Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Search this Thread

Old May 1, 2012, 8:38 am

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
So.... I have my Global Entry interview next Wednesday. When that's done, I assume I'll then have a "Known Traveler Number." I assume that I then enter that number in the Secure Flight Passenger Data section of my Skymiles Profile. Correct? Will I then be eligible for the TSA Pre-check lines or will Delta have to invite me? I suspect there will never be a TSA Pre-check line in LEX but I should encounter them on the other ends of my travel.
Old May 1, 2012, 9:00 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/1.2MM, UA Premier gold/1MM, Choice diamond, Marriott gold
Originally Posted by DL-Don
So.... I have my Global Entry interview next Wednesday. When that's done, I assume I'll then have a "Known Traveler Number." I assume that I then enter that number in the Secure Flight Passenger Data section of my Skymiles Profile. Correct? Will I then be eligible for the TSA Pre-check lines or will Delta have to invite me? I suspect there will never be a TSA Pre-check line in LEX but I should encounter them on the other ends of my travel.
To my knowledge I have never been invited, nor have I actively opted in, but I was routed to the LAX TSA-Pre line last week, and to the LAS line last month. I do have my traveler information stored in my SkyMiles account. I'm not sure how I'm eligible, but it certainly is nice.
Old May 1, 2012, 9:33 am

Programs: DL SM, Marriott PM, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*
For what it's worth, Monday morning I was traveling with co-worker out of ATL. She has precheck, I do not. I went through Main security and beat her to the gate by 10 minutes.

At ATL it's a crapshoot. Most of the time Precheck moves faster than normal security, but not always.
Old May 1, 2012, 10:00 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Kwaj boy
To my knowledge I have never been invited, nor have I actively opted in, but I was routed to the LAX TSA-Pre line last week, and to the LAS line last month. I do have my traveler information stored in my SkyMiles account. I'm not sure how I'm eligible, but it certainly is nice.
If you filled out the Secure Flight Passenger Data section in your profile and checked the box allowing Delta to share it with TSA, you have "actively opted in". That's all there is to it.
Old May 1, 2012, 10:28 am

Programs: AS MVP, PriorityPass, Global Entry
Once you're approved, you'll be able to get your PASSID from the GOES website. That is the number you enter into the Known Traveler Number field, and at that point you're done (although if you have existing itineraries you may want to enter it on those as well to make sure).

Once that is done, you are good to go. Invitations are not needed when you are using your PASSID to qualify.
Old May 1, 2012, 11:31 am

Programs: DL:360/DM/6 MMer; Bonvoy: Lifetime Titanium 10+M pts, 3100+ nights;
Originally Posted by meballard
Once you're approved, you'll be able to get your PASSID from the GOES website. That is the number you enter into the Known Traveler Number field, and at that point you're done (although if you have existing itineraries you may want to enter it on those as well to make sure).

Once that is done, you are good to go. Invitations are not needed when you are using your PASSID to qualify.
Thanks!

Does having this information in the system eliminated the possibility of the dreaded SSSS on the boarding pass? I've had it twice this year returning to the US (Canada and Japan).
Old May 1, 2012, 2:02 pm

Does having this information in the system eliminated the possibility of the dreaded SSSS on the boarding pass?
Anecdotal evidence says no:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...dated-111.html
Old May 1, 2012, 3:04 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by meballard

Actually, I was shown during my "interview" (really just info verification and a kiosk tutorial) that my trusted traveler number was already on my conditional approval letter. You could probably go ahead and enter it prior to your interview.
Old May 1, 2012, 3:09 pm

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Thanks!

Does having this information in the system eliminated the possibility of the dreaded SSSS on the boarding pass? I've had it twice this year returning to the US (Canada and Japan).
Nope... I got it coming back to ATL from CUN last month. This was after going through pre-check on the outbound and I was also able to successfully use the GE kiosk upon return.

I had no idea what it meant until they split me up from my wife at both security and at the gate and did everything short of a bodily cavity search (both times, just in case I bought some good stuff inside the secure area in the airport!)
Old May 1, 2012, 3:09 pm

Programs: AA EP, HH LT Diamond
I still haven't really figured this out. I fly out of DCA every Monday and I see the TSA Pre-Check line but there is never anyone staffing it. The regular lines are pretty much empty at that time so it's not a big deal but I would like to be able to use it should it ever be an option....
Old May 1, 2012, 8:24 pm

Failure

I'm a whopping 0 for 22 traveling solely between ATL and DTW.

Brief history: I applied for GE when I got my new job and despite no extensive travel history I was approved. Gifted GM by my employer as well (believe PM might be the invite threshold by Delta in ATL) but have not heard those magical triple beeps. Bothers me the most because I shelled out the money for it and 0 for 22 is NOT random. Just emailed the TSA to voice my displeasure.
Old May 1, 2012, 9:00 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Sky Club, United Club, Admirals Club, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by LBJ
Absolutely not true. I was pre-selected by Delta and have used the Pre-check lane a number of times without a Trusted Traveler Number in my profile. I only have my name, gender, and birthdate listed in my profile. They sent out an invitation email to those who made the cut. Initially I believe it was Plats and higher, but later Golds reported getting the invite as well.
I have only been PRE in Las Vegas - twice. Love it. I did not have Global Entry at the time. I do have it now. I am DM with DL so I am convinced it was DL who signed me up and has nothing to do with GE/Nexus.

FWIW, I have not seen any "PRE" lines you cna go into on your own. AFAIK, and I could be wrong but this is my experience twice in LAS, when they scan your BC if you are PRE eligible they send you into the PRE lane but you cannot enter it on your own. Wish more places would have it.
Old May 1, 2012, 9:02 pm

Programs: DL Diamond, Sky Club, United Club, Admirals Club, Hyatt Platinum, Hilton Gold
February story

Sorry if this is repeated

"Eligible participants include certain frequent flyers from participating airlines as well as members of Customs and Border Protection’s (CBP) Trusted Traveler programs (Global Entry, SENTRI, and NEXUS) who are U.S. citizens and fly on a participating airline. Individuals interested in participating in the pilot can apply via Global Entry at http://www.globalentry.gov/." (emphasis mine)

http://www.tsa.gov/press/releases/2012/0208.shtm

So I guess DL did sign me up. Not sure how the TSA would know I am GE though, unless there is a way to use your Nexus or GE enabled Passport to scan your way in? I guess I will have to read the rest of the thread now :-(
Old May 1, 2012, 11:02 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by monkeshine
So I guess DL did sign me up. Not sure how the TSA would know I am GE though, unless there is a way to use your Nexus or GE enabled Passport to scan your way in? I guess I will have to read the rest of the thread now :-(
You enter you Trusted Traveler PASS ID into the Secure Flight section of your booking on the relevant airline. This information is then sent to the TSA.
Old May 1, 2012, 11:04 pm

Programs: AS MVP, PriorityPass, Global Entry
Originally Posted by monkeshine
You don't need to be GE for Delta to sign you up. Having GE/NEXUS/SENTRI is a way to be in the program if the airline didn't sign you up.

It may also change odds of getting PreCheck, but's a different issue/more unknown.

On the self-select PreCheck lines mention above - LAX is a self-select PreCheck line instead of the early check like Las Vegas. More airports seem to be moving to the two position check like Vegas, which I think was the first to implement that method.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.