Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Latest 717 rumor: DL deal in place

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2012, 1:35 pm

Originally Posted by PA42
Where do you work? You cant make false statements about reliability of the BR715 on the 717 and get away with it by sounding like a RR/BMW rep. Again please tell us what your professional experience is with this engine on the 717.
I think it's jussstttt about time to put Mr. Adamj on ignore.....
Old May 23, 2012, 1:43 pm

Programs: I fly for free.
I think it's jussstttt about time to put Mr. Adamj on ignore.....
Psychologically its funny to see why people act the way they act but yes probably will make use of that button soon enough ^
Old May 23, 2012, 1:54 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, HHonors Diamond, National Executive Elite
Psychologically its funny to see why people act the way they act but yes probably will make use of that button soon enough ^
Don't get him started on the AirTrain to LGA.
Old May 23, 2012, 3:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Where do you work? You cant make false statements about reliability of the BR715 on the 717 and get away with it by sounding like a RR/BMW rep. Again please tell us what your professional experience is with this engine on the 717.

If you want to be technical its the evolution of the BR710 on the 717 which is the BR715 (30 series)...58 inch fan diamater, different core and bypass ratio. What is good on a business jet isnt necessarily good when upsized (or downsized) to commercial aviation especially in high cycle situations.
I have the feeling that adamj may still be in high school given the nature of his "interesting" comments.....
Old May 23, 2012, 3:15 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by jlemon
I have the feeling that adamj may still be in high school given the nature of his "interesting" comments.....
I believe he said he's in FP&A. If he's smart enough to do that before graduating high school, more power to him! ^
Old May 23, 2012, 4:02 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Herb687
Boeing 717s are passenger jet versions of a business jet???
No, the 717 is an updated version of the DC-9-30 with new engines.

Northwest Airlines considered a stretched 130 seat version called the 717-300. It did not buy. The 717 shut down soon afterwards.
Old May 23, 2012, 4:29 pm

Programs: DL DM; DL AMEX Reserve; HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by MS02113
Don't get him started on the AirTrain to LGA.
Or on the inner workings of the stock market

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/17852004-post368.html
Old May 23, 2012, 5:00 pm
Suspended

If you want to be technical its the evolution of the BR710 on the 717 which is the BR715 (30 series)...58 inch fan diamater, different core and bypass ratio. What is good on a business jet isnt necessarily good when upsized (or downsized) to commercial aviation especially in high cycle situations.
They aren't false statements.

http://www.aero-news.net/index.cfm?d...e-8743dd53ad97

The 715 engines have been in use by AirTran and other providers who publically disclose the reliability statistics. All of the airlines who have these aircraft report back to various agencies including the DOT and others as well. None of this information is hidden from the public. There are 2 different engine types from what I know and AirTran has some mixed engine fleets some have the upgrades, others don't and I believe Delta wanted them all upgraded and probably got what they wanted with the Mods being done by BMW/Rolls Royce on behalf of them before delivery.

But other than the upgrades which provide for handing certain routes that the other engine derivative couldn't handle, yes these engines have done loads of cycles and the reliability of these engines and the safety rating has been proven for a long time now.

Delta knew what they were getting at here and taking over these subleases was an amazing move since Delta will now have more seats available on its regional fleet flown by mainline pilots.

The 717's for Delta will be even more useful than it was when it was in service for AirTran.

Lots of links and public information support these claims. The only downside is it won't be in Delta's fleet till mid 2013 and beyond.

Last edited by adamj023; May 23, 2012 at 5:18 pm
Old May 23, 2012, 6:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I hear a rumored from aviation forum. WN will acquire the 10 73W aircraft from DL. Any truth about entire 73W aircraft to WN? Is that 737-700 aircraft?
Old May 23, 2012, 7:09 pm

Programs: PC: Platinum, DL: PM, National: Exec
Originally Posted by jlemon
Based on adamj's comments on many threads, I basically ignore his comments and chalk them up to someone with an inferiority complex that feels he has to act like he knows everything. Not attacking him, just stating the image he portrays.
Old May 23, 2012, 7:40 pm

Programs: DL GM, Marriott Lifetime Gold, Hertz 1CG, Caesars Diamond
I think this is a great move. Those tired old -9's may be well kept, but face it, they're old. I know a well maintained plane will last a long time, but not forever. I expect they'll be withdrawn as they time out to their next C/D check.
Old May 24, 2012, 12:05 am

Programs: AA ExecP
Originally Posted by patrickATX
Based on adamj's comments on many threads, I basically ignore his comments and chalk them up to someone with an inferiority complex that feels he has to act like he knows everything. Not attacking him, just stating the image he portrays.
I find them as sources of entertainment.

One of the originals:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/delta...s-today-4.html
Old May 24, 2012, 8:25 am

Programs: PA FT, TW Gold, NW/CO PE, VK Eagleflyer
Originally Posted by patrickATX
That's a bit harsh. I'm sure that the suits in the suites on Virginia Avenue appreciate his incisive analyses and trenchant arguments in validation of their decisions; given the abysmal state of DL's IT, they may not enjoy ready access to Wikipedia and Airliners.net.

Perhaps in recognition of his resolute fealty, a sinecure as a Delta Social Ambassador might be in the offing. In all fairness, he posts more often then those so designated.
Old May 24, 2012, 10:38 am

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Spire, National Exec Elite, Hilton Gold
Analysis on CrankyFlier

Interesting stuff...

50-Seat Regional Jets Slashed by 65 Percent
But that’s not a one for one replacement; there are still an extra 67 airplanes if we do the math. Delta says it wants to keep capacity flat, so what else will happen? The airline will slash and burn the 50 seat regionals. Here’s how Delta lines up with 50 seaters as of the last quarter:

That’s 353 of those 50-seaters buzzing around. And you know what the new contract would allow? No more than 125.

Holy cow, that’s a massive decrease. Delta is happy about this because with oil where it is, those 50-seaters are completely uneconomical. The pilots are happy because they get rid of a ton of outsourcing. But wait, we’re still out of balance. Let’s do some math. The DC-9s have 120 passengers, so multiplied by 21 airplanes and you have 2,520 seats. The 717s have 110 seats, so multiplied by 88 airplanes and that adds 9,680 seats. The RJs have 50 seats, so multiply that by 228 airplanes that are going away and you have 11,400. So right now, we’re removing 13,920 seats and adding back only 9,680. What about the rest?

[sic]
http://crankyflier.com/2012/05/24/de...ilot-agreement
Old May 24, 2012, 10:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Let’s do some math. The DC-9s have 120 passengers, so multiplied by 21 airplanes and you have 2,520 seats. The 717s have 110 seats, so multiplied by 88 airplanes and that adds 9,680 seats. The RJs have 50 seats, so multiply that by 228 airplanes that are going away and you have 11,400. So right now, we’re removing 13,920 seats and adding back only 9,680. What about the rest?

Add in (up to) 70 new 2-class, 76-seat RJs permitted under the revised scope clause waiting to be approved by the pilots. The plan is pretty close to seat-for-seat.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.