Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles Change Rumor?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2012, 4:16 pm

Programs: Southwest A-List Preferred/Companion Pass, Amtrak Select, Priority Club Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Deadtail
Wait a minute....this is another rumor, complete with sources, the silence conspiracy and everything.

Is there a travel illuminati?
I COULD tell you, because I talked to someone who was in a meeting when this was adressed, but he asked me not to tell. But believe me, when I say, you would be shocked....take my word for it.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 4:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, MR Titanium, MR LTP, AA EP, UA Silver
Stepping back in for a moment ... I do hope that those that keep insisting on a 01 APR announcement realize that no company such as DL would ever, ever consider making such an announcement on 01 APR being April Fool's and all.

That's all - back to my double whiskey at the ES Manager's Reception. (Paging ThomasHudson and jsmith50)
Old Mar 28, 2012, 4:28 pm

Location: SEA - DL DM/2MM, *A Gold, SPG Lifetime Plat, some other car and hotel stuff
DL's plan spell the end of Skymiles as we know it.

I've sat quiet on this thread but will jump in on the "truth vs. rumor" controversy.

I'm very unhappy to share that the info in this thread is well-informed. DL intends to switch to a revenue based programs where earn and burn would both be revenue based.

I know no details beyond this, so can only join in the speculation. However, based on history, I would predict that the outcome will be very, very bad. Even for someone who flies on a lot of high $ tickets, this will be brutal b/c most of my redemptions are for very expensive long-haul premium cabin tickets. And always at "low" redemption tier. I'm confident that any fare-based redemption program will be an enormous devaluation.

What I know is the case: DL has done a lot of work to move in this direction. This I know as fact.
What I don't know but am reasonably confident on: They will indeed execute on the plan they've developed.

All the arguing above about which sources are credible and so on is academic. Not to boast, but if you question my credibility, read through my posting history for where I've "broken news" or confirmed things in the past. My track record is perfect. I hope to hell that the streak ends here.

Prediction: If other airlines don't follow, perhaps DL will have to backtrack to remain competitive. In that sense, it is just like fare hikes. If others follow suit, however, the whole FF game as we know it is changed forever, for the worse. In truth, we can just look to UA as the one that matters. If they follow, it's done. If not, there is some hope.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 4:33 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by LedgeT
Stepping back in for a moment ... I do hope that those that keep insisting on a 01 APR announcement realize that no company such as DL would ever, ever consider making such an announcement on 01 APR being April Fool's and all.

That's all - back to my double whiskey at the ES Manager's Reception. (Paging ThomasHudson and jsmith50)
In 2009, AF/KLM made some huge bad changes to the Flying Blue program on April 1 that made many people very unhappy.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 4:35 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by andymo99

Prediction: If other airlines don't follow, perhaps DL will have to backtrack to remain competitive. In that sense, it is just like fare hikes. If others follow suit, however, the whole FF game as we know it is changed forever, for the worse. In truth, we can just look to UA as the one that matters. If they follow, it's done. If not, there is some hope.
How can UA make any changes quickly in their current messed up state?
Old Mar 28, 2012, 4:40 pm
nsx
Moderator: Southwest Airlines, Capital One
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: WN Companion Pass, A-list preferred, Hyatt Globalist; United Club Lietime (sic) Member
Originally Posted by andymo99
What I know is the case: DL has done a lot of work to move in this direction. This I know as fact.
What I don't know but am reasonably confident on: They will indeed execute on the plan they've developed.
Agreed. For example, Southwest spent a lot of staff time and money in early 2007 studying assigned seating and programming that capability into their systems. Some believed that the decision had been made to proceed. Instead Southwest decided to implement numbered boarding, another system they had also tested.

Smart managers will gather all the crucial facts before making a final decision on a major change. The odds of this change happening are not 100%. If DL decides not to change the program but to keep this study on the shelf for possible future use, we may never hear a peep from them officially.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 4:43 pm

Programs: DL EOS...
For the record, I do believe and have said several times something's in the works. My fascination stems from the human behavior within this thread and a "why give 'em any information to use against pax?" belief.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 4:44 pm
Suspended

Programs: Duke of Bombay, Delta Ham Sandwich tm, Delta's Glitch
Originally Posted by nsx
Agreed. For example, Southwest spent a lot of staff time and money in early 2007 studying assigned seating and programming that capability into their systems. Some believed that the decision had been made to proceed. Instead Southwest decided to implement numbered boarding, another system they had also tested.

Smart managers will gather all the crucial facts before making a final decision on a major change. The odds of this change happening are not 100%. If DL decides not to change the program but to keep this study on the shelf for possible future use, we may never hear a peep from them officially.
Smart managers would never have used the Ham Sandwich quote in a public forum, regardless of intent or revised intent...
Old Mar 28, 2012, 4:45 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, HH Diamond, MR Titanium, MR LTP, AA EP, UA Silver
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
In 2009, AF/KLM made some huge bad changes to the Flying Blue program on April 1 that made many people very unhappy.
Was not tracking AF/KLM then as much as I do now so I did not know this. Thanks!
Old Mar 28, 2012, 4:46 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
Yet SQ can sustain an all J plane EWR-SIN.
Originally Posted by HongKonger
One flight, one route, between two cities dripping with money. Not an airline.
Guess you two forgot the all J plane LAX-SIN too.

Originally Posted by jsmith50
I find it interesting and informative that people are quick to flame and harass those of us that have sources at DL and so quick to dismiss that we're trying to provide what information we can, as it becomes available, that is helpful. Personally, I don't have to share anything from my friend on this board at all and I don't view it as an ethical dilemna to share what I have been told by him is specifically okay to post on this site. If I were a DYKWIA, I would simply say, I spend more than $100K per year with travel on DL, I fly >300K BIS miles and spend >$200K on my DL-branded AmEx card (usually paying for my DL travel) and I am sure that whatever the new structure is will benefit me just fine and walk away from this discussion. However, I'm not and I have maintained from the beginning of this thread that I think this situation and associated program changes sucks for all of us who fly DL, not just the FOs and kettles out there. I feel the OP's pain here that he posted that he'll be back after the announcement is made because he too was suitably flamed for sharing information from his sources as well.
Don't mind them mindless twits. I for one am very appreciative of your information.

In fact most of the poster who have contributed or confirmed the rumor are FT-er that have high regard for and always been helpful as they have access to insider information that more often than not comes to light eventually.

Originally Posted by javabytes
This. I know two things:
1. Delta's changes to SkyMiles in the past 12 months do not show a promising trajectory.
2. We're not likely to get much advance notice, if any, and just like the stock market, if you're acting on what everybody else already knows, you'll always be behind the wave.

So yes, this is all rumor and speculation, but unfortunately the shoe fits all too well and I have to make a bet. And that means covering myself. So I will continue to burn miles and divest myself of a large balance that I don't want to be stuck holding should it devalue. There's always the option to come back, but if you proceed ahead blindly faithful (or at least unconcerned until a formal announcement), it's harder to limit your pain if Delta swings the bat.
Touche.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 4:56 pm

Programs: Delta DM MM, IHG Plat, Hilton DM, Marriott SE, Emerald EE, Oakdale Gun Club, NRA & GOA Life Member
Originally Posted by Ti22
For the record, I do believe and have said several times something's in the works. My fascination stems from the human behavior within this thread and a "why give 'em any information to use against pax?" belief.
I'm fascinated with the "I'll be happy if they only take this bit away from us" posts. My opinion is they better not take a damned thing away.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 5:03 pm

Programs: Now just a lowly DL PM/1MM. This industry needs some competition. It's just not enjoyable anymore.
Originally Posted by yohanson
My opinion is they better not take a damned thing away.
They will, but it will be called an "enhancement" that many elites "asked for".
Old Mar 28, 2012, 5:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
They do not understand Anglo-Saxon mentality or humor though.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 5:17 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by DLdweeb
They will, but it will be called an "enhancement" that many elites "asked for".
Well, didn't you ask for the award calendar to not show 'low' when low awards weren't actually available?

Technically I think eliminating 'low' award redemptions would be exactly what you asked for...
Old Mar 28, 2012, 5:58 pm

Programs: Delta Charter KM, DM180, RW, DM, SC, SkyBonus; HH Diamond, IHG Plt Amb, Global Ent, TWIC
It may have been posted so my apologies but SkyBonus is a revenue based system and it works... for me, at least.

YMMV

Despite my reluctance to believe rumors, there has been discussion of SkyBonus as a model.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.