Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 11, 2012, 12:53 pm

Same here. In ATL, some times, the TSA let me go through TSA Pre-check line and some times strictly NO. I am not sure, why!
Old Mar 11, 2012, 4:03 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by flying_q
Maybe I'm missing something. In ATL I just walk right to the precheck line at the south secutity and scan my boarding pass. No issues there, no need to be "invited".
Originally Posted by inkaytown
Same here. In ATL, some times, the TSA let me go through TSA Pre-check line and some times strictly NO. I am not sure, why!
There are two ways to be eligible for PreCheck: invitation by airline for elite customers, and membership in a CBP Trusted Traveler program.

Once you arrive at the TDC, your BP will have been encoded with your PreCheck status. If you have been selected, the scanner will display "LLL", and you should be sent through PreCheck line. If you have not been selected, it will show "CLR", and you should be sent to the regular line.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 5:12 pm

Programs: DL FO, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by 14940674
There are two ways to be eligible for PreCheck: invitation by airline for elite customers, and membership in a CBP Trusted Traveler program.
Can you be eligible for PreCheck if you have Global Entry and are flying an airline other than DL from ATL?
Old Mar 11, 2012, 6:13 pm

Programs: Delta Skymiles PM
Expect a Lawsuit

Does anyone have a problem with the idea that after meeting all requirements of a program one has to be selected. If GE passes are required (though I am sure they are not) one has to pay extra for less scrutiny.Could this program as it grows leads to a big lawsuit against the TSA?

I have been through pre-check several times as LAS, a single mostly empty line. But as the program knows and qualified fliers learn about it this empty line will fill and perhaps even become slower than the regular lines. If the TSA is selecting you for pre-check they may decide to select fewer. Of course the TSA could then say that everyone eligible can use pre-check, they are only randomly select one to undergo an enhanced screening.

Some is going to get mad and try and do something.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 6:25 pm

Originally Posted by AdamS
Can you be eligible for PreCheck if you have Global Entry and are flying an airline other than DL from ATL?
According to the TSA website, only DL passengers can use PreCheck at ATL.

http://www.tsa.gov/what_we_do/escreening.shtm
Old Mar 11, 2012, 6:43 pm

Programs: DL-MM-Diamond HH-Diamond
Originally Posted by jzumrick
Does anyone have a problem with the idea that after meeting all requirements of a program one has to be selected. If GE passes are required (though I am sure they are not) one has to pay extra for less scrutiny.Could this program as it grows leads to a big lawsuit against the TSA?

I have been through pre-check several times as LAS, a single mostly empty line. But as the program knows and qualified fliers learn about it this empty line will fill and perhaps even become slower than the regular lines. If the TSA is selecting you for pre-check they may decide to select fewer. Of course the TSA could then say that everyone eligible can use pre-check, they are only randomly select one to undergo an enhanced screening.

I thought if you hold a GE or Nexus, you get precheck automatically other than that it is random, which it should be. Those with cards have had the extra screening already, etc, those that have not gone through the screening it should be random.
Old Mar 11, 2012, 7:23 pm

Programs: 𓂀
yeah im confused about that as well?
Old Mar 11, 2012, 11:06 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by MR_MAMA
Originally Posted by jzumrick

I thought if you hold a GE or Nexus, you get precheck automatically other than that it is random, which it should be. Those with cards have had the extra screening already, etc, those that have not gone through the screening it should be random.
I paid for GE, but am about 50-50 for being randomly selected.

In ATL on Monday mornings the pre-check line is probably 10x longer than the elite or general lines at the south checkpoint (the only pre-check location). It still takes about the same amount of time to get through though.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 5:32 am
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
Lucky us that the TSA is confused by their own programs and policies. I am a GE and NX member in addition to being invited. The green light is almost always coming up but I am send back later on every other time because I am not a citizen. Sometimes they insist that you need to be one in order to be allowed through ...
Old Mar 12, 2012, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by c_d
Lucky us that the TSA is confused by their own programs and policies. I am a GE and NX member in addition to being invited. The green light is almost always coming up but I am send back later on every other time because I am not a citizen. Sometimes they insist that you need to be one in order to be allowed through ...
Since PreCheck is only for US citizens, they are right in sending you back.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 5:55 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
Ja, the only problem I see in this particular case (and based on how PreCheck works) is that he was only sent back 50% of the time. Something isn't working properly if he went through PreCheck at all.
Old Mar 12, 2012, 6:09 pm

Once you arrive at the TDC, your BP will have been encoded with your PreCheck status. If you have been selected, the scanner will display "LLL", and you should be sent through PreCheck line. If you have not been selected, it will show "CLR", and you should be sent to the regular line.

Agreed! That is what I heard in this forum and also read on the DL website when it was published for the first time. In my case, I was not invited by delta - but when they sent me through the pre-check for the 1st time, i was flying 1st class and 2nd time on coach. I hope they will be consistent with the rules.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 5:30 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Hilton Diamond, Avis First
Was a nice surprise the first time since I did not know about it. But now I expect it and don't get it anymore so it is frustrating.
I m 1/1 out of Vegas but only 1/5 out of ATL.
And I have no got it in the last 3 months, granted I don't try very often anymore

In ATL I found that North security is always the faster but this morning I had extra time so I figure I would go to South security and see if I get selected for precheck!
Well not only I did not once again but the first class lane took over 30 minutes to get thru!
So until TSA becomes more consistent with this program, I m done even trying.
Going to North security will be faster for me 99% of the time.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 5:36 am
c_d

Programs: Feels like FO (AA EXP)
That is the question! They (in TSA) use a vocabulary that is all over the place. It ranges from traveller to passenger of certain airlines to citizen. On the other hand, it is specifically stated that current members of trusted traveller programs are automatically eligible; on others it says you need to be a citizen, yet others include permanent residents. So, once more, which one is it now. The "options" are mutually exclusive.

Originally Posted by jspira
Ja, the only problem I see in this particular case (and based on how PreCheck works) is that he was only sent back 50% of the time. Something isn't working properly if he went through PreCheck at all.
Probably, a little elaboration and sharpening of definition would be highly appreciated!
Old Mar 18, 2012, 9:53 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Last night arriving back at DCA I saw a sign indicating that pre-clearance is coming, but didn't take the time to take a picture of the web link.
Anyone know any more about this?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.