Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Delta Air Lines | SkyMiles
Reload this Page >

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Definitive "Delta - TSA Pre-Check" thread

Search this Thread

Old Apr 12, 2012, 9:50 am

Programs: DL PM, DL MM
Originally Posted by flying_q
As a side note, I have NEVER been selected when I SDCd to an earlier flight.

I have an 80% success rate when not SDC'ing.
Have you tried using the old BP (wonder what that would do)?

As a side note, I have GE and have always been selected, even when flying AA where I have no status anymore. I have even had the machine do the triple beeps at airports that don't have Pre-Check
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:28 am

Programs: Delta GM, Marriott Platinum, Hertz 5*
Originally Posted by FlyAO2
Have you tried using the old BP (wonder what that would do)?
I have tried this in ATL--It said something along the lines of "invalid date" to the TSA agent. I was almost booted out of the line, but produced my hard copy BP (which was not selected for Pre-check) and was sent to the front of the FC/elite line.

Wouldn't try this again, based on the response I got from the agents--almost seemed like they thought I was a terrorist or something!
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM & MM, Hilton DM, Marriott gold, Hyatt Globalist, Alaska 75K, Wyndham Diamond,
Originally Posted by flying_q
As a side note, I have NEVER been selected when I SDCd to an earlier flight.

I have an 80% success rate when not SDC'ing.
I am 100% out of DTW, including when I SDC.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:08 pm

Programs: DL-PM, 1MM; HH-Gold; Avis First
Originally Posted by LegalTender
I made the huge mistake of complaining at NOT being picked and was selected for attitude re-adjustment body search.

Lasted about eight minutes. They claimed a substance in my carry-on triggered their machine. But no one ever even physically examined it.

Being "randomly" picked over and over for TSA Pre-Check, you have no clue why the computer nullifies it.

NEVER speak about this out loud in the line...unless you enjoy pat-downs.
At ATL (South Security) today, I was not only denied pre-check, but directed to the much longer of two lines open. I politely asked one of the TSA guys why I would have been denied as I have been selected for all other opportunities. He went a long ways to re-scan my BP (denied again), and then told me that Pre-Check is designed not to offer 100% assurance of selection. There were several other DMs with me in the line that took about 20 minutes to clear.

Who do I talk to about compensation?
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:53 pm

Programs: DL PM
Does Pre-Check apply for international flights? I was flying out to AMS last week and was told by the screener that I wasn't eligible for pre-check. That was my 7th flight this year and still no pre-check for me. I've GE and have the information in my delta profile since last year.

One of these days ... sigh.

D3hwsu8
Old Apr 12, 2012, 1:03 pm

Originally Posted by D3hwsu8
Does Pre-Check apply for international flights? I was flying out to AMS last week and was told by the screener that I wasn't eligible for pre-check. That was my 7th flight this year and still no pre-check for me. I've GE and have the information in my delta profile since last year.

One of these days ... sigh.

D3hwsu8
I got the "triple beep" going to CUN last week, but went with my wife in the FC/elite line since they wouldn't grandfather her in.

However, coming back to the US through ATL, the customs agent allowed her to join me in the GE "baggage recheck line" after I cleared global entry and she did not. (The non-GE line was probably 30+ minutes at that point.)
Old Apr 12, 2012, 3:03 pm

Originally Posted by dcline414
However, coming back to the US through ATL, the customs agent allowed her to join me in the GE "baggage recheck line" after I cleared global entry and she did not. (The non-GE line was probably 30+ minutes at that point.)
Hmmm.... is there one of those in MSP or did I just miss it?
Old Apr 12, 2012, 4:58 pm

Pre-Check and Child 13 and Over

Wife and I are both GM and entered our profile information into Delta.com. When we both get the beloved three beeps, it's wonderful for us and our 2 kids.

When one of us gets selected, I/she take/s the kids and all our carry-ons to the Pre-Check line, while the other heads over to the regular line (with no bags, so it's easier).

Here's the interesting thing. We have been told that once our oldest daughter turns 13 later this year, she will no longer be able to come through with one of us. We've entered her information into the Delta website, but she's never gotten the three beeps. I suspect that it's because she's got no status (with the airline, that is ).

It sounds like our strategy will need to be modified later this year.

Any suggestions as to how we can all stay together if wife and I get selected for Pre-Check? Or, do we just have to get all the enjoyment we can out of her tween years?
Old Apr 12, 2012, 5:01 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Auston
Any suggestions as to how we can all stay together if wife and I get selected for Pre-Check? Or, do we just have to get all the enjoyment we can out of her tween years?
Spend 100 dollars and get your daughter Global Entry. Then she can use PreCheck with you on Delta, and even use it herself when flying on other PreCheck airlines.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 5:09 pm

Originally Posted by sbjnyc
Hmmm.... is there one of those in MSP or did I just miss it?
In ATL (until the new international F terminal opens next month), you currently have to claim your checked bags, then recheck them, go through TSA security, and claim your bags (again) on the other side.

If you have global entry, you can bypass the line after you claim your bags the first time and proceed directly to the train after dropping your bags at the second baggage claim. If you don't have global entry, you have to wait in line after you claim your bags to check them the second time through security.

The TSA agent allowed my wife to accompany me after we spent 2-3 minutes trying to divy up our bags, but she made it clear that this is the exception rather than the rule, at least in ATL.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 5:24 pm

Programs: Delta GM/1.5MM ~ United Silver ~ Marriott Lifetime Titanium
So, a little help here.

I got the e-mails from DL when they first sent them out but never responded to them - yeah, my stupidity. Deleted the e-mails and I keep a pretty clean deleted folder so I don't have access to any of the e-mails.

What did I need to do to sign up to start using pre-check, other than keeping my secure flight passenger data updated and allowing DL to share the data with tsa?

I heard somebody say that after registering / responding to the initial e-mail that DL sent out that you got a phone call from somebody at TSA who asked you a bunch of questions, etc to get "approved".

thanks
Old Apr 12, 2012, 5:40 pm

Originally Posted by dcline414
In ATL (until the new international F terminal opens next month), you currently have to claim your checked bags, then recheck them, go through TSA security, and claim your bags (again) on the other side.

If you have global entry, you can bypass the line after you claim your bags the first time and proceed directly to the train after dropping your bags at the second baggage claim. If you don't have global entry, you have to wait in line after you claim your bags to check them the second time through security.

The TSA agent allowed my wife to accompany me after we spent 2-3 minutes trying to divy up our bags, but she made it clear that this is the exception rather than the rule, at least in ATL.
I flew NRT-MSP a few days ago. Went through customs using GE, picked up my bag (didn't recheck it as I wanted to change flights) but I didn't see a way to bypass TSA security. Flights into NY area were delayed anyway.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 5:45 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Lifetime Marriott Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by atl runner
They don't know. When your BP is scanned at the pre-check station, if it does an extra beep or two, you have been selected and you are directed to the Pre-Check line. If not, then you are directed to the other lines. At least, that's how it works at ATL

Something is embedded in the bar code on your BP if you've been selected--it's nothing you can tell from looking at it.

I encourage everyone to check their "profile--about me--secure flight pax data"--to make sure the info is accurate. Then check each of your existing reservations to see if it is entered there correctly--you must check a minimum of 72 hours before flying. Also, verify that you have checked the box consenting to the info being shared with the TSA.

The system works great--I love it.
runner,

As one of the Monday AM Medallions @ ATL, thanks for your concise explanation. Like another upthread, I have come to use the North security exclusively. Normally try to get thru before 6:15A, this past Monday was a little later and got caught in the 6:30A crowd (plus the returning spring breakers)...anyway, got to the scanner and got the 3 beeps. TSA explained that I could go thru the Pre on T South. My question is, as there is always the chance that I am not selected, how are the logistics for getting in the "regular" Medallion line. Obviously you can't cut in...do you have to take the Walk of Shame to the end of another line?
Old Apr 12, 2012, 6:32 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by baccarat0809
I heard somebody say that after registering / responding to the initial e-mail that DL sent out that you got a phone call from somebody at TSA who asked you a bunch of questions, etc to get "approved".
Absolutely not. All you need to do is share the data and update your Secure Flight. The TSA never calls or interviews.
Old Apr 12, 2012, 10:42 pm

Programs: DL 2MM DM & My Wife is a DL 3MM DM
Originally Posted by nycatl
runner,

As one of the Monday AM Medallions @ ATL, thanks for your concise explanation. Like another upthread, I have come to use the North security exclusively. Normally try to get thru before 6:15A, this past Monday was a little later and got caught in the 6:30A crowd (plus the returning spring breakers)...anyway, got to the scanner and got the 3 beeps. TSA explained that I could go thru the Pre on T South. My question is, as there is always the chance that I am not selected, how are the logistics for getting in the "regular" Medallion line. Obviously you can't cut in...do you have to take the Walk of Shame to the end of another line?
There are three lines at the South checkpoint. The Pre-Check, an elite line to the left of the pre-check (it's in the middle), and a general one to the right. If you aren't in Pre-Check, then you are directed to one of the other two, depending on your status.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.