Chris with the already modified 767ER's, your count seem to imply the entire 767ER fleet will have flat beds in BE by next spring.^
Old Oct 17, 2012, 5:21 pm

(no more fumbling around under your seat searching for the outlet).
Thanks for the detailed update!
Old Oct 17, 2012, 5:26 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
Originally Posted by bertsirkin
...If we sit in the upper-deck, will we have to "lug" our luggage up to the upper deck or is there space in the lower-deck where we could leave our roller-bags?...

Safest bet is to choose seats downstairs. But if I was boarding alongside you, I'd happily take them up for you. I bet you'll have no problem finding a fellow pax who would be happy to help.

Originally Posted by Dawgfan6291
...Its truly disappointing to hear you guys are not doing AVOD on the 90s. These birds are doing routes ~3-4 hours (ex MSP-SAN is nearly 4 hours.....thats a long time without anything to do save window watching) ...

..Also. 320/73N fleets suffer from the same problem... Delta is dropping plans to update a large fleet....that does very long flights....with IFE.

I'm going to send like the parent here, but here goes: bring a book. Bring a crossword puzzle. Give your brain a workout and disconnect from video entertainment for 3-4 hours. You'll survive. You might even like it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.