Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles Change Rumor?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 28, 2012, 7:11 am

That's quite presumptuous of you. First of all, you're the one who brought the SEC into the discussion. And besides that, How do you know who is and isn't authorized to say what? I don't know what the truth of the matter is myself but unless someone tells me explicitly or implicitly that the information is not to be shared then I'd feel comfortable sharing it. Not that anyone here would be interested in what I get told.

Originally Posted by pbarnette
So getting in trouble with the SEC is how one measures ethics?

I think the point stands. People that are in a position to know something are there, in part, because they can keep their mouth shut. Whether there are criminal penalties or not, it is unethical to leak information that your employer does not authorize you to leak. Someone that is willing to break that trust is not somebody that I trust. More importantly, for this thread, someone that claims to know and trust somebody willing to break such a trust should be treated with skepticism. I mean, somebody is lying. Either the source is lying to the employer, the source is lying to the leaker, or the leaker is lying to us. I don't like those odds. I'll ignore the fact that one of the posters claiming "insider" knowledge has yet to actually break any news, preferring to simply have their "source" "confirm" rumors previously posted.

Of course, this sort of thread is perfect fodder for those that want to feel connected. It doesn't take connections to make vague claims about devaluations coming at some point in time. I mean, I can pretty much guarantee that we will see devaluations sometime over the next five years, and I don't have any insider information.

You'll excuse me if I treat much of the insider information with suspicion.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 7:19 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by sbjnyc
That's quite presumptuous of you. First of all, you're the one who brought the SEC into the discussion. And besides that, How do you know who is and isn't authorized to say what? I don't know what the truth of the matter is myself but unless my company tells me explicitly or implicitly that the information is not to be shared then I'd feel comfortable sharing it. Not that anyone here would be interested in what I get told.
Most actual changes to the DL "loyalty" program(s) never involved any mention in publicly-available SEC filings nor even in non-disseminated correspondence to the SEC. Apparently the SEC doesn't really care about most all matters of "loyalty" program changes unless there is a substantial, "known" impact on financial statements or financial projections -- and this is not one of those situations.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 7:47 am

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
Originally Posted by nsx
Amex would need to be on board with the change, and the change would need to be neutral or beneficial in value per dollar spent on the Amex card. Southwest did retain value for card users. That's one of the simplest parts of this change.
I don't think you are fully accounting for the MQM variable. If DL further guts the Medallion program or reduces MQM earnings then MQM from Amex fundamentally loses value. It would damage the DL Plat card.

To illustrate - lets say you have a 40k flyer on LUT. That flyer would be FO which is basically only a token Medallion now but the Amex gets her to GM. If LUT MQM gets reduced the Amex boost would be largely irrelevant as an FO is largely the same as a Gold Amex. Anyone like this flyer would probably downgrade - costing Amex annual fee revenue.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 8:04 am

Programs: DL DM, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by LedgeT
Not debating that at all... When I book Y, I expect to fly Y. Everyone in this forum could have an employer-booked Y fare and then (personally) pay to upgrade to full F.
Can you?

Typically to do that, you'd have to pay a $150 change fee on top of the fare difference.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 8:07 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by stevekstevek
Can you?

Typically to do that, you'd have to pay a $150 change fee on top of the fare difference.
Many on here (including me) have had fee waived for cabin upgrade changes. Frankly, if DL officially removed the 150 fee for upgrade to P fare, most of the steam would be taken out of the FT complaints about employers not covering F. Then it would come down to those that want to and can and those that are unwilling to pay for the service they desire.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 8:16 am

Programs: DL Million Miler, Skymiles GM, Marriott Lifetime Platinum Elite
finally!

Originally Posted by bajrbajr
Three days to go... til April fool's day???
It took 94 pages for someone to point out the suspiciously coincidental timing of an April 1st "announcement"?

I'm thinking that some clever FTer is just yanking our chain, and several hundred gullible lemmings blindly jumped on the bandwagon. It certainly helps that all of this is 100% plausible, as DL would certainly do something like this - and still might.

But my money is on a 100 page hoax.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 8:19 am

Programs: Marriott Life Titanium, Hilton Diamond, United Silver, DL, IHG Plat, etc.
Originally Posted by bubbashow
Many on here (including me) have had fee waived for cabin upgrade changes. Frankly, if DL officially removed the 150 fee for upgrade to P fare, most of the steam would be taken out of the FT complaints about employers not covering F. Then it would come down to those that want to and can and those that are unwilling to pay for the service they desire.
Now that would be an interesting game changer so long as it also waived any weird agency rebook fees as well. (my company books via amex and DL adds another $50 on top of the change fee if i call them to change an Amex booked ticket) I've never understood having to pay a penalty when I'm offering to boost DLs revenue.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 8:19 am

Programs: DL DM/1MM, Natl Exec Elite, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diam
Originally Posted by bubbashow
I am so in that camp. I've been fortunate enough to have the change fees waived ($250 on the international journeys for me) trying to bump up to Y/B/M from booked class...

But, the problem is I have to book the airfare initially through our corporate travel agent. Then, I try to use SWUs or miles for an upgrade. I just hang up usually and try again if someone is persistent about charging me the change fee, but I refuse to pay the fare up to Y/B/M plus a change fee and miles/SWU to move up front. My limit is anywhere from $600 to $1000 per leg out of pocket depending on the length of journey, so it's $1200 to $2000 left on the table for a capacity controlled seat if they want to insist on the change fee. I'm not that allergic to sitting in the back.

There's nothing I can do about how my business travel originates, so DL is just going to have to deal with that if they want my business. Also, the e-mails of "Come back to Delta.com" every time I book through our agency are amusing to me... I would if I could, but the way it keeps being "enhanced", I'm glad someone else deals with it for me!
Old Mar 28, 2012, 8:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by jeff30189
It took 94 pages for someone to point out the suspiciously coincidental timing of an April 1st "announcement"?

I'm thinking that some clever FTer is just yanking our chain, and several hundred gullible lemmings blindly jumped on the bandwagon. It certainly helps that all of this is 100% plausible, as DL would certainly do something like this - and still might.

Not true - I pointed it out way before that.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by jeff30189

It would have been a hoax of epic proportions, and definitely the greatest ever perpetrated on FT. I would shake the hand of the OP and buya round of drinks for all those who helped it along.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 8:40 am

Programs: DL DM
Originally Posted by pmaddock
Now that would be an interesting game changer so long as it also waived any weird agency rebook fees as well. (my company books via amex and DL adds another $50 on top of the change fee if i call them to change an Amex booked ticket) I've never understood having to pay a penalty when I'm offering to boost DLs revenue.
A simple little drop down on the itinerary "Upgrade To First" a la the "purchased trip extras" that would allow an upgrade to the lowest-prevailing first class cabin fare (be that P, A, or F) without a fee would be magnificent. I think it could truly add revenue to DL. As a flight filled up and UDU looked worse and worse, I may be tempted to pull the trigger...not for the F service (anyone with any taste knows its abysmal), but for the room.

Last edited by bubbashow; Mar 28, 2012 at 8:49 am
Old Mar 28, 2012, 8:59 am
Suspended

Programs: DM
Originally Posted by pbarnette
And there were far more that turned out wrong. And just how hard was it to guess the major updates? Was anyone shocked when they ported screen technology already launched on the iPhone? Or that they followed the mobile industry by offering 4G?

We have the same thing here. I'm sure some of these rumors may come to pass, but that is because there is absolutely nothing that shocking posted here. At best we have confirmation of the following:
- DL is reviewing SkyMiles
- DL would like to focus rewards on HVCs
- A revenue based model is being considered by DL
Heck, I'm sure all of the above are true. I'm sure that you could replace 'DL' with 'UA' or 'AA' and all the statements would remain true. That doesn't take insider knowledge. Heck, we could have come up with that ourselves. But add "anonymous sources" to the thread and all of a sudden we are supposed to treat it as gospel? Please.

As I said before, I can confirm, through my extensive inside contacts, that DL is considering some changes to SkyMiles that will occur at some time.
Let's not forget about the iPhone 5, that turned out to be the 4S.

2.5 days left until the unsubstantiated part of the substantiated rumor expires. Weeeeeeeeeeee
Old Mar 28, 2012, 9:40 am

Programs: DL GM
I bet we top 100 pages by the end of the day!
Old Mar 28, 2012, 9:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by Deadtail
Let's not forget about the iPhone 5, that turned out to be the 4S.

2.5 days left until the unsubstantiated part of the substantiated rumor expires. Weeeeeeeeeeee
A bit more than that, actually.
(It's still 8:46!)
Old Mar 28, 2012, 9:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by sectflyer
I bet we top 100 pages by the end of the day!
So do I. What do we win if it does?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.