Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2012, 7:59 pm

Programs: DL PM 1MM
Originally Posted by HDQDD
Not true. I've been "selected" for Pre-Check three times now (1 DTW, 2 ATL) and I don't have a TT ID, GE, NX, nor have I ever signed up for any program.
You "signed up" by saving your TSA "Secure Flight" information in your SkyMiles profile - information which includes your full name and birth date. That's the information that results in the TSA Pre-Check validation upon checkin. By using a SkyMiles number that has TSA "Secure Flight" name and birth date information your information was sent to TSA's Pre-Check process and you apparently "passed", three times.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:51 am

Programs: Delta DM, Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum, SPG Gold, National EC Executive, Delta Amex Reserve
Originally Posted by mnbp
You "signed up" by saving your TSA "Secure Flight" information in your SkyMiles profile - information which includes your full name and birth date. That's the information that results in the TSA Pre-Check validation upon checkin. By using a SkyMiles number that has TSA "Secure Flight" name and birth date information your information was sent to TSA's Pre-Check process and you apparently "passed", three times.
still not too clear on this giving the conflicting info in this thread. I went thought pre-check last week, but you are saying it is a random selection, i wont get it every time?
Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:58 am

Programs: Delta Platinum, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by adam1080
still not too clear on this giving the conflicting info in this thread. I went thought pre-check last week, but you are saying it is a random selection, i wont get it every time?
Yes it's completely random. Otherwise, you can imagine that someone with malicious intent could try to take advantage of the system. I'm not sure if that's the sole reason for the randomness, or if there is more to it. But there is no way to tell if you're selected or not, only when TSA scans your boarding pass do you find out.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 6:31 pm

Programs: DL DM, Hilton Diamond, Avis First, Emerald Exec Elite
It's feeling very random. 2/5 at Pre-Check airports (SLC, DCA). I'm DM, no TT, just updated my Delta Profile. At least the FF lines have thinned a bit.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 7:02 pm

Programs: DL, CO, LH, BA etc...
Thanks for the reminder Profile = up to date and I shall be SDC-ing through LGA in hopes of being selected
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:23 am

Programs: Delta DM, Marriott PP and LT PL, National Executive Elite
First time picked this morning...MSP to ORD....very nice experience
Old Apr 11, 2012, 11:55 am

Programs: DL Plat (won't hit DM again) 2MM (2.5), HH Gold, PC Gold, Hyatt Plat
Both ways DCA-ATL last week. What a pleasure.
Even with a steel rod in my left leg and my belt on I don't set off the metal detector.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:14 pm

Originally Posted by dcline414
I paid for GE, but am about 50-50 for being randomly selected.

In ATL on Monday mornings the pre-check line is probably 10x longer than the elite or general lines at the south checkpoint (the only pre-check location). It still takes about the same amount of time to get through though.
If I don't get picked for pre check, I turn around and go to main. Just much faster then elite with one or two sceeners and a lot of people who should Know to empty their pockets, but don't.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:27 pm

Programs: DL SM, Marriott PM, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by dcline414
I paid for GE, but am about 50-50 for being randomly selected.

In ATL on Monday mornings the pre-check line is probably 10x longer than the elite or general lines at the south checkpoint (the only pre-check location). It still takes about the same amount of time to get through though.
I've noticed the opposite. The guy in front of me was selected and I was not. The line for pre-check was much longer than the normal line, but it moves super fast. I kept my eye on the guy who was in front of me and he made it through security 15 minutes before I did.
Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:33 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Hilton Gold
I read through this. It didn't see the answer I was looking for...I was selected today for pre and it was great.

My question is this: out of MSP there is a station setup to check ids/boarding passes that says TSA pre check, the the normal station for sky priority. I scanned my phone and was told to go into the TSA pre area.

How do people know before they get to the sky priority station they are selected for TSA pre and know to use that TSA pre station? Does it say on the printed boarding passes? Obviously my phone did not say anything.

Thanks
Old Apr 11, 2012, 12:42 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by yetter
I've noticed the opposite. The guy in front of me was selected and I was not. The line for pre-check was much longer than the normal line, but it moves super fast. I kept my eye on the guy who was in front of me and he made it through security 15 minutes before I did.
In my experience around 6:30 Monday mornings, I would say there are 200 people in the pre line and 20 in the FC line. I've wondered about asking to NOT go in the pre line when selected, but as I said the pre line can do about 20 pax per every 1 FC/elite. (In ATL they have 2 dedicated pre lines and only 1 FC/elite line.)
Old Apr 11, 2012, 6:35 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by cloud9flyer
How do people know before they get to the sky priority station they are selected for TSA pre and know to use that TSA pre station? Does it say on the printed boarding passes? Obviously my phone did not say anything.
I may be misunderstanding you, but based on my interpretation of what you said, I would think that all passengers who know they are eligible for PreCheck will know to scan at the machine. What I can tell you for sure is that nothing is ever written on the BP about PreCheck. All information is encrypted in the barcode.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 9:15 am

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
Originally Posted by cloud9flyer
I read through this. It didn't see the answer I was looking for...I was selected today for pre and it was great.

My question is this: out of MSP there is a station setup to check ids/boarding passes that says TSA pre check, the the normal station for sky priority. I scanned my phone and was told to go into the TSA pre area.

Thanks
They don't know. When your BP is scanned at the pre-check station, if it does an extra beep or two, you have been selected and you are directed to the Pre-Check line. If not, then you are directed to the other lines. At least, that's how it works at ATL

Something is embedded in the bar code on your BP if you've been selected--it's nothing you can tell from looking at it.

I encourage everyone to check their "profile--about me--secure flight pax data"--to make sure the info is accurate. Then check each of your existing reservations to see if it is entered there correctly--you must check a minimum of 72 hours before flying. Also, verify that you have checked the box consenting to the info being shared with the TSA.

The system works great--I love it.

Last edited by atl runner; Apr 12, 2012 at 9:21 am
Old Apr 12, 2012, 9:18 am

Programs: AA ExecP
As a side note, I have NEVER been selected when I SDCd to an earlier flight.

I have an 80% success rate when not SDC'ing.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 9:27 am

I made the huge mistake of complaining at NOT being picked and was selected for attitude re-adjustment body search.

Lasted about eight minutes. They claimed a substance in my carry-on triggered their machine. But no one ever even physically examined it.

Being "randomly" picked over and over for TSA Pre-Check, you have no clue why the computer nullifies it.

NEVER speak about this out loud in the line...unless you enjoy pat-downs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.