Wiki Posts
Search

Skymiles Change Rumor?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 27, 2012, 5:03 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
If CX matches an AC sale YVR-HKG and CX is in V class and AC is in E class, guess which one I'm taking?
Who cares? Are you arguing that your purchase decision materially impacts the ability of AC or CX to sell seats on that flight?
Old Mar 27, 2012, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by pbarnette
There is plenty of latitude for schedule. But schedule is independent of FF program. The argument of some is that offering a generous FF program can deliver better yields. The evidence for this is limited or non-existent. The evidence for yields being driven by advantageous scheduling is much more convincing.
That's only one end of the spectrum. The other question is how many others go out of their way to travel on a sub-optimal schedule? For instance, I could fly on a more expensive non-stop ticket out of ORD on UA/AA. Or I can drive 20 more minutes and fly out of MKE instead (make up the time because parking/security at MKE is a breeze), usually on a cheaper 1-stop ticket, and on DL. Which do you think I do dozens of times a year? Saves my company money, and I get to fly who I want. My flights are usually more productive or comfortable because of the upgrades. And 98% of the time, making a stop isn't an issue because I'm traveling evenings or weekends, and ORD is a cluster that's usually delayed anyway. If that all goes away, do you think I'll bother?

Last edited by javabytes; Mar 27, 2012 at 5:19 pm
Old Mar 27, 2012, 5:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Who cares? Are you arguing that your purchase decision materially impacts the ability of AC or CX to sell seats on that flight?
AC E fare earns 50% on AC, A3, and many others
CX V fare earns 100% on CX.
I am saying if I am mid tier elite on both and they are offering those fare classes at the same price, I would go for the one with the most miles that benefit me.
So it is not MY decision. It is THEIR decision with the fare earning classes.
(However, If AC was matching CX V fares with a K fare, then I would take AC to play aerolotto and get A3 status faster.)
Old Mar 27, 2012, 5:29 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by GUWonder
So are you claiming that DL wants to make the DL gate agents even busier and increase DL's paper, ink and machine wear costs while perhaps increasing the risk of delayed flights? I doubt that DL is that stupid to do that for most non-Medallions.
I think they mean the same process as for E fares: at OLCI you are given a seat assignment that you cannot change.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 5:39 pm

Programs: DL Diamond Ham Sandwich
I don't know what company you work for, but my company has no +/- 5% rule. We have a lowest fare rule. Period.

Perhaps that is why we have 20+% net margins?
My company asks it's employees to use their discretion.

Perhaps that is why our margins are almost twice that?
Old Mar 27, 2012, 5:44 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Originally Posted by GUWonder
So are you claiming that DL wants to make the DL gate agents even busier and increase DL's paper, ink and machine wear costs while perhaps increasing the risk of delayed flights? I doubt that DL is that stupid to do that for most non-Medallions.
It's being tested right now. I think they pay at check in You know how many families/couples would pay an extra 10, 20 to sit together? I was told that once people pay for the airline ticket, they consider that one transaction. When the pay the fees at the airport for luggage, seats, they don't think to add that cost to what they originally paid for the ticket in their head to get what the total they paid for their ticket, they consider it two transactions. There will be more fees at the airport to get around the new fee disclosure law. It doesn't cover seperate fees at checkin.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United1K, AA ExPlAAt, DL MM/Gold, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
There is plenty of latitude for schedule. But schedule is independent of FF program. The argument of some is that offering a generous FF program can deliver better yields. The evidence for this is limited or non-existent. The evidence for yields being driven by advantageous scheduling is much more convincing.
No. For an airline to be truly successful they need profitable passengers and they need volume. They are not the same and if your stance is that DL or any other airline should only cater to HVCs then why do they have a coach section? The reality, and I am quite sure you know this, is that you need a balance. If DL makes the FF program $$ based then fine, they better hope everyone else does. I do buy a lot of cheap fares but I also buy a lot of pretty expensive fares. I do not think for one minute that I am steering my business to the AL that only gives me points when I pay for the expensive fare....I will be going with the best "total cost" deal. I am also sure I am not alone.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 5:47 pm

Programs: Delta Gold, Delta 1MM, Amtrak Guest Rewards, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
Wow, quite the thread based on a rumor, but I guess all the best are.

As a 90% business traveler I book the lowest fare I can. I can usually justify a slightly higher fare with Delta if the flight is non-stop. We have a $500 limit for fare or we need to get approval. I'm a gold with 65K in miles last year and well on to gold again this year (thank you, rollover), but I am not what I would call a high value flyer, only about $8-10K a year.

Even though I am a gold, because I am in a hub and I tend to need to fly on medallion loaded routes, I am rarely upgraded. I'm not so sure the benefits I get from gold are worth continuing to play the game with Delta, especially if they change the rules. I don't drink, the meals are not worth it, it won't kill me if I don't have GoGo on a different airline. My expectations are so low even normal service comes as a pleasant surprise. Redeeming miles? Let's not go there.

When Northwest went away and a lot of FT'ers said they were abandoning ship I decided to wait and see. Well, I've waited and saw, and I don't see much.

So whether or not there are going to be changes the rumor and the thread have made me decide to look at other airlines. I can get nearly everywhere I need to in the country on Sun Country (the new hometown airline) and AirTran. Any of the other legacies all seem to have the same issues as Delta.

Since round trip to SFO on Sun Country is about $300 vs $750 for dates I want (don't worry about the details, I am just making a point here) it has come to Delta is simply too expensive to fly with, and it sounds like with fewer benefits.

I'm certainly not saying the grass is greener, just that I've decided to expand my choice of airline, so Delta may not get 95% of my air travel dollar, like it did last year.

Cheers,
Pogopossum
Old Mar 27, 2012, 5:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by mother-

Perhaps that is why our margins are almost twice that?
You beat me to it but yea...not all that impressive.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 5:51 pm

And you think that FF programs are key to chasing that market share? If it were, then why do the airlines bother to match fare sales? It would seem that pricing drives market share, not the goodies you throw at your customers along the way.
Supply is tough to alter in the short term and only comes in large quantized units called "a plane" that's why.

Goodies determine how price sensitive a portion of your customers are, this is that silly thing called loyalty. It helps you extract higher rents overall because some of your customers will fly you despite small price differences, or crappy schedules, or needing to connect, etc. This combined with your HVCs and cargo are where your profits come from.

But it the kettles ain't filling the first 70% of the plane you're never getting out of the black.

Some airlines, the LCC's like WN and B6, have a different formula where they fill the plane up with kettles and make money off of them. Delta could never use that model.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 5:52 pm

Programs: UA1k, DL
Interesting. I spent over 10 years at a major financial institution. Our policy was "lowest logical airfare". It required us to purchase the lowest priced itinerary with the least amount of stops. We could pay significantly more for a non-stop flight vs a connecting flight. My new firm requires lowest period. Naturally, international travel, overnight business, etc. have different requirements (F/J).
Old Mar 27, 2012, 5:52 pm

Programs: SkyMiles
Yes

Originally Posted by SFO777
Can't see that one ever happening, unless DL wants a mass defection of elites to AA/UA/US/etc.
plus 1
Old Mar 27, 2012, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by avidflyer
You beat me to it but yea...not all that impressive.
Without knowing what specific industry, that could be an excellent or a pathetic margin...
Old Mar 27, 2012, 5:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Without knowing what specific industry, that could be an excellent or a pathetic margin...
Agreed. Contract manufacturer...huge. High tech/SW pathetic. Bottom line is the OP thew that number out with no qualifier. That was my point.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 6:05 pm

Programs: | *G | STE | HGP ♦ | SPG Au | MR Au
Originally Posted by sbjnyc
Wouldn't it be easier to do away with cheap fares with no minimum stays?
It would be, but then again the airline industry is very seasonal. Their main profit is earned during peak travel season. (i.e.: summer, school holidays, and prior to public holidays like thanksgiving and christmas).

By not providing cheap fares during lull period, they will face more losses because they don't have enough revenue to cover operational cost. Unlike other businesses that can shut down production for several weeks when business is slow, airlines can't do that. They still need to fly, and even if they park the plane, they are still paying rent for it. So it is a matter of how much cost they can cover.

Originally Posted by HongKonger
I have researched backup plans. I mostly fly TPACs. Since my main concern is being able to upgrade Y fares into J (even if they are not the cheapest Y fares) using SWUs, and of course reaching a status that earns me SWUs in the first place, it looks like the only reasonable option is UACO. But they are an absolute mess right now. If anyone knows of any better options please let me know, thanks.
Originally Posted by HongKonger
That too. I've never liked UA. AA doesn't have that many TPAC options. SQ and CX are great, but expensive. DL is by far my best option... as things stand now.
I think AA or UA are your best bet by far in terms of mileage earnings.

Q1 2013 is the target date for the new DL wide body order. My "sources" tell me they are seriously considering the A380.
DL is now planning on selling the double stacked ham sandwiches!

Maybe they should change their name to Subway airlines.

Originally Posted by sbjnyc
I'm not sure if this is directed at me or not. Their $4.5 billion skymiles liability is about 10% of DL's total liability (it's classified as deferred revenue). I had seen somewhere (I think a previous Delta filing) that they value skymiles at about half a cent each. So a $4.5 billion liability means there are 900 billion skymiles floating around. DL says that 275 billion skymiles were redeemed in 2011 so it seems like it's in the ballpark.
Well they made sure that they can't write off that liability real good by introducing no expiry date.

And keep in mind: It only takes one of the big guys (UA/AA) to NOT do this and the choice for business travel will be clear. If left to Employees they will take the airline that gets them a little somethin-somethin over one that blanks them. If the price is the same and FF points can be had with one airline and not another (based on fare class) then guess where everyone will go.

Now, I believe they are all going there sooner or later but it will certainly be a huge disadvantage to the airline who moves first and alone and a potential massive pick-up of volume for the one who stays traditional FF program.
If they keep them within the typical +/- 5% then *most* employers are OK with employees sticking with their program. If I were UA/AA and DL did this I would be testing that limit for sure as the FF program itself would be a real differentiator.
No. For an airline to be truly successful they need profitable passengers and they need volume. They are not the same and if your stance is that DL or any other airline should only cater to HVCs then why do they have a coach section? The reality, and I am quite sure you know this, is that you need a balance. If DL makes the FF program $$ based then fine, they better hope everyone else does. I do buy a lot of cheap fares but I also buy a lot of pretty expensive fares. I do not think for one minute that I am steering my business to the AL that only gives me points when I pay for the expensive fare....I will be going with the best "total cost" deal. I am also sure I am not alone.
+1, I am right there with you.

And I agree with everything you say.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.