FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Skymiles Change Rumor?
View Single Post
Old Mar 27, 2012, 5:13 pm
javabytes
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Plat, Marriott Plat, Nat'l Exec Elite, Avis Presidents Club
Originally Posted by pbarnette
There is plenty of latitude for schedule. But schedule is independent of FF program. The argument of some is that offering a generous FF program can deliver better yields. The evidence for this is limited or non-existent. The evidence for yields being driven by advantageous scheduling is much more convincing.
That's only one end of the spectrum. The other question is how many others go out of their way to travel on a sub-optimal schedule? For instance, I could fly on a more expensive non-stop ticket out of ORD on UA/AA. Or I can drive 20 more minutes and fly out of MKE instead (make up the time because parking/security at MKE is a breeze), usually on a cheaper 1-stop ticket, and on DL. Which do you think I do dozens of times a year? Saves my company money, and I get to fly who I want. My flights are usually more productive or comfortable because of the upgrades. And 98% of the time, making a stop isn't an issue because I'm traveling evenings or weekends, and ORD is a cluster that's usually delayed anyway. If that all goes away, do you think I'll bother?

Last edited by javabytes; Mar 27, 2012 at 5:19 pm