Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

MQM Valuation Based on Fare Paid Now Showing on Delta.com

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MQM Valuation Based on Fare Paid Now Showing on Delta.com

Search this Thread

Old Sep 5, 2012, 7:55 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG, DL GM, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder

Find me one living current or former antitrust/competition authority division head at the federal/union level on either side of the Atlantic (specifically US or EU) who considers published notification of award chart changes to be unlawful "signaling". Good luck with that, and then send me the fairy godmother in chains too.
Well your task is to find me one executive at a major airline or corporate voice who announces pricing actions before they are implemented and sends out a "published notification" outlining the action....

Good luck with that
Old Sep 5, 2012, 7:58 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by GYEWorldTraveler
Well your task is to find me one executive at a major airline or corporate voice who announces pricing actions before they are implemented and sends out a "published notification" outlining the action....

Good luck with that
Doesn't DL announce certain fee changes, such as checked bag charges, well in advance and doesn't the DOT insist that the higher fees cannot apply to tickets that were purchased before the effective date of the change?
Old Sep 5, 2012, 8:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
I don't think its BS....announcing a change in advance to pricing could be considered "signaling" and could put people behind bars. Don't really think that anyone on the legal team would be dumb enough to let an official voice make an announcement on future pricing actions. Apparently you don't understand the legal implications of such an action.

I've never seen an airline executive or spokesperson come out and say a vague statement like "next week we will be increasing our prices" or a specific statement like "next week we will be attempting a $5 one way increase". Generally there won't even be any sort of announcement of the action until someone notices and writes a blog on it or media starts to contact the airline to ask if they raised fares. Its a touchy area and I don't think anyone wants to break laws and end up in jail.
A simple note the day of the change would have been nice.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 8:02 pm

Programs: AA/US PlatPro & 1.05MM, DL Plat (challenge), UA dirt
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Doesn't DL announce certain fee changes, such as checked bag charges, well in advance and doesn't the DOT insist that the higher fees cannot apply to tickets that were purchased before the effective date of the change?
Yup. Remember the fiasco with US and their associated fee structure?
Old Sep 5, 2012, 8:04 pm

Originally Posted by avidflyer
A simple note the day of the change would have been nice.
No argument there, a good and honest company would announce the changes to customers when the change was made. It definitely sucked finding out the hard way but I can understand why they wouldn't announce something in advance. The amounts were pretty minor but the lack of communication is what frustrates most of us.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 8:17 pm

Programs: Whatever's Cheapest, Accruing Miles, Redeeming for Premium Cabins, Not Chasing Status Unnecessarily
Just checking in to see what was the outcome and... hooray... looks like I was right all along:

just sayin'.....

Originally Posted by aubreyfromwheaton
Maybe new fares were erroneously (or not) loaded as "unpublished/special fares":

Unpublished Fare Mileage Earn Table
Unpublished Fare Class of Service Miles* MQMs*
First/Business - J, C, D, S, I, F, P, A 150% 100%
Premium Economy - Y, B, M 100% 100%
Economy, H 75% 75%
Discounted Economy - Q, K, L 50% 50%
Deeply Discounted Economy - U, T, E 25% 25%

Like another poster said DL.com still says you get 100% mqm on T fares.

But the chart for the unpublished has the discounted MQM's. I still don't get the 25% RDM and 25% of 25% MQM's:

Delta 1604 Detroit-Wayne County, MItoFort Lauderdale, FL T 282 0 282 70 1
Delta 1202 Fort Lauderdale, FLtoDetroit-Wayne County, MI T 282 0 282 70 1
Old Sep 5, 2012, 8:18 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting

Good luck with that
Award chart price changes have been announced in advance by at least 20 major airlines in the past 3 calendar years without a single executive of such airline being convicted for antitrust/competition law violations for award chart price change notification.

Now go find me even one airline executive convicted for doing what your post suggested would be applicable to award chart changes in prices or other award chart attributes. You will have no worse luck finding me the fairy godmother.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 8:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
DL management are really speculating.

I hope their speculation costs them and not SkyMiles customers in the main.
No doubt!

I hope it doesn't cost them. I hope they once again become the customer friendly company I knew many moons ago. I also hope they are at the same time profitable and grow as a company in order to offer their consumers a better product.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 8:22 pm

Adding on to this, don't hotels announce movements of hotels between award tiers at least a month in advance, and allow booking at the old price until the day the new prices go into effect?
Old Sep 5, 2012, 8:23 pm

I believe that optional fees fall under a different category. I may be wrong but I think that the actual ticket prices are handled differently. I have yet to see any airline say "we are raising fares tomorrow".

And yes the DOT does have many regulations that require an airline to disclose all the fees at ticketing and the stated prices for baggage has to be honored.

I just get a kick out of a lot of people here who expect an airline like Delta (or any other airline on FT) to disclose confidential information and want to hear what is being talked about behind closed doors. It is quite unreasonable to expect to be in the loop to all of the companies initiatives and strategies when you are not an insider. I couldn't imagine revealing any of the planned actions that the organization I am a part of were planning as that could allow a competitor to respond/copy or potentially negate any kind of competitive advantage that we planned on creating. Marketing and sales changes like new wifi, new seats, personal TVs, etc are OK to announce in advance but planned increases or other pricing actions really are not OK to announce ahead of the actual implementation of the change. Maybe its just human nature but people want to know too much...
Old Sep 5, 2012, 8:24 pm
Suspended

Yes and yes, routinely without the unlawful "signaling" canard being realized.

If anyone buys the "signaling" concern nonsense arising from award chart price change customer notification, then we've found some individual(s) in the market to buy the Brookyln Bridge.

Even myth-sellers don't always believe their own myths. I hope this is one of those times too.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 8:27 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nfg05
Adding on to this, don't hotels announce movements of hotels between award tiers at least a month in advance, and allow booking at the old price until the day the new prices go into effect?
Many do.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 8:29 pm

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by jamesteroh
Hopefully Delta is realizing just from the reaction on here it will go over like a lead balloon and sack the idea.
Holy hell. Who do some of you think you are? Maybe it would be a good idea to align expectations with actual worth. Some would be thrilled if this happened. And it will happen....just a matter of time
Old Sep 5, 2012, 8:31 pm

Programs: Tegridy Elite

Good luck with that
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/16046191-post61.html

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/12358401-post1.html
Old Sep 5, 2012, 8:32 pm

Yes and yes, routinely without the unlawful "signaling" canard being realized.

If anyone buys the "signaling" concern nonsense arising from award chart price change customer notification, then we've found some individual(s) in the market to buy the Brookyln Bridge.

Even myth-sellers don't always believe their own myths. I hope this is one of those times too.
Well I would say it isn't worth the headache to even be in a position to have someone say the company is "signaling". I believe back in 2008 AirTran launced the $15 baggage fee and a week or two later Delta announced the fee as well and the two were sued for collusion. Would be tough to prove but why would any large company even want to subject themselves to that? This is the reason why Delta (and all other airlines) don't discuss future pricing actions

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.