Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

Why can’t business class award seats be booked on Delta.com for Air France flights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why can’t business class award seats be booked on Delta.com for Air France flights?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:36 am

Originally Posted by mtkeller
I don't know that it's fair to say that the ones in IT don't care. I think most IT professionals want their systems to work reliably, and when they fail, they're not happy. By all accounts, it sounds like this is something that was caused by changes AF made in their systems without consideration for how it would impact partners. Anyone know if there's an IT worker strike on in Paris right now?
If they can't link the 2 systems back in 5 days or at the minimum find a temporary manual work around for phone agents, I'd consider IT either incompetent or they have their priorities in the wrong order.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM 2MM, Marriott LT Titanium, Hertz PC, Avis PC
NWA/Deltaflygirl thank you for your help and confirmation about this that it is indeed an IT issue and being looked at. I and I'm sure the rest of us don't mean to target you in any way as to being responsible for causing or fixing the issue. Greatly appreciated that you checked what you could.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:40 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by michael_v
This is pure speculation, but if it was indeed a change on the AF side of things, how is that EF still shows what Flying Blue shows and if EF picked-up whatever change they made, why couldn't DL do the same?
Displaying inventory and being able to book the seats are different beasts entirely. IT management has probably devoted most programmer hours to the impending Evolution of SkyMiles requirements, and so the few who are working on fixing the AF integration (Ha! As if we've ever seen actual integration with AF.) bug are feeling understaffed.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:47 am

Displaying inventory and being able to book the seats are different beasts entirely. IT management has probably devoted most programmer hours to the impending Evolution of SkyMiles requirements, and so the few who are working on fixing the AF integration (Ha! As if we've ever seen actual integration with AF.) bug are feeling understaffed.
As a customer, I truly could care less about IT's internal problems. If what you're saying is true, they are placing a low value on solving a current major issue because of a future project. Both IT and SkyMiles look incompetent in this situation.

The fact is, Delta is currently the only airline prohibiting you from booking available Business awards with one of its biggest partners.

Last edited by Ringside; Mar 20, 2012 at 11:54 am
Old Mar 20, 2012, 11:57 am

Programs: DL Platinum
Within this very string of posts, you can see why an airline, DL or otherwise, might not want to acknowledge such a problem. A couple posts herein are newsworthy and contain important facts. Many of the rest are reasoned and calm discussions of things. But a few are filled with wild speculation lacking any useful sourcing or credibility. There are even a small few filled with random expressions of outrage and anger, which, though everyone's right, America puts businesses on edge.

The business thinks: "If we admit to this problem, then some subset of our customer base with nothing better to do will decide to sue us. It will cost us time and money. Also, admitting to the problem will damage our prestige within the industry. It will place us at a disadvantage to our competitors, etc."

I'm not defending corporate secrecy, but a subset of cranks and idiots in any large group of customers/members/affinity groups often makes things difficult for the rest.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 12:03 pm

Originally Posted by app47
Within this very string of posts, you can see why an airline, DL or otherwise, might not want to acknowledge such a problem. A couple posts herein are newsworthy and contain important facts. Many of the rest are reasoned and calm discussions of things. But a few are filled with wild speculation lacking any useful sourcing or credibility. There are even a small few filled with random expressions of outrage and anger, which, though everyone's right, America puts businesses on edge.

The business thinks: "If we admit to this problem, then some subset of our customer base with nothing better to do will decide to sue us. It will cost us time and money. Also, admitting to the problem will damage our prestige within the industry. It will place us at a disadvantage to our competitors, etc."

I'm not defending corporate secrecy, but a subset of cranks and idiots in any large group of customers/members/affinity groups often makes things difficult for the rest.
If DL were that calculating in not wanting to admit anything, NWA/Deltaflygirl wouldn't have any info to post. I'm sure if you were lucky enough to get her or a rare competent agent on the phone they would tell you about the bug.

My vote is incompetence and poor handling of urgent situations affecting customers.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 2:28 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, Natl Exec Elite, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diam
Hmmm... I know its conspiracy theorist, but I have to wonder if O availability on AF/KL is *part* of EOS's upcoming launch. It looked systematic-- O disappeared from the normal fare availability on EF, and now only shows up on Awards/Upgrades.

When contacting DL, they're totally oblivious to the technological problem we can plainly see, and are reading off the "There's no availability, ever" script-- what if that's true? The SM program is changing so fundamentally that there's no 1:1 comparison to Miles for *whatever* on SkyTeam partners right now and this is their way of limiting that future exposure and liability once this EOS thing launches.

I just hope this gets sorted out soon enough for me to use a SWU on an M class fare on KL on a CPT-AMS return leg when O finally does open for it, or I'm not going to be a happy camper at all.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 2:55 pm
Moderator, Delta Skymiles and Mileage Run

Programs: DL Diamond/MM, Hyatt Diamond, former AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Titanium, Hilton Gold
I tweeted them asking for an update, and got this response:

"We've sent over an inquiry to IT & we're awaiting response while they're investigating. NG"
Old Mar 20, 2012, 4:06 pm

Programs: DL DM; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by doubleA
Hmmm... I know its conspiracy theorist, but I have to wonder if O availability on AF/KL is *part* of EOS's upcoming launch. It looked systematic-- .
What is EOS?
Old Mar 20, 2012, 4:10 pm
Formerly known as fsa_ea

Programs: UA GS/1MM,AS 75k,NK GLD,AA 2MM,DL 2MM,LH FT,AY PLT,IC RA,FMT LT PLT,HYT GLB,HLT DIA,MRT GLD,HRTZ PC
I just hope this gets sorted out soon enough for me to use a SWU on an M class fare on KL on a CPT-AMS return leg when O finally does open for it, or I'm not going to be a happy camper at all.
I just hope this gets sorted out soon enough for me to burn 3 million miles on AF business class redemptions before the implementation of EOS. Unfortunately, I suspect that this "IT problem" is indeed part of EOS.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 4:22 pm

Programs: DL DM/1MM, Natl Exec Elite, Bonvoy Plat, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diam
Originally Posted by vgb2001
What is EOS?
"Evolution of SkyMiles"

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/18230523-post15.html
Old Mar 20, 2012, 5:52 pm

Programs: Delta Ballast Medallion, Card Carrying Honorary KM
Still no BC Award seats on either KLM or AF today, and no ETA for the fix - I reported it to the folks who are sending it on to ATL that people are unhappy - VERY unhappy about this, so hopefully we might hear something SOON...
Old Mar 20, 2012, 6:30 pm

Programs: DL Platinum
I have to wonder if O availability on AF/KL is *part* of EOS's upcoming launch. It looked systematic-- O disappeared from the normal fare availability on EF, and now only shows up on Awards/Upgrades.

When contacting DL, they're totally oblivious to the technological problem we can plainly see, and are reading off the "There's no availability, ever" script-- what if that's true? The SM program is changing so fundamentally that there's no 1:1 comparison to Miles for *whatever* on SkyTeam partners right now and this is their way of limiting that future exposure and liability once this EOS thing launches.
Yes, yes, I see it now. EF is part of the conspiracy. And the reservationists are brainwashed as well. They just read from the script, Stepford-style. And soon Polaris Chicago will drop, and then they will take away our Biscoff cookies. And that boarding music. And then the AirTran 717s will arrive, filled with nothing but seats next to the engine, and no Zone 1 boarding. It has all been foretold on A*.net. There is no hope. No hope at all. Just darkness.

^^
Old Mar 20, 2012, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA Silver
Originally Posted by app47

Well, that some of your customers are idiots doesn't mean you should be a jerk who doesn't admit your problems. Same as if someone steals your money, it doesn't mean you should steal someone else's.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 6:50 pm

Programs: AF Plat a vie, EK Gold, SQ PPS
I just wanted to add that I dont know if it is just an IT thing because I can't even book that flight myself for a regular award using my AF miles and I am Platinum so I have better availability. The only flt I see available is vis AMS. School starts here in France on the 4th and I would be surprised if those seats opened up especially this far out especially because it on a very popular return route for the French. Last year I had lots of trouble getting back and I had nothing confirmed until the day before travel and I had to be flexible with dates.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.